What's new

I Confess.......(I have not seen these films): (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Going down "AFI's top 100 US Films" - thus ignoring the world cinema in general! - I have not seen:
Nice idea. From the AFI List of 100 Movies, I have not seen:

Gone With The Wind (1939)
On The Waterfront (1954)
Singin' In The Rain (1952)
All About Eve (1950)
The African Queen (1951)
Chinatown (1974)
The Grapes Of Wrath (1940)
Raging Bull (1980)
Bonnie And Clyde (1967)
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939)
The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948)
High Noon (1952)
To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Doctor Zhivago (1965)
West Side Story (1961)
The Birth Of A Nation (1915)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969)
From Here To Eternity (1953)
All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
Rebel Without A Cause (1955)
Tootsie (1982)
Stagecoach (1939)
Network (1976)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
An American In Paris (1951)
Shane (1953)
The French Connection (1971)
Wuthering Heights (1939)
The Gold Rush (1925)
City Lights (1931)
Rocky (1976)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Modern Times (1936)
Giant (1956)
Platoon (1986)
Mutiny On The Bounty (1935)
Easy Rider (1969)
Patton (1970)
The Jazz Singer (1927)
My Fair Lady (1964)
A Place In The Sun (1951)
The Apartment (1960)
Goodfellas (1990)
The Searchers (1956)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Unforgiven (1992)
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1967)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

Arman

Screenwriter
Jon,

I'm sorry for misinterpreting/misunderstanding original your post :) (and I offer no apologies for making John laughed unintentionaly & unnecessarily again because for some reasons I felt the same way in some of his posts).

It sounds like you had seen more films than I do. :)

James E

Stunt Coordinator
"never seen a Shirley Temple film":eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:eek::b

james

P.S.

animal crackers in my....:b

BarryS

Second Unit
I've never seen a Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton film. Or a Shirley Temple film for that matter.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[Smug git mode enabled] Gaaah you all must still be in your teens! How can you not have seen all those great great films, too busy? No tv? No cinema within a hundred miles? Playstation addictee? (just invented a new word - addictee! woohoo!):)

I'm kidding ofcourse, probably, and besides there are a shitload of popular films from the last few years that I still have not seen and mostly not planning to see... ever, wahay! Most of them comedies, some of them dreary dramas and also quite a few teeny horror flicks which I've successfully managed to avoid.

Of famous classic films well I've seen them all (you liar!) alright I still haven't seen 'Birth of a Nation', 'How Green was my Valley', 'Kings Row' and a few others I won't mention for fear of being ridiculed. [smug git mode disabled] ;)

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen, and have no desire to see,

Casablanca
Citizen kane
King Kong
Any kubrick film
and basically any film made prior to 1960

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wow! I guess its not fair to rip on anyone in this thread for being honest enough to post their thoughts, and I suppose it is good to know what your likes and dislikes are, but after reading Scott's post...

I will gently suggest that this approach to films is incredibly self-limiting. Obviously it is personal preference, but to deliberately ignore countless older classics is an exercise in self-deprivation. Many of these films may seem dated, due to either differences in social mores, film making technique, etc., or due to the fact that you've seen derivative modern versions - but many of the older classics still resonate due to their universal themes.

Speaking personally, I turned to older films when I had tired of watching more contemporary fare - particularly after viewing most of the high profile quality films of the last 20 to 30 years.

I'm still a relative neophyte when it comes to foreign films and from that perspective I can identify with those of you who haven't viewed many of the older classics. I view the occassional foreign film, and have made more of an effort to block them in to my schedule, but they aren't always my first choice. DVD has helped quite a bit in this regard as the sole venue for a number of films that I have wanted to view. ( I won't bother with an embarassing list of foreign classics that I still haven't gotten around to viewing. :b )

To each their own as always, of course.

- Walter.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Arman & John - I honestly don't understand your exchanges here (I lost track of who's laughing at who). Rather than re-read and try to sort it out, I'm just going to let it go.

Here's another that comes to mind that fits in with my original intent: I have seen none of the Scream movies.

Steve - I just saw How Green Was My Valley for the first time the other day. My expectations were modest, and I was totally blown away by it. Put it near the top of your list! What steered me toward this film was an episode of Frasier...anyone see this?

With regard to the AFI top 100, as it turns out, there are just 30 that I've not seen:

My Fair Lady
A Place in the Sun
The Searchers
Bringing Up Baby
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Best Years of Our Lives
Doctor Zhivago
King Kong
The Birth of a Nation
A Clockwork Orange
The Philadelphia Story
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Third Man
Rebel Without a Cause
Stagecoach
The Manchurian Candidate
An American in Paris
Shane
Wuthering Heights
The Gold Rush
City Lights
The Wild Bunch
Modern Times
Giant
Duck Soup
Mutiny on the Bounty
Frankenstein
Easy Rider
The Jazz Singer

Jon

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I still haven't seen:
Citizen Kane
Lawrence of Arabia (even though I own both of these)
any Hitchcock movie other than Psycho
any Kurosawa other than Seven Samurai
I've only seen 2 or 3 pre-Brosnan Bonds
either of the Harry Potters (and don't really plan on it)
It's pretty safe to say that if the movie was made pre-80's, then I haven't seen it.
And yes, I am 25.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess the main difference between what Scott said and my case (not having seen 15 of AFI's top 30) is that I actually do have a desire to see classic movies. Being 29 I clearly was not around when a lot of these films were in the theater. I can understand if someone doesn't want to watch older films, but I agree with Walter that it is a bit self limiting.

Watching classic movies is enlightening because you see where it all came from. I can't imagine the reaction someone who enjoyed "What Lies Beneath" would have when they watched classic Hitchcock films and see all the thematic elements that were flat-out lifted by Zemeckis (to his own admission). Of course I am also of the philosophy that in order to understand the present, you must know and learn from the past. And in film, knowing the past gives you a greater appreciation of the present, as you can see the foundations modern filmmakers are building on, and see what they add.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I havent seen the majority of AFI's top 100, along with a whole host of other older films. Part of it is that I'm only 23, so DVD is really the first opportunity that I have had to see these classics. I don't have the disposable income to buy a huge number of DVDs, so I usually end up not purchasing the older films.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Jeff, how about under 30? At least for a few more months...
I only listed the two off the top of my head. Going down "AFI's top 100 US Films" - thus ignoring the world cinema in general! - I have not seen:

2. Casablance
4. GWTW
8. On the Waterfront
12. Sunset Blvd
13. Bridge on the River Kwai
14. Some Like it Hot
16. All About Eve
17. the African Queen
19. Chinatown
21. The Grapes of Wrath
23. the Maltese Falcon
26. Dr. Strangelove
27. Bonnie & Clyde
29. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
30. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Yikes! Every one of these is worth seeing, and most are *must sees*, as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder how much the change in TV broadcasting has affected what people have seen and love. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, when 'classic' movies were often shown (usually late or on weekends, but also in prime time) on network TV. I'm sure I saw Casablanca, Mr. Smith, Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront, Strangelove, Grapes of Wrath, and Sierra Madre first that way. Nowadays with so many cable channels, that option is diluted, and you *never* see classics on network TV except for a few around the holidays. Most of the 20/30 somethings I talk to don't seem to have a film knowledge that goes back much further than the first 'Star Wars' movie, nor are they interested in much beyond post-1970 sci-fi/action genres or hipster classics like Tarantino's stuff.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

I thought the purpose of this thread was just to list famous films those posting have not seen, not to make value judgments. See, one could turn on the above statement by pointing out how "disturbing" it is that its author hasn't seen the films he has listed.

Some of the other posts contain disturbing comments too. I always thought that one would prefer to show off his or her knowledge, instead of making near-celebratory statements about having no desire to see any films made before 1960. As Walter points out, you're only telling the world how self-limiting your preferences are.

But that's your choice. Just remember that in order to understand how film came to be as it is today, it sure helps to know what has come before. (I hear a lot of "youth" in this thread.)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I am extremely ashamed that I have not seen Psycho, despite being a Hitchcock fan (I have Vertigo, Rear Window, Rebecca, and Notorious on DVD). To make matters worse, I have seen the remake.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Marc, the solution to your situation is only about $21.95 at most online DVD retailers! Order in time for this weekend. :)

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how much the change in TV broadcasting has affected what people have seen and love. I grew up in the 60's and 70's, when 'classic' movies were often shown (usually late or on weekends, but also in prime time) on network TV. I'm sure I saw Casablanca, Mr. Smith, Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront, Strangelove, Grapes of Wrath, and Sierra Madre first that way. Nowadays with so many cable channels, that option is diluted, and you *never* see classics on network TV except for a few around the holidays.
This is very true and I find it very sad since dvd is my biggest option to discover classic movies, tv stations don't broadcast movies older then 20 years, the BBC is an exception. Luckily our cable distributor has added TCM recently so there is hope !

My list of the AFI top 100, still need to see:

THE GRADUATE
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
SOME LIKE IT HOT
ALL ABOUT EVE
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
THE GRAPES OF WRATH
RAGING BULL
BONNIE AND CLYDE
THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
ANNIE HALL
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
DOUBLE INDEMNITY
THE BIRTH OF A NATION
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
TAXI DRIVER
THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (read the book though)
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
M*A*S*H
TOOTSIE
STAGECOACH
NETWORK
WUTHERING HEIGHTS
THE GOLD RUSH
CITY LIGHTS
AMERICAN GRAFFITI
THE WILD BUNCH
MODERN TIMES
DUCK SOUP
MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY
THE JAZZ SINGER
A PLACE IN THE SUN
THE APARTMENT
GOODFELLAS
BRINGING UP BABY
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

Still have a lot of catching up to do but I'm still only 27 so I have time :D
Also I haven't seen any Kurosawa, Truffaut, Fellini, Bergman, Chaplin or silent movie. :b

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still have not seen A Christmas Story, despite all the quoting that goes on at my office about Red Rider bb guns and "shooting someone's eye out".

There are probably at least several well-known films that almost everyone here has never seen, but I cannot understand someone who loves movies flat-out refusing to watch any older films. Probably the most enriching thing I've done due to this forum is complete the AFI 100 Challenge, which exposed me to over 40 great films that I had not yet seen. I probably also never would have discovered such wonderful foreign films as Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy or numerous Kurosawa films without HTF.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I can at least say I have seen a good portion of them and liked most.
A few words on some that aren't nornally seen
Birth of a nation - An incredible blockbuster that turns into a commerical for the KKK. Hard to watch the 2nd half
The General - The only silient film thatis so good that I forget it's silient while watching it.
All quiet on the western front- it's an incredible anti war statement without be preachy
Battleship Potemkin - Interesting but I think I passed out for most of it. At least I saw the 'infamous step scene'

One thing great about netflixs, they have all the 100 that have been released on DVD and it's a cheap way to find out if they are your cup of tea before buying

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks