What's new

I Cast A Fantasy Remake Of Star Trek: TOS. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
*Mods* Kindly feel free to move this to either of the Movies, or the TV boards, as you see fit.*

Hey gang,

Here are my casting choices for a remake of the original series of Star Trek, as either a movie or a new series:

As Spock, there can really be only one choice, can't there? My pick is Hugo Weaving. Duhh!! We already know that he looks great in pointed ears, right? And thanks to the implosion of the Matrix franchise, I can't say that he's already typecast. Athough its a mighty tall order, I believe firmly that he's got the skill as an actor to make us forget Nimoy. And he's the right age for the part.
As McCoy, I admit I'm partially basing this choice on physical similarity, 'tho he's surely no slouch in the acting department. He's Gary Sinise. 'nuff said.
My casting of Kirk poses the greatest difficulty. The problem in casting the three parts, to my mind, is that there must be a semblance of 'balance' to it. That is to say, it cannot star BRUCE WILLIS AS KIRK, above the title, and two dudes in the other parts. While the role of Kirk is likely the showiest, playing Spock is probably a far greater challenge for an actor (playing with no emotion is like playing a part beneath a mask. Ask John Belushi or Micheal Keaton). Therefore, the role of Kirk requires an actor of mid-level stature (could come from TV or movies, but the name must not be big enough to upset the Weaving/Sinise apple-cart), in possession of serious chops, and the actor must be a few years, but not too many, younger than either of the other fellows. My pick for the role of Kirk is...Thomas Jane.
I'm surely not the only one to have ever considered this, and as such, opinions are heartily welcome. Cheers!

DS.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Interesting choices Dave. The original actors are stamped too strongly in my mind to be played by someone else. I'd rather wait until CGI gets to a photorealistic point and make new episodes or movies that way.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This is an idea I kick around every so often, just because I like seeing what different actors do with the same role. I think it would be a neat stunt for Paramount to do for the 40th anniversery in a couple years.

Kirk: Keifer Sutherland. Same youthful look, same type of voice, might make for a more intense version of the character.

Spock: Johnny Depp. I have a tough time thinking of people who can embody Spock's otherworldliness; certainly few of the actors who have played aliens on Trek since have lived up to it.

McCoy: Samuel L. Jackson; I want to hear McCoy's lines coming out of his mouth. James Cromwell is my first instinct, but though I want someone older, he may be too old. Same goes for Tommy Lee Jones. And J.T. Walsh is dead.

Scotty: Angus MacFeydon - Scottish, authoritative, a bit heavyset, playful.

Uhura: Thandie Newton. And, for that matter, she has to do all the stuff that they had Hoshi doing on Enterprise before the writers crapped out.

Sulu: I wish I knew more Japanese actors by name, other than Takeshi Kitano. So, how about Takeshi Kaneshiro, star of Returner?

Chekov: I know even fewer young Russian actors, and I do think I'd want to go "international cast" here. I mean, I'm suggesting Pavel Ponomaryov because he was in Lilja 4-ever and is about the right age.

Number One: Gillain Anderson. I briefly considered making one of the other characters female as part of the update to make it a bit more modern, but figured using the XO from "The Cage" seems better. This won't inject much into the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic, since she mostly commands the Enterprise during the "night" shift, inasmuch as the term is relevant on a starship.

Yeoman Rand: Ludivine Sagnier. Because I can.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

Lou,

That's a pretty good alternative that I hadn't considered. Kevin Pollack could do the voice for Kirk :D

DS.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Kirk: Russell Crowe
Spock: Jude Law
McCoy: Ian McKellen
Sulu: Ben Stiller
Chekov: Owen Wilson
Scotty: Sean Connery
Uhura: Halle Berry or Angelina Jolie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks