What's new

UHD I compiled a simple list separating 2K uhd blurays and actual 4K blurays (1 Viewer)

Do you find this list useful?

• Total voters

Manny88

Auditioning
Real Name
Mihael
Hey! I compiled this list: http://4kblurays.com/
I'll keep it updated.
Though it doesn't cover every nuance of each release, hopefully it serves as a useful guideline in your decision-making and managing future release expectations.
I think we can agree no one wants to waste money for something that is barely an upgrade.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well I have compiled the same list... However, your "Fake 4K" list are still better then the bluray equivalent per most reviews and my personal experience. So what are you trying to say with your list? If you are going to back it up with reviews on a calibrated system then fine.

Manny88

Auditioning
Real Name
Mihael
It's meant to objectively separate the actual 4K work from upscaled 2K stuff - based on multiple sources, simple resolution binary answer. Not based on any personal experience or feelings about how it looks, that's for reviewers to decide. I agree they still look better, but not 4 times better, as they technically should, resolution-wise. And that's 30 $ per movie difference for people who will be choosing between upgrading pieces of their collection or not.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Many of the effects shots of the "real" 4K films are also upscaled from 2K.

Exactly that is why it is kinda funny. Mad Max for example I read used 6 different kinds of cameras for their filming. Just because the DI is 4K doesn't mean the Raw wasn't 3.6K or less... This is why I have a hard time supporting it as "Fake 4K" when in reality just call it 2K DI / 4K DI which is all you can really say.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's meant to objectively separate the actual 4K work from upscaled 2K stuff - based on multiple sources, simple resolution binary answer. Not based on any personal experience or feelings about how it looks, that's for reviewers to decide. I agree they still look better, but not 4 times better, as they technically should, resolution-wise. And that's 30 $ per movie difference for people who will be choosing between upgrading pieces of their collection or not.

As we move forward, many UHD releases will not be upgrades, simply new releases, offering both BD and UHD.

Also, for those with 4k abilities, the difference between upscaling BD to 4k, will be minimal except upon close examination. The only real perk will be HDR, which isn't yet ready for prime time in home theater situations.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Exactly that is why it is kinda funny. Mad Max for example I read used 6 different kinds of cameras for their filming. Just because the DI is 4K doesn't mean the Raw wasn't 3.6K or less... This is why I have a hard time supporting it as "Fake 4K" when in reality just call it 2K DI / 4K DI which is all you can really say.

Careful. This is a great way to confuse issues.

Mad Max is a 2k DI.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I still fail to see how UHD will be some major improvement on Blu-ray unless you're sitting 2 inches away from your HDTV screen.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
At least it's information, which we'll each have to process/interpret as best we can with more-informed help.

It's better than what we get by somebody just slapping a 4K/UHD label on something.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
As we move forward, many UHD releases will not be upgrades, simply new releases, offering both BD and UHD.

Also, for those with 4k abilities, the difference between upscaling BD to 4k, will be minimal except upon close examination. The only real perk will be HDR, which isn't yet ready for prime time in home theater situations.

Well I have 4K/10 Bit Color/HDR10 and I hope the people doing the reviews do as well. All UHDs are being released as HDR10 right now so it is about as ready as we can get now. They are upgrades because you can't get HDR or 10bit color in 1080p\bluray which are major improvements. People don't want it to be better so they don't have to upgrade.

Again my problem is calling it Fake 4K... It is 4K and has 10bit color and HDR so it is real 4K just upscaled from a 2K DI maybe. Since I haven't seen any studio come out and say that they did or did not use the current DI it is hard to say what the studio has done. Since most people including me are using IMDB for this info it is really sketchy. If you are reaching out to the studios and getting the info from them then cool. Again my issue is calling it "Fake 4K" instead of 2K DI.

Many of the 4K DI are still coming from less then 4K Raw footage so all those are "Fake 4K" in your definition too.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I see this is getting tricky. I would call a DVD upscaled to 1080p and put on a BD "fake HD". Is it real HD by your definition, because it's provided in HD? If I take a CD-standard audio track and uprez it to 24/192, it seems you would call it hi-rez audio, because it is provided in a hi-rez format. I (and just about everybody else in audio) would call it "fake hi-rez" (a very common circumstance BTW).

I don't actually think you'd do any of those things, but it seems you are giving 4K a bit of a "pass" there, in comparison.

What ever happened to 12-bit color anyway? Lots of displays will do it, if you provide the data. Maybe not via BD though.

FatherMurphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Wes Candela
I'm sorry
Fascinating
And HDR + 10 bit color turns me on
But

China is already working on 8K.

I don't know about all you folks
But I went from:
VHS
S-VHS
LaserDisc
DVD
HD-DVD (for 30 days)
Blu-Ray

And now again us cinephiles & consumers are supposed to buy into the new UHD (2K-4K) format while the next format, the one to seriously look forward to is a decade out maybe.

I'm waiting.
I'm just gonna wait.

I can't afford this.

It's worth the wait people. I would put money on that.

We should t but into this
We should all hold out for true 8K versions.

That's considering that the films are shot that way, but a restoration of "Lawrence ..."
Taken from the 65-70mm negative
Offered to us in 8K

As someone familiar with digital photography, 8K is as close to photography as we can get at home

That's when we should ALL take the plunge.

FatherMurphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Wes Candela
I'll keep it updated.
Though it doesn't cover every nuance of each release, hopefully it serves as a useful guideline in your decision-making and managing future release expectations.
I think we can agree no one wants to waste money for something that is barely an upgrade.
Love the "REAL 4K" "FAKE 4K" terms.

Calling it like it is man.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I'll keep it updated.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 has been finished in 4K. I have as well on Sony's 4k download site and in many scenes the difference in detail between the BD and download is significant (for example the graduation scene). Besides Sony doesn't have any movies in their 4K store that is not actual 4K.

The other point is that some of the biggest visual upgrades are from the 2k movies. For example if you compare The Peanuts Movie UHD HDR vs. the BD the difference is night and day. Hardly a waste of money. Some people need to get over this hangup on resolution as it's not the end all be all and actually is the least important UHD BD upgrade component, especially for new releases.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well I have 4K/10 Bit Color/HDR10 and I hope the people doing the reviews do as well. All UHDs are being released as HDR10 right now so it is about as ready as we can get now. They are upgrades because you can't get HDR or 10bit color in 1080p\bluray which are major improvements. People don't want it to be better so they don't have to upgrade.

Again my problem is calling it Fake 4K... It is 4K and has 10bit color and HDR so it is real 4K just upscaled from a 2K DI maybe. Since I haven't seen any studio come out and say that they did or did not use the current DI it is hard to say what the studio has done. Since most people including me are using IMDB for this info it is really sketchy. If you are reaching out to the studios and getting the info from them then cool. Again my issue is calling it "Fake 4K" instead of 2K DI.

Many of the 4K DI are still coming from less then 4K Raw footage so all those are "Fake 4K" in your definition too.

I didn't coin the term "fake 4k."

As far as HDR, is the image you're seeing, precisely what was meant to be seen without calibration?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm sorry
Fascinating
And HDR + 10 bit color turns me on
But

China is already working on 8K.

I don't know about all you folks
But I went from:
VHS
S-VHS
LaserDisc
DVD
HD-DVD (for 30 days)
Blu-Ray

And now again us cinephiles & consumers are supposed to buy into the new UHD (2K-4K) format while the next format, the one to seriously look forward to is a decade out maybe.

I'm waiting.
I'm just gonna wait.

I can't afford this.

It's worth the wait people. I would put money on that.

We should t but into this
We should all hold out for true 8K versions.

That's considering that the films are shot that way, but a restoration of "Lawrence ..."
Taken from the 65-70mm negative
Offered to us in 8K

As someone familiar with digital photography, 8K is as close to photography as we can get at home

That's when we should ALL take the plunge.

Zero reason for El Aurens in 8k.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I didn't coin the term "fake 4k."

As far as HDR, is the image you're seeing, precisely what was meant to be seen without calibration?

I'm a tad confused why do you think my TV is uncalibrated? I have had it professionally calibrated. Thanks.

All I'm saying is several of the 4K DI are still derived from non-4K raw footage. Period. So there is scaling done on most of the digital film sources. Which is why I have issues with this whole world is falling because my 4K disk is made from a 2K DI.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm a tad confused why do you think my TV is uncalibrated? I have had it professionally calibrated. Thanks.

All I'm saying is several of the 4K DI are still derived from non-4K raw footage. Period. So there is scaling done on most of the digital film sources. Which is why I have issues with this whole world is falling because my 4K disk is made from a 2K DI.

I believe what he is saying based on his comments in one of his other threads, is that there is currently no way to calibrate for HDR.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I don't follow the calibration forums every day, but there is huge disagreement on how to even calibrate 4K panels, I mean *how*, not only "what to" exactly. These would be the people you'd pay to do it. (I only do plasmas, so have no opinion.)

Even more disagreement if you throw the OLED factor into the mix. Some go so far as to say they're "uncalibratable". You can set them up just fine, like you can with the 4K LED panels, but that's not calibration per se, calibration means setting to a standard. And repeatably getting the display device to respond in the same way, it's not like you want to re-cal every time you watch a new program. What some are doing, in the end, is no more calibration than using a test disc and adjusting by eye is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks