I could use a little advice with hard drive installation/problems surrounding it?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Howie A, May 30, 2003.

1. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

This was just something I a friend had mentioned to me, but I am sure to have more questions as time goes on.
    Right now my machine has 2 physical drives one is partitioned so the drives are as such:

A: (Floppy)

C:
    D: (Hard Drives)
    E:

F: (CD-R DRIVE)

Now, here is my first question.
    I play many games and was told that once I add a HD and name it say F:
    then change the CD-R drive to G: that I will lose all my saved games.

Is it true that the saved games will no longer work with the game if the
    drives are a different letter?

Thanks and please check back as I am sure to have more important questions?

2. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

What I am truly going to be doing is adding a C:
    and using the existing C: as a extra drive.

The only thing I will need to do is add the operating system to the new C: and I can always format the old C:
    later on down the line. Right? I was thinking of doing it this way in case there is anything on the drive I
    forgot I have some time to look through it before I format.

Or will the operating system (from the old drive) somehow conflict with the new drives OS?

Also is their a web site that explains the correct and easy way to partition a drive?

What is a good amount of disk space to allocate for a C: if its only being used for operating system
    and other system files? I will install all other programs on the other drives.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

well I can answer the games question. typically you won't lose saved games from a drive letter change, you may have to reinstall the game however as the registries information on the games location and it's actual location will differ. but this can vary from game to game. games should always be able to find saved games since the game should be looking in a folder from it's root and not the system root (if that makes any sense [​IMG].

I do what you are claiming all the time, the old os on the second drive will just be a folder (windows , winnt , etc) you can just delete that folder after you collect any information you need from say your "my documents" or desktop.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

You will not lose your saved games. That's silly. The system might change drive letters for your physical drives, but that depends on where the drives are located in the IDE chain.

If the operating system is Windows 2000 (possibly Windows XP?) you can change your drive letters through the hard drive manager.

You neglected to specify exactly which partitions are on which of your current two hard drives. This information would be useful to help you with this.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Easiest way to play it save would be to find the gamesave files and copy them somewhere else.

Brent

6. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

The C: is a 3Gb and the D: & E: are a split 20Gb.

I was thinking of getting a 160Gb and spliting that and just
    getting rid of the rest or a 60Gb and keeping the 20Gb also.

If I get the 160Gb can it be split more then once?

160Gb @ 7200RPMs for $100
    60Gb @ 7200RPMs for $40

What to do? What to do?
    [​IMG]

**edit:** Just a dumb question to those that do this type of thing often.
    What would you suggest I try and locate before preceding with the new drive installation?
    i.e. Windows disk, patience.........

7. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

Opps one more thing before I foget..
    Is there a way to find out how large a drive your CMOS will support?
    If it won't support a drive as large as I planed on getting is there a way to flash
    the CMOS and update it to see the larger drive space?

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I would say to put the 160GB drive in to replace all of them. The speed difference alone is justification for getting rid of both of your existing drives.

Slice the 160 into three partitions, perform a fresh install of the operating system, reinstall your apps, games, and so forth, and dump the data files back. Theoretically once you re-install everything (to rebuild the registry) you can just do a mass dump of the entire directory structres of all three drives except the Windows directory.

Yes, the 60+20 will gain some advantages withthe ability to access both drives simultaneously, but you're still talking about only having 1/2 of the capacity of the 160 GB drive and further slowdowns because of the slow data transfer rate of the 20 GB drive.