What's new

I confess...I'm sick of beer. I hate it. (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it either :confused:

In the same respect, I LOVE iced coffee. No matter how cold it is out, I'll order iced coffee, yet people feel the need to always say (in shock) "It's cold out and you're drinking ICED coffee???"

I never understood that. These are the same people who drink iced soda and iced water all day, yet have the nerve to be confused that I am drinking iced coffee????

Unfortunately, people assume that your coffee has to be hot (when it's cold out) and you MUST drink alcohol when alcohol is available.

It's odd.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I can agree with ya on this one Mark. I love Ice-Coffee and hot coffee. Heck, it can get up to 105+ at our office here and I'll be drinking a nice hot coffee.

Coffee, almost as good as beer.....almost.:)

Peace Out~:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Oh Man, do I llllovvvveee ice coffee.

Little Saigon, the land o' ice coffee. $1.00-$1.50 for Cafe Su Da. Love espresso too! Man how the hell did we get here? Now I'm all hungry, thirsty.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The thing that bugs me is, I know lots of people who drink hot coffee when it's hot out and no one ever asks why they are drinking hot coffee because it's hot out, yet I always get asked why I'm drinking iced coffee when it's cold out.

It just snowed like 6 inches this past week here in New England and I get the oddest looks when I order iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Sorry to get off topic, but we're kind of still in that same boat about how people have the nerve to give you funny looks when you don't do what they think you're supposed to be doing.

It's wierd how some people can't get it past their brains when someone does the opposite of what they think is supposed to be happening i.e. Iced Coffee in the winter, or going to a bar and not drinking, etc.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I don't know whether you are drinking the domestic piss water that is marketed as Guiness (Labatts brews it in Canada - yuck!), but the real stuff in the CO2 cans is godly. I have yet to find another stout which is as creamy or with a better head. Donations are welcome though... :D

However, there is no reason a person can't avoid alcohol in its entirety - it is not a prerequisite that someone has to drink. If that is your choice, power to you!

Hunter P

Screenwriter
May I suggest a "gateway" beer for you neophytes?

Hefeweizen

It's a German wheat beer that is available in almost every bar and restaurant. It's not bitter. In fact, it's a little sweet. This beer is very user friendly.:emoji_thumbsup:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Oh come on Robert, you didn't even try the Double Chocolate Stout. Luxurious, smooth malty goodness. No alcohol singe at all. Sensuous and sinful.

The Hefeweizen is a good suggestion, although there are some bad ones that could send you running.

This reminds me of that Bug/Daffy episode where they both are trying to tantilize ELmer with various bunny and duck recipes. "BBQ'ed duck-bill........drool.....drool"

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Ok ok, Zen, I confess my prejudices had the better of me. I was afraid it would just be the usual bitter taste with a chocolate layer in front. Also, the guys who tasted it didn't have a "wow, this is really good!" look on their faces :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Well, a good question. Last movie night I had a friend brought over some Rattle-Can C02 infested Guinness bottle, it was no better. All Guinness I've ever tasted has tasted like what I have described previously.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We only had one convert, and one who asked for his own can. Yeah, you're right not a very good percentage. It's not like that though, it's not a bitter mess masked with chocolate. Chocolate is the overtone of the malt. It's suprisingly balanced. Like other good beer, meant to be sipped nice and slow. Ron, would you agree, what's chug-a-lugging?

BTW: Clark's Liquor has Young's Luxurious Double Chocolate, placed right next to Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
...tastes like water. I am partial to strong brews.

HUGE Heineken fan here. I have tried lots of other brews, loved many, but Heineken is forever. I always come back to it, it's my no hassle, fall back brew. May be too popular for you connaisseurs, but what can I say.

And yes, Guinness tastes evil.

--
H

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Popularity never is a factor. It's the dead skunk that crawled in the bottle and died. The keg cans are a different story and quite good.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Heineken fuck that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Don't toast to my health, toast to my fuck!

Sorry couldn't resist.

And now it's dark

Hunter P

Screenwriter

To each his own. I was addressing a neophyte. Although why would you say you're partial to strong brews and then say Heineken rocks?;)

A couple of things about getting a Hefeweizen. No self respecting establishment serves a glass without a slice of lemon. Also, remember that this is a German type of beer so make sure to pronounce the "w" in Heineken as a "v" so that you look like you know what you're doing.:D

Lemons, limes, and salts all help to dissapate the bitterness of your beer. Which is why a Corona with salt and lime is so popular here in California (a.k.a. Mexico North.):emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I always order mine w/o lemon. Lemon ruins the taste of a good Hefe.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
To address the topic of this thread, a drunk college student is one of the constants of the universe. Might as well go to battle against death and taxes. You should only worry about the things you can control which is yourself. You made your choice and be damned what others think.

Drinking for most 21 year olds (or 18 and 19 in Canada) is a lot like driving is for most 16 year olds. When you're 16, driving is the shit. If your mom asks you to go to the grocery store to buy a loaf of bread you're dropping whatever your doing for the chance to drive. You might even swing by your friends house in the family station wagon to show how "cool" you are.

As you get older, driving is just another everyday task to get you from A to B. Most of your friends will out grow their binge drinking days and become more responsible about it.

I too am a social drinker that rarely gets drunk. My reasons are much of what has been previously said. Let me add another reason: I'm trying to count my calories and beer has empty calories. (Although my dad used to say it was a good source of vitamin P:D.) One beer has more calories than a soda and we all know how "evil" soda is. After more than one or two beers, you better start making plans to hit the stairmaster.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

You better tell that to all the pubs in Germany. :) Better yet, don't even mention lemon when in a German pub.

Good Hefe is yummy without.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks