What's new

I could swear Elijah Wood isn't from England. (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
He's been in so many American films!

I could swear he invented that phoney English accent for LOTR!

What do you think?

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Saw him on Letterman tonight, he's from Iowa, I think.

Plus, he lived in New Zealand for sixteen months, soaking up that culture, and filmed three movies with a largely British cast, so he might have picked it up instintively. You ever unconsiously imitate a friends laugh? Similar thing.

BTW, he did sound ever so slightly British tonight on Letterman.

Incidently, I thought Gwyneth Paltrow was English for a solid 4 years. :b

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
And I thought Cate Blanchette was a hick! (that means an American of poor southern roots) The first thing I ever saw her in was The Gift. It was a real revelation to watch that, and then the interview piece on the dvd, where she let's her Aussie accent all hang out. Anyway, I grew up watching Britcoms, and quite often did my own bad impersonation of English accents.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Gwyneth did a fine accent for Emma, as did Zelwegger in Bridget Jones.

Keanu Reeves did not do a fine accent in Dracula.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
And I thought James Earl Jones was a damn good Darth.

Then I learned David Prowse was Darth Vader, and I thought, whoaaa...Mr. Prowse does a damn fine James Earl Jones.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I thought I was English for about a year.
Turned out I was just bored.
- brought to you by Wayne's World (sort of) :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
The only American capable of a convincing English accent is Patrick McGoohan. There have been a few "nice try, still off" performances (cf Zelwegger, Paltrow), but many, many bad "Dick Van Dyke" attempts.
At least Kevin Costner, in RH:PoT, didn't insult us by trying.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
And I thought James Earl Jones was a damn good Darth.

Then I learned David Prowse was Darth Vader, and I thought, whoaaa...Mr. Prowse does a damn fine James Earl Jones..
Well, if I remember correctly, David Prowse was Darth Vader, but James Earl Jones did his voice...(but maybe you alreday knew that...)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The worst British accent I've heard in years is in theaters right now - Don Cheadle in Ocean's 11.

If Soderbergh wanted a Cockney character, why didn't he hire a real one? There's plenty of them about.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
McGoohan is American??? I honestly had no idea until today. I just watched some PRISONER the other night. There was an episode that took place primarily in an Old West setting. McGoohan even mastered the "Brit playing an American accent"! I'm in awe of the man. What a total badass in that series!

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in agreement that Wood's accent probably comes from being in New Zealand for so long. I know my accent got fairly more Southern (or, at least, more "country") when I had small-town friends and roommates in college from other parts of Kentucky and Tennessee.

Some actors, like Mel Gibson, live in different places over the years and have shifting accents. Between his time in the U.S. & Australia over his childhood and early adulthood, Gibson has a sort of combination accent that has gotten more American since he started making primarily American films and made his home in Hollywood. Anna Paquin (New Zealand/U.S./Canada) also has a weird shifting accent that leans one way or the other depending on where she's been the most lately.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I actually thought of this also when i saw him on the new MTV movie show. I hate it when people fake accents in real life. Be who you are for cryin' out loud!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I believe it was a production choice to give the Hobbits british accents. You listen to Sean Astin as Sam and he seems to adopt one too, check his "back you devil!" line in the trailer. Add the fact Ian Holm is British, as are the two chaps who portray Merry and Pippin and you can sort of draw yourself away from the idea that Wood just simply picked it by accident.

Since LOTR has strong British roots (often said that the likes of Bag End drew much inspiration from Oxfordshire) the vast majority of the cast are either British, or adopt intentional accents (Liv Tyler & Viggo Mortensen are other notable examples)...

In real life Wood has always been very softly spoken. In the mass of TV stuff he did here over the weekend I didn't detect a great difference in his true voice, it's certainly very different to the one he carries in the film however.

Dan (UK)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Patrick McGoohan is indeed American, although his upbringing is a little more Link Removed than that.
Now that I think about it (and believe me, I try not to), there were scenes in RH:POT where Costner did affect some kind of accent. He sounded more like a good ole' boy living in NYC for a few years, though.
Speaking of Robin Hood, I always get 'Prince of Thieves' and 'Men in Tights' mixed up!!
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks