What's new

I confess...I'm sick of beer. I hate it. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I quit drinking in my 20's because I thought the cost/benefit analysis favored not drinking. The thought of renting booze never sat well with me.

When I do drink, I do enjoy a super-cold Corona with a lime twist. I don't keep any booze in the house, so if I do drink, it's in a social setting.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
In some ways IMHO the "bitterness" of alcohol is an acquired taste, just like some can't stand the bitter taste of coffee.

And of course, there are varying degrees of bitterness. One reason I prefer ales now, rather than lagers.

If you want to "try" alcohol but without the bitterness, try alcopops -- I know, wussy etc -- or the wine coolers. They're quite light to the taste. Or liquers, though that's more "hard-core".

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I can relate to you in some ways being 22 in college. I've been to some parties and let me tell you Beer can really seem like it's messing people up. That is... until you join them. :)

I remember one weekend a while ago when I was just hanging out with friends and we each had something like 4-6 beers. We just talked about nonsense and laughed at anything from the effects. We even had interesting conversations about eachother's sisters and I remember us "toasting" to different body parts.

Then I had the worse headache to follow that, and felt almost numb. I remember some really cute blonde girl telling me that I was messed up before I fell asleep. I hope she didn't take advantage of me. JK

The only other time I drank a lot was when I drank a 1/3 glass of Rum with coke and watched Daredevil. I remember enjoying that movie so much, but feeling like I had to hurl at the end because of the liquor. Then I watched the movie sober and almost hurled period. hehe

Oh, and then there was the time I had 3+ beers and played pool in which it made billiards increase in fun by a factor of 10. I didn't run any tables that night but I remember laughing as I made incredibly hard shots one handed while at the same time missing easy shots and still laughing.

Oh, beer...

For those that think it tastes bad, I want you to try something.. Next time you are super thirsty on a hot day, pour yourself a glass of ice cold Coors light or Corona Extra in a frosty mug (add a squeeze of a lime wedge to the corona) and then take a sip. It hits your lips and it's like loves first kiss...

The bitterness will not be there and you'll soon be thinking soda pops are just sugar water and crave the taste for a fine cold Ale instead.

DISCLAIMER: Of course I only drink maybe once or twice a week and I only get legally drunk a few times a year. It also makes a good excuse to ask a cute non-alcoholic girl to be a designated driver.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I am always amazed how some people get so pissed off when you keep saying no... It's kind of funny that they are so desperate to get you to do it... It's really kind of sad... The more times I would say no, the more furious they would become...

I have never been the type to do anything because of peer nonsense... The more someone tries to get me to do something, the more I wont...

I am very stubborn when I want to be... How they flutter their arms when you keep saying no has always been a favorite of mine... It's so sick...

Some people just dont give up... They cant get over the fact that you keep saying no... It's almost like they truly cant understand it...

I still did what I wanted... I still went out, still went on vacations, still bought things... It didnt really effect my life at all to be honest...

Besides, I like having a very good body and dont plan on losing it anytime soon... That is worth more than any drink or donut can provide... And sex with good bodies is so much better and appealing than sex without good bodies... At least the lights can stay on and no one has to be frightened...

Basically, if you dont want to do it, dont... No one is holding a gun to your head... If they are, they are probably people that arent the best for you to be around anyways...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Heh. Reminds me of my 22nd birthday, which is the one and only time I drank enough booze to literally see double (it was hard liquour, vodka and the like, no beer). It was quite bizarre, really, we were hanging around outside my room in the hostel, and I'd drunk so much I was slumped in the sofa that was outside my room. As I looked across the quadrangle at the doors opposite, I could literally see them do that cartoony split into two thing and weave and merge :D

I am also told that I started getting somewhat foul-mouthed, yet with each cuss I'd apologise to the ladies present. Next thing I knew, though, I was being carried into my room by a friend, and when placed on my bed I rolled back over the side of the bed to hurl. He was fast enough to grab a pail for me to puke into, and I am told that I puked on his hand.

Good friend, yes?

Anyway, the next day, although it was Saturday, we had a lecture, which I miraculously attended. Of course, I had the mother of all hangovers, mid-way through the lecture I had to go out and puke again, and by now the stomach was empty. Drinking some water would just mean that I'd puke up that water a few minutes later. Later, when it had settled enough, I returned to the lecture theatre, and as my friend (who was also at said drink-up and also feeling woozy) puts it, I grinned at him, and promptly lay down on the seats and went to sleep. :D

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I just don't get what's so special about alcohol to make people feel they have to pressure you to drink it?

I mean, if someone offers you a glass of orange juice and you decline because it gives you heartburn, there's no badgering. No one thinks you're crazy when you say you don't like Diet Coke because of the taste.

So what is it about alcohol? I can't stand the taste, it burns my throat (yes, even beer) and I can't handle more than 2 without puking. But these seem to only be valid reasons for avoidance for foodstuffs not containing alochol.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

I've tried ice cold beer on a hot day and the bitterness is still there.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to bitterness than others.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I drink all the time. I also have a wonderful family, new baby, my own business, lots of great friends and hobbies. In short, a lot to celebrate. Make whatever choice you want about drinking, but it sounds like some folks here do indeed reject the lifestyle based on the way a few drunken fools have acted around them. And thats a shame. Its so good for your body and soul. ;)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Mark

Although I'm not a non-drinker I respect your decision. Anyone who doesn’t probably is not worth hanging around with. I felt the same thing among certain groups of people (of whom I no longer really associate with) but the subject was not drinking it was sex. Guys would brag about how many girls they "nailed" (there term, not mine). I would get asked why I never talk about it and my answer was that I never did and didn't plan to until I met my future wife.

You are probably right. I can’t stand the taste of seafood. But there are a significant percentage of people who love it. YMMV

I drank a bit more in college. But it was not often and a max of maybe 6 beers. A few notable exceptions: The first time I drank and didn’t know my limits. When I was out with a friend at a "gentlemen’s club" after a bad breakup. Two new years eve's ago, I have no excuse this time I just got carried away. That was a major epiphany for me because I was way drunk and had the mother of all hangovers. I have not come anywhere close to drinking that much since.

Tomorrow is poker night and I fully plan on having a few there with my friends.

“Moderation is the key to happiness.”

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The last time I got drunk was at 11:00AM in Ocean City, MD. at a bar called "Seacrets" about 9 years ago.

I barfed in the little artificial river / stream they had running between the restaurant and the bar. I remember being shoved out the door into the pouring rain where my other two drunk as me buddies proceeded to DRIVE US BACK TO THE CONDO. We made it back ok, but I woke up at around 6:00PM with a hangover. What a shitty feeling it is to wake up sleeping on the stairs with your head on the landing.

I really haven't had anything to drink since, and that was only the 3rd time I had ever been drunk.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

This is terrible advice :) You would be better off taking a piss in frosty mug and drinking it. Try a real beer not this rice made crap. I am partial to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale myself.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Agghhh! What's a beer neophyte to do when confronted with conflicting advice on a good beer? :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that, what with it still smelling and tasting like beer. Give me a Fresh Samantha lemonade in that situation any day.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Ron could we help this bloke? Out of all the luxurious stouts available, you're going to settle for a Guinness?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Most certainly Zen. Guiness, the Budweiser of stouts.

Steelhead Extra Stout and Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout are two very good stouts that come to mind right now. Zen, man, I'm drawing a blank here, help me out....

Peace Out~:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout

Young's Double Chocolate mmmmmmmm yum yum

but they can always visit the link in my signature, or go to Dome's HT Beer Recommendations For Newbies thread.

I know man, we feel for you.

In Guinness' defense, I have had a few recently on tap and it still holds its' own in the draft department, and good with a 1:00 A.M breakfast. The bottled version, a bit thin, but does have a charming dry finish and better than a flippin' Bud in a pinch.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero

Dome, you have a Liquor Barn (Ultimate Party Source) in Lexington that ROCKS! Lots of great beers over there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Mark,

It sounds like you are dealing with others' maturity more than their alcohol consumption. You'll probably find that when you leave college your social circle will change and you'll be around more people who are not so narrow minded about what constitutes "fun."

I myself have never liked beer and am a sometimes social drinker. I do have certain alcoholic beverages I like, some which I'm sure would elicit criticism for being "foofy" but then I don't spend time with people who have nothing better to do than judge what a person chooses to eat or drink.

If I go to a party where there's beer, I usually pick up a case of Wyder's pear cider for myself and anyone else who is beer-challenged. Great stuff that cider. As far as mixed drinks, I like vodka tonics and kamikazes.

I can understand feeling like an outcast for your preferences, but I think as you move into the "real world" you'll find people with similar tastes or at least an ability to accept others differences.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Young's, yes. Forgot about that one. Roasty malts and chocolate abound. Damn, your making me hungry for a good stout lunch. The Compass Creek brewery next to our office closed it's doors recently. Had a moment of silence when I found out. A true loss of some great beers.

I cannot agree with you on the Guinness Zen, imo, a poor excuse for a stout. It tastes very plain with the consistancy of water. A true stout for the non-stout drinker.

I've not noticed that before, the beer thread link in your sig, classic!

I am glad to see this thread slowly heading in the right direction. :)

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread