1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I ***DESPISE*** Easter Eggs!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

[RANT]
    Just brought home Quadrophenia on DVD. It's one of my favorite films, and a movie that had a very powerful impact on me as a teen. I was in a band that played a bunch of Mod music; we dressed in zoot suits and war coats and worshipped the Who. I wore two VHS copies out.
    Finally, after months of waiting (nearly a year after the original street date), I have it in my hands, only to see, on the back cover, some very interesting features listed as "Easter Eggs."
    OK, number one: what the hell kind of an Easter Egg do you list among the special features?? That's not fun, that's torture. Hidden trailers of other movies or useless garbage like that I can take; I don't need to see that anyway. But real features?? What kind of crap is that??? Is it an interesting feature? Then just put it where everyone can find it instead of patting yourself on the back about how clever you are. And number two: I can't STAND Easter Eggs!!!! What am I supposed to do, have a little book next to my DVD collection with all the codes for all my discs' EEs in it?? How much time was robbed out of our lives trying to find f%$#ing Shell Beach??? Please, PLEASE, just put everything on the disc in the menus, or even list everything on the back with chapters like laserdisc.
    Man, I hate this crap. If I want to mess with this garbage all day I can play Myst.
    At least the animated menus and music are pretty cool, and they don't freeze my player like Di$ney discs so often do...
    Oh, and here's the opposite, almost equally annoying thing: I also got The Mummy Returns (widescreen, thank you very much) the same day, and half of its "special features" seem to be theme park commercials, Scorpion King trailers, or PSAs. But at least I can skip filler.
    This stuff pisses me off royally. I hate the way DVD is treated as a grown-up toy and not as a vehicle for art. Sigh.
    [/RANT]
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!
    [Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on October 03, 2001 at 05:12 PM]

2. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I agree 100%.
    They used to be fun but the novelty has now worn off.

3. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

To me they were never fun. There was no novelty. Just aggravation and time that could have been spent doing other, more important things like quality control.

4. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Count me in. I'm sure Ron would have some choice words for them as well. Of course, he's already said them. [​IMG]

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    We have had this discussion before.
    Sometimes there is a very good reason, like when the material is not "official", and the choice is either to leave it out or to have it allowed as an easter egg. Honestly, I don't find it very exiting, but also, I cannot find it very repulsive either.
    Cees

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

EEs can suck, but there are some good ones that are worth finding, like the Doctor Evil documentary on the Austin Powers 2 DVD. Just wait a while after a DVD comes out and then find out its secrets on the internet. Try to remember them, and if you can't, then they probably aren't worth it.
    You aren't exactly paying extra for EEs. You're buying the movie because you want it, not because you want the Easter Eggs, so don't worry about them.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

8. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

(rim shot)
    It's not exactly the idea of EEs that I hate, it's the fact that they are increasingly becoming features that should just be listed and findable. Quadrophenia is just the latest example.
    [Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on October 03, 2001 at 05:30 PM]

9. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

You're preachin' to the choir as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't agree with you more. I've always HATED Easter Eggs on DVDs.
    -Jerry

10. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I've hated them, but there is the occasional great one, such as the one on the last disc of the "Godfather" set.

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I like finding the easter eggs , but listing them as part of the special features is a bad move.

12. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Ok But admit it there is one easter egg that even you had to like....
    The one on Mallrats when Kevin Smith pops up to tell you how foolish it is to look for easter eggs. [​IMG]
    I personally hate them for the most part. I can't wait until DVD Profiler adds a section for them just to make them easier to track.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

13. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

As if we needed more proof that Kevin Smith knows where it's at.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

14. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

They should change the name to Santanic Eggs
    or at the very least, "Rotten Easter Eggs"
    because they too stink!
    -Mark

15. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

EE SUCK! [​IMG]

16. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I kinda like easter eggs; they're a nice depository for stuff that otherwise would be left off a disc (I'm not crazy about the whole EE thing on "Independence Day," however).
    What I ***DESPISE*** are people who have to begin a thread with not "hate," not "dislike," but ***DESPISE***. I got the point, thank you very much. That's what I ***DESPISE***.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I actually enjoy Easter Eggs.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Add me to the Easter Egg HATERS. I never bothered to find any.
    --
    Holadem

19. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

Easter Eggs suck! I hate them with a passion.
    Where's Knappy been lately? He would have a few choice words about easter eggs. [​IMG]

20. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Easter eggs are annoying. I don't like the way some DVD menu's are becoming half-assed videogames. And conversely, it drove me nuts when I had a Sega CD and they released "games" that were half-assed movies (Sewer Shark, and its brethren.) At least that trend is gone, and the PS2, DC, all have great games. Hopefully the studio's will realize a lot of people don't enjoy poking around on the disc for a feature that could have been listed on the menu.