i come here again asking what driver

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JoeGibs, Oct 20, 2005.

1. JoeGibs

JoeGibs Stunt Coordinator

I came here about a year ago seeking to find a killer home theater sub that no one in the car audio world uses (well, almost no one). I came away with the answer of the titanic, so i went with it. I bought two of them, put them in the back of my jeep and gave them power. it was a hell of a setup, thats for damn sure. now the only thing is i've spoken too much about them on the car audio forums and they're becoming the new bandwagon subwoofer. I completely hate myself for even mentioning them on a a forum, because now everyone wants them. I LOVE running equipment that people have never even heard of, and probably wont figure out where/how to get it. Home theater equipment is the perfect answer to all of this.

I need something that has similar output capabilities as the 15" titanic. For in car, i prefer sealed to vented enclosures. Low FS is a MUST, i'm a low bass whore [​IMG] Power requirements are not an issue, more the better.

I had two 15 titanics at once, with a lower power amp on my front stage. then i sold my sub/amp setup, and built a home audio setup. I replaced my lower powered amp for my front stage with a much more powerful amplifier, and attempted to run a single 10" titanic, and my front stage completely killed the bass, i couldnt hear anything coming from the sub over my front speakers. That should give you an idea of what kind of output i need to be able to have things sound normal. a 15" titanic with about 800-1000 watts rms would be good, but i need to get something different, something people havent heard of. this time i'll keep my mouth shut.

any suggestions are welcome. budget is 200 bucks for the driver, i dont need or want the enclosure with it.

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmmmmm

I had good luck with these in subs during extreme high power live gigs......

Eminence Omega Pro 15 , they are very efficient and handle lots of juice to boot.

3. JoeGibs

looks like a nice driver, but fs is 38, and i want similar to the titanic, around 20 hz.

4. John S

John S Producer

Well I would suggest a Titanic, but can't for reasons stated. [​IMG]

The interesting thing about the driver I suggested, even though it is not +/- 3db down low. The thing is so efficient, it actually provides more output per input watt down low than many other drivers. Specs don't always tell the entire story.

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

6. JoeGibs

hmmmm, i like the look of those. how big of an airspace would i be looking at if i ran a pair of them without passive radiators?

i'm assuming its a single voice coil, and most car audio amplifiers arent optimal for 8 ohm use, so i think it'd be better to use two and wire them down to 4 ohms.

7. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Ask Danny (owner of GR Research) on his forum on audiocircle.com. He's a good guy and should answer any of your questions about the driver (there are already a few threads on it there, so you might want to check those first).

8. JoeGibs

i've been looking into the gr research subs, looking good so far. any other suggestions? gotta have more than one thing to look into

9. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Eclipse has some pretty incredible subs. Many are (were) made by TC Sounds. Most are low FS as well. Unfortunately, most have heard of them, although many have not actually heard them. Incredible drivers if you can get past the fact that many have heard of them. They can be found inexpensively on many of the online auction sites. Look at the 9000 series or the 8800 series.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

You might take a look at (if you have not already), the "newest" Dayton Referance Series ultra low distortion subwoofers at PE.

No 15 yet but two different 12's.

[​IMG]

Part numbers are
    295-464 is RSS 12"
    295-466 is RSS-HO 12"

11. JoeGibs

thanks for the ideas, eclipse is one of the better known brands in car audio, and the new dayton subwoofer has already been talked about quite a bit on the car audio forums [​IMG]

12. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

Geoff, is it guarenteed that the 15 inch models will be coming? And I'm going to recommend the NHT 1259. Go to madisound and search for NHT. You'll get the results and go to the 12 inch drivers. I know someone that put them in their car and said that it performed incredibly well. It's slightly out of bidget($150) but one should be enough bass unless you own a limo.

13. JoeGibs

looks like a nice driver keith, but i cant possibly see a single 12 with less than half the power the 15" titanic wants being anywhere near the same output. the 16hz fs is very tempting though, too bad they're not cheap enough that i could afford two

to give you home theater guys an idea of how loud my front stage in my jeep is, go to http://photobucket.com/albums/b192/joegibs/ and use gibs as the password, thats my little home theater setup. the front stage in my jeep is louder than the towers.

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Have no idea if PE will intro a 15" unit in the RSS line.
    Ask me, it's a no brainer that they should build/sell a RSS-15 Home Theater driver at the least.

You'ed think they would, but PE could be waiting on tooling and or (don't want to hurt/take away sales) of their other popular 15" drivers..

You'ed have to talk to Darren or maybe one of the other guys at PE to find out if they even have a plan for a 15..

New I should have left the no 15 (YET) out in that post. [​IMG]

===========

The good ole NHT-1259, "good driver & still is", but over priced and out classed IMO now a days at or very near it's price point.

BUT:
    One must give the NHT-1259 it's do, it was one of the first DIY longer throw drivers to become available to the public that made for a real DIY subwoofer. In it's day it was a top notch contender and still to this day is no slouch. There were not 12-14-16mm + oneway throw low Fs drivers available all over back then!
    The Shiva MK was born from this drivers rep to compete as best as I can remmember. The driver is still used by many in different type projects or Madi would not still handle it.

==========

You might check around for a pair of older, but new SAE-1204's.
    Edit-1:
    http://stryke.com/pics/SAE1204-side.jpg

Kyle www.Acoustic-Visions.com had some, but their no longer up on site. Steve at www.Apexjr.com had some also. Not sure if there are any left, but you could check with them both and they might have one laying around or could direct you to someone with a few.

Trying to stay with-in $200.00 +/- and get a not well known, if at all known in the car audio world, but good performing driver/s is going to be tuff.

Might be some DLP-12's around somewhere also. Work well sealed also.

==========

Check the different forums FS areas for SVS upgraders selling their 12"-Original & 12"-ISD-V1 and V2 drivers. It happenes now and then but not nearly as often as a year or so ago.

You certainly won't find (SVS-woofs) in to many rides & yes they can be used sealed also.

==========

HSU also is now selling a new High Output High SQ 12"-raw driver, know nothing about it spec wise tho, nor it's costs.
    Hum, interesting after a quick look.

Edit-2:
    http://www.hsustore.com/asw1203.html

Dont let the steel basket turn you off, steel baskets have come aways in the past few years. Black out the D-cap and you got a no name driver showing...

==========

The GR SW-12A is a nice woof and it's VC limits excursion to 16-mm linear oneway. Has alot more suspension available, aprox 21-22mm oneway. All who have used this sub/driver seem very impressed. To this point I have not had one of the GR-12's so can't comment personaly any further on the Driver.
    But it looks nice, the price is right & Danny is not known design/build junk.!

At some point I'll be building 2 of the GR-Sub/PR kits for a guy, certainly will have a better idea then about my impressions of the sub kit. I might grab just (a driver) for myself at that time also to play with.
    It's all subjective (my to be impressions of the kits sound) aside from GP-measuring outside...

Cheers & good luck
    Geoff ¥
    Edit-# bazillion:
    Seems I'd get it all out the first time.:embarrased:

15. JoeGibs

this is why i love coming here for ideas, there's just a TON of drivers that i've never heard a word about.

i've bought from kyle at acoustic-visions.com before, thats where i picked up my two titanics in the previous install.

stryke subwoofers were floating around on car audio forums quite a bit a couple years ago, came close to getting one way back when.

The HSU looks nice, but the only thing holding it back is the 25hz FS [​IMG]

i'm not in any big hurry to buy anything and start the design on the enclosure, so i have plenty of time to take all the suggestions everyone has.

someone's gotta know about some miricle driver that meets all my obsessive requirements

16. JoeGibs

anything else i should look at?

i'm leaning towards the gr research subs right now, i just realized i have an amplifier that would work perfectly with them