I can't believe what my bird Sam has been through.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jul 18, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My family and I got him back when I was around 6 or 7, and we lived next door. My grandmother owns 2 houses next to each other, hence me lving next door before.

Sam has been through most everything in my life. First was the move to the house we're in now. He's seen so many pets come and go, including many birds like Max the African grey and Barney the umbrella cockatoo, who were his best friends till they bit my sister. He's seen my mom sick so many times. He saw my mom and stepfather's marriage. He's seen the birth of my sister. He's seen and met most of my mom's biological family when she contacted them after being adopted and not seeing them for 25 years. Too bad she met them, those greedy lowlife jerks. Sam's also seen many of my cousins stay for summers. He's seen the house being renovated twice. He's been moved around the house so many times. He's seen my cousin live here and leave 3 different times. He's seen when my mom had the stroke and heart surgery. He's seen me graduate kindergarten, start elementary school, and graduate high school. He's seen my mom and stepfather divorce. He's seen his own bout with an infection and liver problems. The list goes on.

I'm gonna dread the day Sam dies. The vet said that bluefront Amazons(which he is) average about 40 years. Sam's now around 17. Hopefully he'll live out his lifespan and then some. He has become such a fixture of the household, that it'll be strange when he's gone. I love him to death, even though he can be an ass sometimes.

2. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

I can't explain why I like this post. But I do.

3. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,

Great story. That is the best thing about owning a bird their lifespan can be so very long. I am looking to many wonderful years with my B&G!

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

In what way is he an ass? Does he sing or mimic human voices?

Tropical birds are pretty darn cool...

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

He sometimes decides to attack my mom and one of my dogs, and he loves to scream, hence me saying he can be an ass. He's cool none the less.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

So you have the world's only attack parrot? [​IMG]
    Can he attack on command? [​IMG]
    (I know I know...he's not a parrot...but it sounds cool phrased that way! [​IMG])

7. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

My B&G will be 7 months old on the 25th. While not the attack parrot we have trained him (without really trying) to poop on command.
    Hard to believe how smart these birds are. When we spend more than 20-30 minutes with him we can take him to his cage or the toilet and tell him to poop a few times and bombs away.
    My brother didn't believe he could do it but he learned otherwise [​IMG]