What's new

I cannot believe Mission Impossible(tv) has not been released... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am really surprised that Mission Impossible is not available for dvd yet. After Star Trek it was one of Paramount's biggest & most successful tv series. Even having 2(and a 3rd coming) remake movies out. I understand Paramount is concentrating on Trek. But, with the lack of syndication viewing for the show. It would be a perfect show to release on dvd.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent idea!!

One of my favorite shows of all time. I have some on video, including the columbia house 20 video set.

We should let someone know that these would be well received.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, with the lack of syndication viewing for the show. It would be a perfect show to release on dvd.
Of course, this also indicates a lack of interest - if there were a demand for Mission Impossible, it would be running on TV Land or TNN or wherever old Paramount programs end up.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I also can't believe that Mission: Impossible TV show isn't on DVD. I would purchase Mission: Impossible on DVD but only in season format.

I also can't believe that Paramount hasn't put Police Squad on DVD yet. Police Squad only has 6 episodes so that means that it won't use too many discs.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
It was on for a long time on the FX channel(along with the new version from the 80's). But, they pulled it so they could air 90210 and X-files more. ;)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yeah, FX ran it for a few years, but the shows were seriously edited. It never did very well in syndication.

The VHS releases didn't sell well, so they probably think DVDs won't either. I think a season set release might sell.

I'd rather have season sets of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. though.

DeeAnn

Grip
I'd rather have season sets of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. though.
Yes!!!
Though I'd also really like to see Mission: Impossible on DVD, I'd snap up The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in a second. I still have my tapes from TNT when they ran it a few years back (a lot of them horribly time compressed) and all of the Turner/MGM tapes. I even did a (long abandoned) fansite a few years ago: The Television Tie-In Affair
DeeAnn

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've been told,they had a very difficult time securing rights clearance on the The Man From UNCLE episodes that were previously released on VHS so that if we ever do get any released on DVD they'll likely be those very same episodes and not in the very desirable season by season format. Still I'd be happy to see even those episodes issued,not to mention any and all classic Mission:Impossible episodes.
That's the joy of DVD,releasing these increasingly hard to see classic TV series gives them new life and introduces them to a totally new viewing audience. I just don't understand the appeal to buyers of last week's episode of a current ongoing TV series when all you have to do is just turn on your set to watch them now.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I guess I should consider myself lucky that a few years ago, the PBS station in my hometown (Moline, IL) ran the entire series of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. in order, uninterupted and best of all, uncut! I was able to talk my pal into taping them. If this little station could get the rights to do that, I'd think the DVD rights could be worked out.

In any case, I'd buy them.

AS for MISSION, I'd even like to see the 1988-1990 revival series on DVD. For what it was (mostly remakes of old episodes) it worked pretty well I thought. They even trotted out some of the old cast memebers (besides regular Peter Graves) to appear from time to time.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
It's surely just a matter of time until Paramount releases what's arguably its second biggest TV drama franchise behind Star Trek.

I'd guess that Paramount will start releasing Mission: Impossible on DVD to coincide with the M:I 3 in 2004, but it would be nice to get some confirmation that plans are underway and that we can look forward to some quality releases starting with first season starring Stephen Hill as Dan Briggs.

Incidentally, I still reckon Mission: Impossible boasts one of the most perfect TV formats of all time, now rather sqaundered on a largely unrelated film series. Surely there's a real opening for a slick, CSI-style high-tech new series, featuring all the latest gadgets and gizmos?

David

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I'd go for this just for the opening credits alone!

cool demo. (new series that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks