I Can't Believe "Brazil" is Rated R

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I just rented the original 131-minute theatrical cut of "Brazil" from a local video store yesterday and when it was over, I thought for the most part that "Brazil" should've been rated PG-13. Was there any specific reason why "Brazil was rated R when it first came out in theatres because it doesn't seem like R-rated material. I have read the script for the 142-minute cut and with at least three uses of the "F" word would've given it an R rating, but the theatrical cut only has one use of the "F" word. The only other assumption of why this film got an "R" rating is the scene where Michael Palin gets shot towards the end, but I'm really curious why this movie is rated R. Can someone explain it out?

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

There is some brief, and likely accidental, nudity, but there is a fair amount of violence. You have some terrorist bombings, gunfights, and some nightmarish imagery. Of course, back then they sometimes voted R for thematic elements.

Of course, this kind of conundrum always comes out when you have such a subjective rating system as we have.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

MPAA members probably didn't understand the film and just assumed there was objectionable content. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I agree with Camp
    It's R for "Rut the fuck was that?" [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Nicholas, you might like to rent the director’s cut, which is another 11 minutes (and is available on the Criterion box set).

There was so much controversy surrounding this film, that I think a part of the rating was a reaction to the campaign waged against Universal by Terry Gilliam. Gilliam has a lot to say (as you would expect) on this in the commentary on the Criterion edition.

6. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Lew, I rented the original cut because I wanted to see the movie in some form. About the Criterion version, this week is my 17th birthday, so birthday money should be coming and it will soon be part of my collection. About the 142-minute cut, I can't wait to see it, especially with whatever changes there are.

BTW, can anyone tell me if the line, "Sam, what are we gonna do with you?" is in the original cut because it is in the trailer, but I didn't see it in the theatrical version. Is it only in the director's cut?

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

8. Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory Stunt Coordinator

I find this thread somewhat amusing because I was a college freshman when Brazil was initially released. I went to see the movie with some of my fellow students. One student was so disturbed by the movie that he was angry that it had been released. He was concerned that children might see the movie and be scarred for life. Of course, the 'R' rating should have prevented this from happening, or at least prevented children from seeing it without an accompanying parent or adult guardian. Thank god for the foresight of the MPAA!
    I agree that the Criterion DVD is excellent.

9. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I would like to propose a Constitutional Amendment, clearly stating that anyone who has ever had to fill out a W-4 form must watch Brazil.
    Once...no, twice a year.
    End communication.
    (As for the R content, there is some nudity and violence, and a man is killed by caca. This could lead to brain damage, hearing loss, anti-social behavior, and bad breath. YMMV...)

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

It's rated R? That somehow was under the radar for me.

11. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Wasn't Brazil released at a time when there was no PG-13?

If MPAA had a choice between PG and R only, it would definitely be an R.

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the long version is also on the standard release dvd.
    although not noted as such anywere on it. i know because i had it.

14. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Oops, no, there are two men killed (hilariously and appropriately) by caca. Thus R. Not to mention Jill's lovely body.