I can't get my optical cables to fit in my receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm trying to hook my DVD up to my receiver using the optical cable. Is it supposed to be hard to fit in? I lined it up to where it looked like it would fit, but couldn't get the cable to go in. This is my first time trying to do this, so I'm not sure what's going on. Is this normal?

I have an Onkyo SR600, and I bought Monster Interlink Lightspeed 100 Fibre Optic Cable.

2. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Did you take off the protective caps, on the receiver's input, the DVD player's output, and both ends of the cable?

3. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Ah-hah, I admit I didn't know to take anything off the cable itself. I'd never really seen these cables before, so I had no idea what would be breaking it.

What part of the cable to I take off?

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Take off the small opaque cover on the very tip. It should come of fairly easily. If it's not, it's either stuck on, you your you don't have a cover in the first place.

5. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Ok, yes I do see a plastic cover on the tip. So it's okay to take it off and throw it away?

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

7. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

be sure not to touch the tip of the cable though. fiber optic cables are very succeptible to contamination, and a simple fingerprint can cut up to 45% of data transmission out.

8. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

crap, I wish I'd known about the fingerprint thing. I don't know if I touched it or not since I wasn't thinking about it... how do I know if I did much damage? Now I'm nervous about my cable, since it was pretty expensive.

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    This is my first time hearing about the fingerprint thing. As many times as I've connected and reconnected my cables without incident assuming you wern't wiring and eating bbq ribs at the same time you'll be ok.

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

11. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Sounds to me like a job for rubbing alcohol. But, frankly, I wouldn't do that without first just trying it as-is and seeing (hearing) if everything works. (But then again I'm no pro.) This isn't the movie Real Genius, where a high-powered laser hits a smudge and causes a fire.

FYI, on the cables I have, the caps are clear. In fact, they look just like the tip of the optical cable itself, and, yes, the first time I used them I didn't know they had caps...

12. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i would hook em up first, and see if you have any audio problems. if you do, try a super soft cloth and some rubbing alcohol. very lightly (or should i say extremely) buff the end of the cable. fiber is very sensitive to scratches and the such.
    HT gear may not be all that picky, but i used fiber on many large networks, and you had to look at your fiber cables through a microscope to make sure there were absolutely no scratches on the core.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

maybe it's just me, but the (lack of) durability issue with optical cables has never applied to me.

i've got a monster optical cable that i bought a few years ago. i've touched the tips, lost the protective caps, tossed it in my cable bag, etc.

i admit that i don't abuse the cable, but i certainly don't baby it either.

i suspect, even if you've touched the tip, it'll work fine. don't try to clean it until you think it's causing problems.

14. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

I had an optical cable just up and die on me once. It was all connected, working fine for months. I didn't move it. Then one day I switched to that input, and no sound. Weird.