What's new

I Can't Drive 55 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While driving through Washington state, a trooper pulled onto the freeway in the curb lane next to me. I was doing just over the posted limit, and was very (and I mean VERY) slowly creeping up alongside. The trooper got on the loudspeaker and said "I'm going the speed limit. You DO NOT want to pass me." Who was I to argue?

I can't drive 55 either - my car won't go that fast...

However, we have a mountain pass nearby with a posted limit of 100km/h. I am lucky to hit 70 up that hill, so coming back I figure 130 is okay, it all averages out. :D

I don't think I'd get very far with that explanation though...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Good to see a college education being put to good use. Perhaps next time, they can make a film about why the checkout lines at the mall are like, so long and stuff.

Bruce

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Their publicity stunt is gaining more notoriety. I saw the three principals along with the footage of their foolish experiment (I don't use this word often, but 'duhh?') on MSNBC.

They appeared to broadcast a self-important, quasi-ivory tower message more than ever, particulary the doofus architect of this aggrandized act. Again, they did not fortify their premise on Georgia written code and instead propagated their appeal that their actions were entirely legal.

These wannabe dorks confuse youthful, collegiate idealism with the idiotic and juvenile.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
It's true however that being expected to break the law daily isn't an acceptable state. I shouldn't have to live under the possibility that the local PD can fine me (and dramatically raise my insurance) at any time and be technically correct to do so.

Unenforced or rarely enforced laws are bad for the rule of law.

There will be a few MPH/KPH of flexibility at any limit due to imperfect instrumentation, but when the limit is 55 and the standard is 75, that's a problem.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Here in California, such a stunt will result in instant citations from the local constabulary in no time flat for two reasons:

1. You cannot hold back more that five cars behind you per lane.

2. Such side-by-side driving is illegal because of the potential of causing a massive accident.

By definition, they turned a relatively safe driving condition into one that could have resulted in a multicar accident for all the wrong reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks