What's new

I can't get "msconfig" to work form Run menu (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
When I type in "msconfig" to the Run command line (start menu --> Run), nothing happens. How else can I access msconfig?

using Win XP

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
MSCONFIG is not part of XP. Download it off the net and install in your windows directory.

Then it'll work....least, that's what I had to do.

Using XP Pro.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
that's weird, b/c since I started using XP in 2002 I've been able to get a screen after typing in msconfig on the run prompt line and all the sudden it stopped working. My brother's computer runs XP and his msconfig works... "System Configuration Utility" screen pops up like mine used to. In other words, msconfig exists for 98 and XP, but where did mine go!!?

edit: the downloadable version reacts the same way...nothingness

SethH

Senior HTF Member
It sounds to me like you might have something screwing with you. I would download AdAware and run it. Then download Spybot and run it. Then download HiJackThis and run it (you'll have to post your results for HiJackThis on a forum on their website for help). If you do all those things I bet you'll be up-and-running.

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
I know SP2 on XP has been causing various problems. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke something...

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I won't say that SP2 is not the problem, but I've got access to 4 computers with SP2 and msconfig works on all of them.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
WHOOPS! That's right, my XP did have msconfig. It was Windows 2000 that I had to do the download.

Again, no computer expert here.

I'm running SP2 so I don't think that is an issue.

Jason

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Do you get an error message (something like "Windows cannot find Msconfig. ...blah, blah, blah...")? If not, the Run command did find the file and adding ".exe" has nothing to do with the problem.

Cees

Ken.Nischan

Agent
Alot of viruses kill msconfig along with regedit to protect themselves. Try doing start, run, type regedit and hit OK. If you don't get a window named "Registry Editor" you certainly have a virus. Well, either way can't hurt to do a scan and be sure you update your definitions. Of course, lots of viruses also kill antivirus programs too :)

Another way to tell if the virus is killing the process is to do a search for msconfig.exe and once you find it, rename it to something else like msconfig2.exe then run it. If it opens with a diff name, also a virus. I've seen them do that alot.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Virus or ad program. One of the most insidious things I've seen ad banner programs do is redirect your google search. For instance you see "blah1" in your task monitor and want to see what it is so you do a google search on "blah1", and the bugger intercepts it and fixes your search results with links to "ad removal" programs that are nothing more than more adware in themselves... Bastards...

- Cryo

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
uh oh, i feared the worst...

given your descrp's, looks like a virus. i run adaware all the time...spybot sometimes. hopefully, spyware debuggers will fix it, if not, ill have to crack down and buy norton antivirus!

i feel my ego has let me down on this one b/c when it comes to computer maintenance, its almost a religous ordeal for me and hence the reason for no antivirus software. internet exploration and emails have outpaced my maintenance efforts....grrrr

btw, i have not downloaded sp2 yet...prolly wont till i hear more good things about the need for it on a personal comp

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ho, ho, ho. No jumping to conclusions. :)

Not everything that looks weird is a virus. It could be, but you're not certain of that. Just go on diagnosing the problem.

I take it you don't get the error message I referred to above when you try to run msconfig?

Now, please, look up msconfig.exe on your disc, probably under the "windows" folder (may be called differently on your system, but probably WINDOWS, so I'll use that here): WINDOWSPCHEALTHHELPCTRBinaries. Is msconfig.exe indeed there? What is it's size and date of creation?

(If you want to be sure about regedit, it should be in the WINDOWS folder).

Now mine (msconfig.exe) is 155 KB (regedit is 143 KB) and created on the same day and time as so many system files in that folder (regedit.exe too). In my case, both are last modified recently: on the day I installed XP service pack 2. If you didn't do that, your date should be earlier.

BTW, if you are afraid of possible viruses, it might be a good idea to install SP2, because apparently, it will modify/replace important system files with correct ones.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks