I Can't Drive 55

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin Hewell, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

This is a video made by a group of Georgia State University students that has been making the rounds and I thought I would share it here.

In the video the students drive around Atlanta's perimeter highway (I-285) in each of the lanes never driving over 55 mph. The results are pretty funny.

Video

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Cute. [​IMG] except they aren't completely driving under the letter of the law, which is why they are still morons, that is unless Georgia state law is different than most.

Jay

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

They're right, the Interstate speed limits are a joke, BUT some people insist on treating speed limits everywhere as jokes.
    Just this morning, as I was going the 35 mph limit in a heavily residential area, some bozo blasted past me, just so he could beat me to the next turnoff. ?? WTF???

I'm surprised the students didn't get more really angry reactions. Maybe they just didn't show them.

I have to drive to Atlanta about once a month. I'm no chicken, but I do get a little scared sometimes when the flow is going 75, and someone going 100+ comes weaving through. More then once I have seen multi car pileups that were just so stupid.

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Not only was that a dangerous stunt, but illegal in every state I've ever driven in. Impeding a faster driver in the passing lane -- even a faster driver breaking the speed limit -- is against the law in most states.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Reason 102 to hate GSU students...

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    it's only the first reason for me. interesting project in theory, but totally reckless and dangerous. i hope they didn't block an ambulance or fire truck while pulling this prank.

CJ

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

fucking morons.

8. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Speedometers almost always read low, so driving 55 is probably only 50-52. If you drive with a GPS that's not build into your car, you can figure out how much your speedometer is off.

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

They will never abolish the 55 law because every PD in the country needs the funding (from tickets).

If they (the students) really wanted a reaction they'd do this little stunt in D.C.

10. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

The point is that the stunt is dangerous. If for the only the fact that medical, fire and police can't get through. It shouldn't be done anywhere.

They are lucky they didn't create a horrendous accident or cause someone to be killed or injured by their stupid stunt. If they had I don't think they'd be smirking now.

11. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

I agree with the point they set out to make, but I vehemently DISagree with the way they chose to attempt to make it. Their stunt was not only stupid and dangerous, but, as several others have mentioned, totally illegal.

I hope the widespread distribution of this video evidence can somehow result in them having to face the legal repercussions they deserve.

An 18-wheeler "mad" at them? Yeah...I hope they remember that the next time they're in the grocery store, or ANY store. Those products don't just magically appear on the shelves, teleported directly from the factory.

Idiots. They're lucky they weren't the direct victims of some SEVERE road rage, instead of just the couple of close calls they described.

And, they're EXTREMELY lucky that no one else was apparently injured.

12. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

I bet the students would have seen more reactions had the irritated drivers about a quarter mile back could have responded to them.

13. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Failure to keep right unless passing is a offense in many states. However, I can't say if it is in GA...

That's all I'll say in this thread, see ya!

Jay

15. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Someone should count how many times the word "like" is spoken in that video.

16. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Im glad I watched this without sound.

17. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Heh. In Dallas, the Police Department does this on an official basis: they call it a "rolling roadblock", and they fill all the lanes of the Interstate with black-and-whites doing exactly the speed limit — and Dallas has some broad freeways, and some crazy drivers. Surprised to see the reactions from all the people who seem to feel that speeding is a human right. I admit I do it, because I have to keep pace with the traffic flow around me or get rear-ended, but I don't like it; not to mention there are plenty of times and places where I could have been arrested for violating the minimum speed limit, along with everybody else within miles — a/k/a a traffic jam, often the result of a crash caused by some daredevil whipping in and out of traffic at 95 or higher [and I'm not kidding]. A motorcyclist was arrested here not long ago after doing 140 MPH on some busy highways.

18. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yep, there is that "no rolling roadblock" rule on the books, so those students were just lucky they didn't get arrested for such a stunt.

Go Yellow Jackets! [​IMG]

20. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    In addition, from the site Linda cited:
    40-6-40