What's new

I ***DESPISE*** Easter Eggs! (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
With some of these god damned animated menus and animated sub-menus & FBI warnings & studio Logos & THX intros. I sometimes feel like the movie itself is the hidden easter egg
frown.gif

Easter eggs on dvds don't really bother me. But let me tell you all what does give me a severe case of the Red Ass. CDs with hidden bonus tracks at the end, Yeah sure it was kind of a novel gimmick the first time but now it seems like every other CD out there has one, So we have to listen to 5-10 minutes of silence before the last song, Which is just fucking wonderful when you have the things on repeat play
furious.gif

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I have never spent one second searching for an Easter Egg on a DVD. It bugs me so much that I'd have to search for a feature that I just ignore the whole damn concept.
In fact, even as a kid I never liked looking for (real) Easter Eggs. "Come on, Mom...just give me the goddamned eggs!"
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen (now in Palm Reader format) and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Is there a site that lists all DVDs containing EEs and how to access them?
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hidden_features.shtml
On the subject ot EE's: I am in between. If you must include an EE, please make it easy to access (perfect examples: Mallrats and The Rocky Horror Picture Show); this randomly-generated, wear-out-your-batteries, punch-in-a-bunch-of-numbers stuff is really starting to get on my nerves.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Lafe F

Second Unit
Atari started the Easter Egg hunt with their Adventure video game cartridge. Back then, it was hidden by naughty programmers. But now Easter Eggs are meticulously planned in the early development stages. I also hate it when the TV entertainment programs report on hidden goodies on DVDs like it's the coolest new thing.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I agree that EE's are abominations and should be outlawed - literally. They cheat the average consumer and annoy those of us who go to the trouble to find their keys on the internet. Would you buy a car if you had to find some trick to make it back up? I think not!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Here's a suggestion if Mr. Ling is watching
Why not create a button on the menu just marked "random stuff" and throw whatever you have on there in just one big video stream. No complex authoring, no tricks, everyone happy. This way, you also don't have to commit to any content as well
However, stuff like the T2 cut should be hidden if it's not officially a cut of the movie
Oh, and it's been almost 2 years, and NO ONE has found it. Where's your dog on The Abyss?
Jeff Kleist

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I agree. I hate Easter Eggs. They were stupid waste of space in computer programs, and they're stupid waste of space on my DVDs.
True Easter Eggs were stuff hidden by the programmers listing their names. If the guys that did the re-mastering did something lke that, it would be fine.
But hiding supplemental material and calling it an easter egg sucks.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If you really don't like them just don't look for them. If you don't know they exist, you won't miss them.
Most of the time, the extras contained in the easter eggs are devoid of anything really interesting.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
A question about the EEs that require punching in numbers: The remote control for my Sony DVD player doesn't have a number pad. Do the TPM and T2 discs have some way of entering numbers if they're not on your remote? I have the T2 UE, but I haven't bothered to find the hidden cut, since I watched the deleted coda in the supplemental materials and was happy with that.
Also, while I don't hate EEs, I do find them annoying, especially if they're not that obvious to find. Following a half dozen steps to discover a few minutes worth of supplemental material is irritating (yes, you can print them out and stick them in the cases, but that's annoying too). I'd rather that they stick stuff like pics of their dogs and their names (a la the old Atari 2600 Adventure and other carts) in the EEs, so that you can dig around and find them if you're so inclined, but those of us who don't want to bother can still get to see all the supplements.
And who thought it was a good idea to have to go through all those steps to find the *random* EEs in the Terminator SE?
- Brad

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice to see all the "I used to think they were cool, but now I'm sick of 'em" posts. This thread has come up before, and each time, the concensus seems to be more and more against these suckers. I'm proud to say I've hated them from day one! :)
One of the studios previewed a few titles for us in Cali. . .both had a lot of cool features. . .one had a very simple, fairly self-explanatory menu, the other had a menu like on the old King Crimson Deja Vrooom disc, that DOESN'T SHOW THE MENU CHOICES!!! You have to randomly click around and each item appears as you reach it (then disappears as you move to something else). How annoying. You'd think people would have noticed that that doesn't work after DV (I sure did!). I'll give DV a pass since it was the first disc to try something like that, and I appreciate that they tried something new.
I won't mention the title or studio, since I don't want to sound negative towards them- I VERY MUCH appreciate ALL the studios who saw fit to participate in our meet!!! :)

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
I equate them with the 'All your base are belong to us!' craze. It was cool, for a while, as long it was a seldom encountered, underground thing. Then EVERYONE got in on it, and now, it's overdone, overhyped, gross beyond belief. My revelation came while looking for the LOTR trailer and the infinifilm option on 'Little Nicky', me and my buddies going, 'Who the fuck would think to DO this shit???!!!'
Answer: No one.
furious.gif

------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
As for the "hidden bonus track" thing, ummm.... I'm guilty. I put one of those on my CD.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
I didn't see an answer to an earlier post, so I'll ask again for them -- is there a site that lists EE's? Didn't DVD Resource have them? That site seems to be gone (unless they moved and left no forwarding redirect).

GaryEA

Second Unit
Take this response with the abundence of respect it's written with. Your opinions are your own and this I'd like to add mine.
Wow. There's a lot of hostility here about hidden features. I agree that it's silly when a feature that you would think would be right there in the menu ends up being two clicks and a bit of confusion away. That's the disc's producers getting away with goofiness.
But why is it, if the is such an annoying fact of DVD, I never hear about this stuff when a studio chat comes along? I don't know, maybe it does comes up more than I notice when you guys have them at attention.
Where are the petitions? Or the bevy of long threads after every release that has a hidden feature? Aside from this one, I mean.
Three pages of the words "Hate", "Loathe", and "Despise". Alright, you guys are upset and venting. But is it really that bad? I can think of a lot of things that deserve the word "hate" right now, but none involve entertainment. Let's try to keep this in perspective. I'm not saying that you should weigh this topic against current events, or the misfortune of a friend. This is an personal, insular debate. But "despise"?
It's an easter egg.
I liked looking for Shell Beach, and the many eggs hidden in a lot of anime titles. The T2 third cut seemed silly, but OK, I'll just type the numbers in. No big deal.
Comparing eggs to Myst; That I agree with. The difference is that I had fun doing both.
To each his own.
Good afternoon gentlemen,
Gary
[Edited last by GaryEA on October 05, 2001 at 09:12 PM]

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Anyone catch that press release on www.thebigpicturedvd.com that said the Matrix: Revisited disc would feature three hours of hidden features?
I'm still thinking it was a misprint of some kind, or hoping it was. With that much stuff hidden, will anything be left out in the open?
Hiding a harmless tidbit (like the revelation of what was in the Fed Ex box in Cast Away) doesn't bother me. I would agree, however, that having to perform laborious number punching in order to access substantive content is a drag.
--Jefferson Morris

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dont hate easter eggs, i dont love easter eggs..
They're not that annoying.. I mean if you wanna see it, just push a couple buttons and look... I never search for an EE, i just go to the site, and see what it has on my new DVD...
My favourite one has to be the one in BLINK182: THE URETHRA CHRONICLES.... its F-ing hilarious!
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks