I can't believe it - an A&R guy from California's interested in the band!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Jan 2, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't think we'll get past the first listen of the CD but bloody hell, I'm scared. How does that happen? You send demos off to all sorts of labels and get nothing and then some guy who works for some other guy streams something to a guy who likes it.
    Well, here's hoping for that 5-album, $1m record deal.[​IMG] ...In our dreams.[​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

i would recommend reading up on major label contracts. There is no such thing as a $1 million deal... all money from a label is recoupable from your very tiny royalties- after making an album you have to sell 300,000+ to break even.

also, it is my experience than any dickhead with a suit calls himself A&R these days-- and seldom representes more than a small label or, worse, a sleezy management firm. Check into whoever you deal with- don't get stars in your eyes. Less than 1 in 1000 bands signed with the big 5 ever makes a dime.

Good luck (run away!!)

Vince

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Oh we have NO chance but it was just damn scary to speak to some guy miles away who apparently had one of our tracks streamed to him from somewhere. Apparently they also do movies and, if he's to be believed, they are doing the third of Ice Cube's 'Friday' films.[​IMG]

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Well, you never know. It could be legit. Good luck if it is. [​IMG]
    Jon

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Get your song in a movie. You'll get royalty checks every time a DVD is sold, a PPV is bought, it is played on Showtime or even USA.

What they don't make clear to you in that $40K record deal is that you start out owing them $200K for the recording costs. Since your royalties are so tiny you have to sell 500K records just to break even. So after a successful album you and your buddies end up in debt for $50K or more. Unless you are a megahit.

The only way to make money in the music business these days is successful touring. Or movie music - that's another good way.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Japan is the territory. Blur used touring there to keep them afloat during the pre-Parklife period.[​IMG]

7. Alex Johnson

Alex Johnson Stunt Coordinator

sync work is the way to go.

best of luck.

cheers,

a