What's new

I can't decide between the yammy 1400 or HK 7200 (1 Viewer)

Brandon D

Agent
With recent price reductions and rebates, I can't decide which would be a better or more wise buy. My primary use will be for the likes of home theater with a little stereo listening as well.

The HK has a very strong amp section and the yammy has the new DPIIx software where as the 7200 has logic 7.

I'll be running either a 5.1 or a 6.1 setup (yet to be determined, more than likely 3 pairs of paradigm studio 20's).

Any have any ideas which would be better overall? Basically - should I bail out on the 7200 because it doesn't have DPIIx?

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
Who cares about DPLIIx? I use my Logic 7 a lot and I think it is superior. I suggest listening to both and then deciding.

Chris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I would agree with Andrew. I like to use logic 7 and find it superior to pro-logic in most circumstances.
The 7200 is a very nice unit.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
If DPIIx is something you want go for it. With all of the modes that I have now I don't use half of them.... :D

So my answer is, it is a toss up, which one did you like better? Which one caught your eye? Really talked to you? Go with that one. :cool:

I think the 'which is better' of modes has been over debated. I think it is a matter of taste.

Brandon D

Agent
i'm not overly concerned with "modes" I was just wondering which would be better - the 1400/2400 or the hk 7200.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Consider that the H/K AVR-7200 had an original "list" price of $1,999. The "Yammy" receivers had list prices of $799 and $999, respectively.

More money had to go into building the H/K AVR-7200 receiver. The thing weighs 63 Lbs. and is over 20 inches deep -- before you connect any wires, etc. to the back. Just be sure that you have an adequate area to install the AVR-7200 if you do purchase it.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Brandon,

Head down to Ovations and demo the Yamaha with the Paradigms. Unfortunately, I don't believe they sell HK there, so it will be hard to get a direct idea of how it compares. I know HH Gregg sells HK stuff, but there speaker selection there is kinda iffy.

HH Gregg probably has a pretty decent return policy, so you could buy the HK and return it if you don't like how it compares to the Yamaha. However, I would highly recommend settling on what kind of speakers you are gonna have for sure before you start looking at new receivers. Speakers are gonna be the biggest influence on sound you will have in your system. Good luck!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I prefer Yamaha over H/K but there really is no comparison between the two. Get the H/K. It is an awsome receiver and is H/K's flagship. To fairly compare a Yamaha model you would have to look at the rx-z1 or maybe the rx-v3300. The 1400 just is not in the same league. The 1400 better compares to the 430 or next model up. DPLIIX should NEVER be enough to sway someone away from a flagship receiver as good as the 7200. Now if you are planning to get a seperate amp down the raod then I would get the 1400.

I have been looking at the Yamaha 2400 vs the HK 7200. Here is the general concensus of opinions that I have gathered so far.

The HK 7200 has larger amps and therefore more power and head room. It weighs around 60 lbs., so there must be some serious hardware in there (or a few bricks!)HK's are a supposedly "warmer" sounding product, which is arguably better for music. HK Pro Logic 7 is supposed to do the nearly the same thing as the DPLIIx, but it appears that some of the more knowledgeable people feel DPLIIx is a little better. My concerns with HK are the well documented audio drop outs when switching audio source types, which usually happens at the start of the most DVD movies. I am told this a 2-3 second drop out. Some hate this, some can live with it. HK's are also known to have some reliability problems.

The Yamaha 2400 (and 1400) have YPAO (auto equalization and setup), PLIIx, THX, and the well known excellent build and reliability of Yamaha products. No drop outs, very smooth and dependable. Some say that Yamaha's are "bright" sounding, others say they are just detailed. It probably depends on your room and speakers. Most people find the power of the 2400 more than adequate, but some don't. The power amp issue would be the major criticism of the 2400 vs. the 7200.

Right now I am leaning towards the Yamaha due to the extra features (auto equalizer, DPLIIx, THX) and mostly reliability. I really don't think I can handle drop outs and reliability issues. If I was really concerned about needing more power I would go with the HK, but I think the Yamaha can handle my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks