What's new

I cant tell, are Def Tech forward sounding speakers or laid back? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Or does this depend totally on the rest of the electronics? I really like the sound of Dynaudio or PSB. Anything else sound similar to these? Axiom or Diva perhaps?

Keir H

Second Unit
Oopss meant to say that I like the sound of Dynaudio and PMC, not PSB, never actually heard them...:D

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
That's a subjective question.

I think Definitives, especially the newer nodels with metal-dome tweeters are forward sounding.

For comparison:

I think Klipsch (horn loaded) speakers ar bright.

I think NHTs and Martin-Logans are neutral.

I think B&Ws are overly warm.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think that the Def Tech's with the metal dome tweeters do tend to "soften their edge" over time. Break in helps.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's a complex question. Certainly there can be great similarities amongst speakers and the marketplace thankfully provides us with tons to choose from...as for the electronics making a difference...no, not really...rather trivial in general unless one is talking tubes. a great difference is seen in the speaker/listener/room interaction.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Keir...I can't comment on someones elses product but I would subjectively characterize the Divas as laid back (small dip in the midrange) and neutral to slightly warm (tweeter rolls off the last octave a small amount).
Be sure to read this if you need help with the terms.
I hope that helps some :)
Give me a call if you would like to talk about anything audio (not just Divas)
Regards,
Sean

Keir H

Second Unit
thanks guys and Sean for responding. I just wanted to kinda get an idea where my speakers "stood" amongst others. I love the sound of Triad, Dynaudio, PMC, Celestion, Linn...if those are laid back like the Diva's and can compete musically, then they are a true world class bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks