What's new

I ***DESPISE*** Easter Eggs! (1 Viewer)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
It is the Angry Ange. And I used the word ***DESPISE*** because "hate" or even "despise" just wasn't strong enough. I had just spent an enjoyable hour or so enjoying my Quadrophenia disc only to flip the case over and see that there were other features listed, ones that I would have to root through to find. I was perturbed. I still am. I shouldn't have to play a freaking video game to find relevant features on a disc.
P.S. Mocking others' posting habits serves no purpose except to amuse the mocker and annoy the mockee. If you don't like it, please just don't read the post.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on October 04, 2001 at 06:35 AM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I hate easter eggs also. If it's a stupid little thing or unofficial then they can be acceptible. If they are legitimate special features then why hide them? And advertizing "hidden" features on the cover of a DVD is the stupidist thing I've ever heard of. If they're "hidden" then why tell everyone about them?
I just wish that the DVD producers would spend a little time on making menus practical and usable instead of all the "Gee-whiz" bullshit we get.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
DVD Angle has posted instructions for EEs in The Phantom Menace DVD. Jeez, just reading them makes my head spin!
DISC ONE EASTER EGG:
Hidden on of the first disc is a hilarious 2-minute gag reel, outtakes, and DVD Credits presentation for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. This small nugget alone is almost worth the price of the set.
The number “1138” is forever branded into the minds of Star Wars fans everywhere, so it comes as no great shock that it is the key to an Easter Egg on this set. To access the gag reel and outtakes, from the “Options” menu on the first disc, first enter the number “11” (which will probably be “10+, 1” for most people, or possibly “1, 10+”), followed by “3,” and then “8.”
Those that have trouble accessing this feature due to hardware conflicts can simply access Title 3 directly.
DISC TWO EASTER EGGS:
From the individual deleted scenes interface, there is a small button on one of the projector arms of the laser doors. To access this button, move up to the “Doc Menu” selection and press right. This button can only be activated from the first two scenes, and leads to introductory interviews and explanations that appear to be…get this…interview segments that have been deleted from the Deleted Scenes Documentary, which is almost enough to boggle the fanboy mind.
MENU EASTER EGG:
That's right, folks, even the menus for this DVD have hidden tricks. For those that are partial to a particular planet from the film, there is a way to access each one specifically.
All commands are entered at the “Attention” screen that follows the FBI Warning at the beginning of the disc.
During that “Attention” screen:
For Tatooine: Press and release the “2” button on the DVD remote.
For Naboo: Press and release the “Audio” button on the DVD remote.
For Coruscant: This one is a bit trickier, and may differ from player to player, but for remotes that use the “10+” button to access double digit numbers, forget that “10+” button, and quickly press the “2” button twice.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I use to think that EEs on DVDs were fun, but now I agree that they're starting to go a little bit too far with this.
Even the recent Citizen Kane disc had a couple of Easter Eggs. One of these leads to a nice little interview snippet with Robert Wise. What I'm afraid of is that if I pop this disc in a year from now I may forget that the interview is there.
I play the Independance Day disc (I fully admit that it's almost sacriledge to mention this film in the same post that mentions Citizen Kane) around twice a year for guests and while I still remember how to get into the Alien Spaceship to activate the main Easter Egg on the Supplement disc, I sometimes forget the code sequences required to activate the two "Easter-Eggs-within-Easter-Eggs" while inside the Spaceship.
It's starting to get to the point where we may need to purchase and archive DVD "hint books" in order to fully enjoy our discs!
------------------
Joseph
---------------
"As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create."
[Edited last by Joseph Bolus on October 04, 2001 at 08:50 AM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
I thought they were kind of cute at first, but now I absolutely hate EEs. I loathe them, I despise them, I wish they had never been invented. Words cannot convey my deep inner disgust at these things.
------------------
My DVDs
"Well, that's it then. You must have tripped over the cat."
"Where did it come from? There's nothing up there but ceiling. I love how these animals just fall straight into your hands. I mean, what do they do? Hang upside-down by their claws and wait for people to pass by?"

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I cant say that I hate EEs, I'll take all the SE stuff I can get my grubby hands on
wink.gif
. What I do hate is when you have to go to the moon and back to find them. Those instructions for the EEs on Phantom Menace are
eek.gif
BTW, I've seen some people selling EE lists on Ebay
rolleyes.gif

------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I am devoted to Easter Eggs with a love that dare not speak its name...
:) OK, maybe I'm not that fond of them, but if the feature is inconsequential enough, I don't mind. Even if the feature has some substance, I don't mind as long as it is easy to access. If it is a complete pain to access and actually interesting, it does bother me. Independence Day was probably the most egregious example of this. The making of the film is more interesting than the film itself in that case. :) Easter Eggs are a good outlet for stuff like gag reels or stuff that would not have made the disc otherwise due to being found late in a disc's production, for instance.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another EE hater here. I do not feel that I should be required to search Internet sites just to view all the content on a disc that I paid for. I never bother. If the EE can be found easily, I may view it. I thought the contortions required to view the third cut of Terminator 2 was ridiculous.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Easter eggs don't bother me as long as they are worthwhile and fun...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I am kinda in the middle on this one...
I agree- EE's should be extra "tidbits", surprises, like Spy Who Shagged Me- NOT Features like on Quadrophenia. They should be fun or funny things.
I do not mind too much the game ones, like Shell Beach, because you KNOW what you are getting into there- and you can do it or pass on your own.
I do mind INCEDIBLY the "secret code" EE's, like T2 or SW:TPM.... for the life of me, I can never remember that date for T2, and while I can always remember 1138 for TPM, I always mess up the two digit vs. the one digit numbers (for the record, it is "11" and then "3" and "8")
EE should be fun.... not hard work. You can almost always spot the Icons that are EE, and that is cool. I remember getting Dr. No and Goldfinger, and being impressed I found them- not to hard there. But these code things and other stuff that make you jump through hoops to get the EE, FORGET THAT!
One final suggestion: an EE that removes the other EE (Edge Enhancement). That would be a good EE!!!!
dave

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely LOATHE Rotten Eggs The T2 egg, while I can understand the justification for hiding it, is a pain in the ass. I have hundreds of little slips of paper tucked into my DVDs to help me remember how to find the damn things that seem to be everywhere.
But the worst yet is the recent Image/Something Weird release of Monsters Crash the Pajama Party (I know, but it sounded like fun). There are 33 items on this disc and other than the commentaries to the main film, they are ALL, COUNT EM 32 FUCKING EASTER EGGS, ALL, hidden on completely unlabeled menus!!!! The film itself is hidden!! The thing is a goddamned outrage. I have a mind to chop the fucking thing into little bits and mail it to Mike Vraney with a decapitated voodoo doll. AVOID THIS DISC AT ALL COSTS!!!
furious.gif
angry.gif
furious.gif
angry.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
furious.gif
angry.gif
furious.gif
angry.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on October 04, 2001 at 02:39 PM]

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Last Saturday at Studio Day hosted by Dave's Laser, Van Ling said they hid the third cut of T2 because Cameron thought it was a much weaker version of the film. OK, I got no problem with that.
But most EE's just show that software developers have too much time on their hands....
I'm with you Ange.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Does that "Monster Party" disc at least show everything without that damned "SWV" on the screen? I bought a Something Weird drive-in double feature that had that onscreen during all the drive-in trailers!! They've surpassed Madacy on my must-avoid list; Mike Vraney sure has a messed-up idea of "film preservation". Lemme know where to get that voodoo doll :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one here who found Jeff Ulmer's post--re, "Hamm and eggs"--hilarious? LOL, Zardoz compadre.
As for the subject: It was fun at first searching for the buggers, but like many others here, I've found that the novelty has worn off.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I wish my life were so meaningless that easter eggs on DVDs could upset me.
GET OVER IT, FOLKS!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Whoops, so furious I double posted
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on October 04, 2001 at 05:44 PM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Monsters disc also has the SWV logo plastered on nearly everything.
angry.gif
So if the menus weren't enough for you, there's that too. I don't understand what makes Vraney think someone is going to try to steal this crap and bootleg it (as if he actually owned any rights to the things he puts on disc--it's nearly all PD stuff to begin with).
I did, however, run across a roadmap to the disc that will help anyone else suffering the same frustrations with the menu:
http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorro...124222360.html
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks