What's new

I can't take it anymore, I've jumped to backing Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I have yet to buy into either format, but I can honestly say that up until this past week I have been a pretty staunch HDDVD supporter. First off I am not a Sony fan. I have never owned a sony product other than a discman (and a used PS2 only to play GuitarHero) and I think of Sony in the electronics industry like most think of Microsoft in the computer industry.

On the flip side I have always been a big fan of Toshiba. Loved their TVs very much. Every tv I have had has been a Toshiba. And they were one of the driving forces that brought us DVD.

But since the new year and CES I can't take it anymore. Sony started off slow but has made all the right moves and come on strong. And their catalog of title is getting stronger and deeper. This is the main attribute that has me converted.

Every couple of days or so I visit highdefdigest.com to see what new reviews they have and pretty much every day there is a line up of new BD reviews and maybe one HDDVD review and it is usually something that I would waste my time even looking at.

I am still not taking the plunge as I feel that prices will be dropping some more. But I can tell you right now that I am putting money aside to buy a Blu-ray disc player.

And if HDDVD are lucky, it will be a dual format player just to keep them alive.

Sorry Toshiba, but you are dropping the ball big time.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Toshiba is dropping the ball how? By not releasing more titles? Last time I checked, Toshiba is not a studio, they are a hardware manufacturer. ;)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I'm sure you'll be pleased. BD has far exceeded my expectations in terms of quality. The quicker this format war is over, we'll start to see more price drops on both hardware and software.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the Blu-Ray club. :) I came to the same decision and jumped in not too long ago, though before that I wasn't cheering on either format. Just watching intently.

On a side note I don't get the hate directed at Sony (not directing this at you but just a general observation). As Jeff noted they're not the only studio in the BRA. I find it ironic whenever I read HD-DVD supporters painting Sony as this evil entity yet they're okay to have Microsoft as the puppetmaster of HD-DVD. A company that views downloadable HD media as the future of home entertainment.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
See, when I decided to start this thread I didn't know whether I should put it in the Hardware or Software section.

So I'll clarify a few things. First, the reason I dislike Sony is because I dislike the way they handle their electronics. Almost all of Sony's products need other sony products. (ei; MD, Memory Stick, PS excesories) I like buying a product that gives the consumer an option when it comes to add-ons and periferals. I also dislike that every time a video format comes out that Sony has some sort of rival product/format or disgruntlement regarding the opposing format.

Now the reason I am now backing Blu-ray is due to software. The Blu-Ray camp is showing that they have a fantastic product and proving that the support they have had from the beginning is paying off.

The reason I say Toshiba is dropping the ball is because their support is not paying off for them.

If a sports team starts losing big time, regardless of the talent they have, the head coach or GM is fired. So I look to Toshiba if their software is not paying off. When I look at the upcomming release listings for both formats, HDDVD is scarce on anything that I would pick up. But Blu-ray is loaded with titles and I am sure their will be more coming.

So I am expecting that when the Samsung sec-gen player is released I will be weighing my options and see what that player includes, and away I go into HD Paradise.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
You might want to consider the PS3. It's a superb Blu-Ray player at a reasonable cost (compared to the standalones).

I'm not much of a "gamer" but bought it primarily as a BR player.

Either way - enjoy.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I think picking one over another at this point is foolish. There are enough HD-DVD-only titles and BR-only titles around that I support both. If I were to pick one over the other I'd be doing the other format a disservice.

I know it's not an answer you want to hear, but I don't want you thinking "awww, damn, [such and such] is HD-DVD only" and you wind up regretting your decision.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I have both so couldn't care less which format "wins" if one wins at all. Both are downright identical in my mind with respect to performance but I do lean towards hd dvd simply because I don't like the bluray group's arrogant attitudes and the fact stand alone units cost more....they brag about something that performs as well as the cheaper and more efficient competing product and trump the technical aspects as the reason their product is so amazing rather than the fact they got more studio support. If all studios were neutral bluray would have been smoked and they KNOW this but they keep shooting off their mouths.

I'm using the PS3 and a HD1.

Oh and I'd make a guess that bluray will come out on top but that is more because the hd dvd camp may be shooting themselves in the foot rather than bluray greatness....not hard to "win" something if your opponent screws up.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I am weighing the option of the PS3, but I am not sure it will do everything thing I would need. What is the audio situation regarding the new audio codecs/formats with the PS3. I do not yet have an HDMI receiver so analog outs would be necessary for me.

That is why I am looking at either the first gen Samsung, or the new BR1200 model that should be coming out in March.

The thing that leads me to believe that Blu-Ray will win the war is that they are moving forward, the studio support is phenomenal and will only get better is Universal jumps, and Toshiba and it's backers are not really doing much to better themselves.

My purchase won't be happening until the spring, but as it stands right now...Blu-ray is the way I am going.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
I just picked up a HDA2 - I will be using it for rental HD DVD and to upconvert the modest 200 SD DVD collection I have

I will not be buying any content, but will be 'voting' for HD DVD by renting it

I hope they win, but am not too concerned - I am buying the HDA2 at a $200 discount, so by the time everything gets sorted out (next year?), I will buy a current player for a low price

Meanwhile, I will enjoy HD DVD and upconverted SD

Dave>h

Second Unit
Ryan,

Really easy to support a format and then not buy into it. What kind of support is that?

Dave

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I'm not sure if you are trying to be rude or sarcastic, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have switched from being a person who was saving money and looking forward to purchasing an HDDVD player and software. But because the studio support for Blu-ray has flexed it's muscle and shows that the software lineup for BRD is very very strong I have changed my plans and am now planing on purchasing a Blu-Ray player.

At this point in time I do not have the funds to purchase one, and I am just waiting to see what options I have when the 2nd gen Blu-ray players come out. I am doing some remodelling of my home as well, my Toronto Raptors are playing great ball this year and I devote a certain amount of money to see the games live.

And I'm not saying that I cannot be swayed back to HDDVD, but at this point in time, if I were to purchase a player, it would be Blu-ray.

Hope that clears everything up.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't see either format having strong releases over the next few months.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I somewhat agree, but just see Blu-ray has a much more desirable lineup and better upcoming releases.

To be perfectly honest, the title that puched me over the edge was The Prestige. This is a must have for me in HD. Plus, if Disney starts to release the Pixar flims...it's all over. The Incredibles in HD would blow my mind.

And right now, if it was going to be released, it is only gong to come out on Blu-ray.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

The Prestige is scheduled for HD-DVD on May 14th in the UK, so you will have the option of both formats in terms of this title. I've already purchased Total Recall & Harry Potter & the Goblet Of Fire from France & the UK respectively, and I must say they are both excellent! Children Of Men is another must-have for me as well, and that will only be available on HD-DVD!

Not to sound rude, but the title of your thread indicates that you've switched allegiances of some sort -- yet you've not invested anything in either format. What exactly is it that you "can't take anymore" when you've never even bought an HD-DVD player or a single disc?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Naturally Sony has never been known for quality television monitors. And they had nothing to do with the DVD format, of course...

:D

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I went neutral and am supporting BD also. I'm liking both formats but prefer HD DVD of the two. Over they BOTH kick butt!

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

I don't take it as being rude. But I do have a rebuttal. If a person cannot afford to purchase a new format, but is saving his pennies and will buy one in the spring. Isn't the format to which he is planning to buy showing support for that format.

I guess I will leave it at that.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

The PS3 audio options are Optical connection or via HDMI. If analog outs are a deal breaker, you might want to wait for the Sony standalone that Sean posted about. That is a great price.

Anyhow good luck with Blu-Ray. With the releases planned and coming up you should be in for a fun ride. :) Plenty of titles out that you wont have to go scrambling around for pricey imports. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks