I did it!..........now for the questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by keoni, Feb 8, 2004.

1. keoni

keoni Agent

Today I made my first venture into DIY audio. I constructed an 85 L vented off of the Adire plans. It took about 3 hours to put together, glue, and screw. Its rock solid. Now a couple questions

1) My wife, has said that she may actually prefer a front firing driver, Instead of using this sub as directed in a down firing variation, could I finish it off, put spikes on it, lay it on its side and have a front firing sub?

2) Will I need polyfill or foam? If so what is the best choice and how much do I need. Will I need to put it on the bracing or just the outside walls of the cabinet.

3) When I get and install the amp (250 watt) will the space the amp takes up effect the volume of the cabinet negatively? If so could I double up the MDF to help this?

4) Shiva is a DVC driver. To wire for a 4 ohm amp I must parralel. This means I have to wire from my amp to one set of terminals, out that set of terminal to the other set of terminals yes? What kind of terminals are on a Shiva and how do I wire them?

Any other tips in relation to this cabinet are appreciated.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The amp should only take approx. 1 liter of space. Don't worry about any impact on the volume. Also, you should not need to double up on the thickness of the MDF.

3. keoni

keoni Agent

Well, you got me there too, she knows nothing about subs, only that they move when they hit and thats probably the only reason she has to be honest, I will probably go with bottom anyway.

4. Wayne Ernst

You really don't need a special crimping tool to crimp the spade connectors. Just use a vice grips or similar tool to squeeze the end of the spade connector over the wire.

5. keoni

keoni Agent

great thanks Wayne.[​IMG]

6. keoni

keoni Agent

So what guage wire do I need and what size female spades should I use? I guess I am still not sure how I am going to get two wires into one female spade to connect to the driver.

7. Wayne Ernst

Keoni,

I have some 14 Gauge wire with spade connectors. One one side of the Shiva, there are 2 positive and 2 negative terminals. These are the terminals where you wire off the parallel connections which go to the 2nd voice coil. There is no need to place 2 wires into one spade connector. I'll wire my subs a bit later this evening and post a picture on how it's supposed to look.

I'll be back in about 3 hours with that data. [​IMG]

8. keoni

keoni Agent

I think I am getting what you are saying now but pictures would be incredibly helpful. Thanks.

9. Wayne Ernst

Keoni,

Here are the pictures for you:

This is a picture of one side of the subwoofer showing the connectors for one of the voice coils. There is another connector of the same type on the other side for connecting the 2nd voice coil. Also, take note of the extra male spade connectors on this terminal. One set is for wiring the voice coil and the other is for making the connection to the amplifier. This prevents you from having to instert two wires into one of the female spade connectors when you wire your sub up.
    [​IMG]

Here is another picture showing how the voice coils are wired in parallel for the Shiva driver. The only thing missing from this picture is the speaker cable coming from the amplifier.

[​IMG]

10. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

As far as the size of the spade connectors go, the only thing to take into consideration is the size of the barrel where the wire inserts..

Standard color codes are:

red = 20awg
    blue = 16awg
    yellow = 12awg

You can usually squeeze one size larger in..

11. Wayne Ernst

Travis,

Good point - the reference colors are good to know. Although you can't see the "blue" color in my picture too well, the boots on the spade connectors are a light blue. The package that I picked up indicated 16-14 AWG on it. It seems like most connectors are marked for two wire gauge sizes.

Keoni,

Also, if your wife is still into having the driver fire forward vs. downward, you could check out some of the sealed plans for the Adire Shiva driver. The 54L cabinet, I believe, features a front-mounted driver.

12. keoni

keoni Agent

AH HA! Now I see. I didnt know there where dual male spade connectors for this. That makes much more sense[​IMG]

I actually think I am going to get into sub building a little more seriously than I previously thought. I love woodworking and I am thinking this 85 Liter Shiva is going to be awesome after all the trim, stain, and inlay is finished. My next one will probably be a 54 L sealed Titanic MKII or MKIII. Thanks for all your help I appreciate people spending the time to help a novice. When she is all done I will get some pics up.

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Please do! I love to look at DIY subs... even if they're "nekkid".

14. Wayne Ernst

Dave,

You asked for "nekkid" subs, well here's a pic of the "pair" of 85L Shiva boxes that I'm building at the moment:

[​IMG]