What's new

I can't watch ST: Enterprise!!! Can you help a brother out? (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Due to the stupid decision to feature Star Trek: Enterprise on the UPN instead of syndication I cannot watch it. I live in Western Michigan and there are no UPN affiliates in my area.
I never really liked DS9 and I hated Voyager, but the new series intrigues me and I would like to see at least the premiere episode.
If anyone could tape the pilot for me I would be more than happy to reimburse them for the cost of the tape and shipping. Please e-mail me if you can help me with this.
------------------
"Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!"

350+ Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Some WB stations are carrying it on Saturday. I'd give them a call. UPN & WB are swapping shows when both channels are not available in a given market.
Glenn

BobV

Second Unit
You need a Canadian satellite dish Jasen :) . Enterprise is all over the Canadian dishes... UPN, Space, NewVR, NewRO, City, AChannel, etc. etc. etc.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that I am actually looking forward to this, as well. Oh hell, I'm really looking forward to it. But I agree with the TV Guide article that stated a Trek-free season or two might have been wise. Voyager left a bad taste in our collective mouth. Last week's rerun of the final episode had me yawning this time around.
And, of course, the entire premise of Enterprise means the basic Trek backstory must be altered. Until now, the good ol' NCC-1701 had been the first starship Enterprise. ...
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Danny R

Supporting Actor
And, of course, the entire premise of Enterprise means the basic Trek backstory must be altered. Until now, the good ol' NCC-1701 had been the first starship Enterprise. ...
Nope, The NCC-1701 has been the first FEDERATION starship Enterprise.
As a look at the current USA carrier fleet will show, the NCC-1701 is hardly the first ship with that name.
Likewise, the Enterprise depicted in the new series is simply another starship with that name... but predating the Federation.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I can't help adding a "yeah-but" here.
STTMP clearly showed a visual tribute to all the vessels named Enterprise throughout history, beginning with the old clipper ship rigged with full sails and then progressing through other iterations such as the aircraft carrier Enterprise, the space shuttle Enterprise, an early ring-like space ship, and finally the NCC-1701 as depicted in the original series. Captain Archer's ship, of course, is not there.
If continuity is to be maintained at all, I would imagine that the final episode of this new series would explain this ship's absence in history as the product of a temporal accident. That, at least, could clean up this problem as well as conclude the series.
Until then, let's enjoy the new show.
[Edited last by Jonathan Perregaux on September 24, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If continuity is to be maintained at all,
Already a lost cause, and a somewhat pointless one. I mean, from Paramount's perspective, they can:
(1) Accept a continuity error in one non-plot-affecting scene of one movie
or
(2) Concoct a highly detailed explanation that nullfies the television series you're watching, flies right over the heads of a good chunk of the audience, and is ultimately satisfying to a select few fans who are secretly angry about not having something to bitch about on the internet. :)
The correct course of action, I would think, would be (1).
It's not like these sorts of tweaks are unprecedented. The Trill makeup changed between TNG's "The Host" and DS9's "Emissary" once Berman, Piller and company saw how Terry Farrell looked in it (you don't hire a former model to look unpleasant); the Ferengi Alliance went from secretive heavies who had never been seen directly before "The Last Outpost" to longtime trading partners once the DS9 folks realized that Roddenberry's original conception made no sense whatsoever; Khan went from being a product of selective breeding (eugenics) to being a genetically engineered superman between "Space Seed" and TWOK. Heck, the Organian Peace Treaty was forgotten by the end of TOS.
I mean, trying to look at every detail of Trek as a cohesive future history is an exercise in futility. It works much better as a fun, familiar environment for light sci-fi stories and damn the details.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And, of course, Jason, there's the entire issue of the Klingon "look"--alluded to in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-lations."
Last night's promos on UPN looked kinda interesting. Let us hope. ...
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks