I Can't reset my homepage on IE - Help!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael Harris, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

My browser got hijacked. I used Spybot Search and Destroy and it found the offending registry entry and fixed it. But when I went to reset my homepage this is what happend:

1. I selected "tools"
    2. Clicked "internet options"
    3. Error box pops up stating "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your system administrator".

I have only one account on this computer and I have full admin rights.

I am running Win XP home on a 1.7Ghz Dell 8200 Inspiron. Something tells me my registry is jacked.

I guess I should say that the site I am hijacked to is www.nkvd.com and when I try to get to Google I get back to the hijack site.

Help please.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Try Ad-aware also? Update both before running.

Google your problem with error message on another computer and see if you find something. Sounds like a nasty problem. Try running Firefox instead of IE from now on, my folks' puter contantly got spyware infested but not after installing Firefox.

3. Michael Harris

Solved the problem. I was able to find a thread in which our fearless owner Ron E. got jacked. Did an XP system restore to yesterday and all is good now. I have always been using Sypbot and Ad Aware. Spybot could not correct the problem and Ad Aware did not even find it. Heck, manually editing the registry did not do it but then again I may not have gotten to all the keys.

Still curious about having to "contact the system administrator" for my own computer. Hmmmm.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It says that to me if I tell spybot to "not allow changing the default page from the internet options menu in IE". This option can be found in the spybot Immunize menu.

5. Michael Harris

That works only when I select "Internet Options" from within the control panel. Before I unchecked the option listed above the "general tab" was greyed out. But, I still can't access "internet properties" from withing IE itself. Thanks for the tip though because that was one thing I did not know about Spybot.

6. Michael Harris

Max, fixed it. You were Oh so close. Had to uncheck the "Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE" option". Thanks.

I am a little smarter and wiser on such things.