What's new

I did an interview with Sherilyn Fenn... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
As you're all well aware, one of the things I occasionally do for RetroJunk is celebrity interviews. I specialize in talking to retro talents of various types, asking them about their lives growing up and their careers. My latest interview is with actress Sherilyn Fenn. I think the interview turned out really well. Here's a link to it: www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/6256/

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

So what do you all think?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Interesting read, but I don't get a particularly warm feeling about Ms. Fenn from it.

As far as the nuts and bolts of the interview itself, my understanding is that with most ask/answer interviews, the person's answers are usually adapted to conform to written composition standards (e.g. use of complete sentences, a flow of logic and reasoning) as opposed to being a pure transcription of the conversation. The adaptation makes the interview subject look better, but more importantly it makes it easier for readers to follow what's being said. The interview with Ms. Fenn seems accurate to the way she, and people in general, speak in conversation, but it does not make for an easy read.

Of course her words, "Those who can't do, review." are now ringing in my ears. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That was a fine email interview*, and I think you were bold to ask that question about David Lynch's detractors. Her defense of him was right-on.

I read on her site awhile ago that she broke her tailbone, which I know is absolute hell to heal, so I hope she's coming along well.

*I assume it was an email interview because you included a link for her to check out, and because it felt written.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
John - I thought that was an excellent interview - good questions as well as answers - nice job, keep it up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

Interesting read, but I don't get a particularly warm feeling about Ms. Fenn from it.

That's because it's a real interview instead of a fluff piece to promote a movie or TV series being released. Fenn didn't have any stake in this one, which freed her up to be honestly, sometimes dispassionately so.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If it was done via email then I have other concerns (not about John). I can appreciate candidness and honesty. But some (maybe a lot) hinges on the delivery (again, nothing to do with John). Edit: I read the interview again and she doesn't seem as curt. Also, I can perhaps understand the grammatical problems if this was done via IM (which seems more the case than email). And as others have said, good questions.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I do all my interviews by e-mail. I don't have an IM program and I can't write and talk on the phone at the same time, so I do everything by e-mail. If I have to write something down while talking on the phone, I usually have to put down the phone, write down a word or two, ask for the next few words, and so on. E-mail is more convenient for me.

Thanks for the good words about my work. Talking to celebrities is something that I enjoy.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Always writing something new...Or trying to, at any rate.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Neato! Great that you had the opportunity to interview her. I had her Rolling Stone cover on my wall for quite a few years...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Joh hasn't posted here since this, I wonder where he went.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe he finally got the Mr. Fusion working, hit 88 mph, and jumped back to 1985 to live in retro bliss?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks