1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

I can still remember the HD, Blue-ray wars

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JackKay, Nov 30, 2004.

1. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

Yes, I can still remember those old format wars. Not long after, (ten years) we decided to dedicate that room in our basement to Home Theater. And for another 25-30 years and beyond upgraded. Recently we finally bought that receiver/amp we always wanted because it had DTS-EXXX28.7 with its 28 discrete channels and 7 sub woofers. We went with Boston/Bose/Advent/Energy brand speakers because they were so easy to put up. No thicker than wall paper and coming in so many designs we found it made a beautiful ceiling border around the wall that was only 4 inches wide. And being directional you could only hear them when you walked into the room!
    Now the Viewer was another matter, but we went with the Sony/Toshiba/NBC Universal/Time Warner/Disney brand 6K resolution paint. It was slightly cheaper and dried in one hour. With one coat we got the full 6000 lines of resolution, but not the Octogonic resolution which would of required 3 coats and 24 hours of drying time (plus 4 times the cost), but would have given us the option of walking through the movies and looking (having visuals in all directions)back rather than forward as in the old days.
    While I still look forward to the future right now I'am happy with what I have and will not upgrade again until I know if 8K in Tri-Octogonicle will be a better Viewer just because it has Dolby/DTS-EX34.12 and the option that I can fly around above and below the action.

P.S. Lord of the Rings is terrific, even though poor Peter Jackson died still working on ROTK Tri-Octogonic re masters. (well he WAS in his 90's)

2. RichP

RichP Second Unit

Wait, I get it, this is a joke right? Right? [​IMG]

3. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Simply marvellous. [​IMG]

4. Aaron Thorne

Aaron Thorne Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    phenomenal...

5. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Funny!

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I watched the 27 hours Ultimate Extended Extensive Edition last weekend innhis honor [​IMG].

--
    H

7. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Though I am happy about many re-releases did we really needs a 257th release of Army of Darkness: S:mart Blue light Special Edition?

I think their 249th release was the best, the Give me some sugar edition with extra footage of the love scene reshot using CGI actors.

8. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Did it finally include the Scouring of the Shire? [​IMG]

Re the original post: LOL!

enjoy!

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I can't wait for the Ultrabit of Spider-Man X! This will be Sony's first full-bitrate DTS 28.7 track. I'm still stuck with 10.3, though. [​IMG]

10. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I finally ordered the "Every Movie Ever Made" DVD, and it's certainly going to take me a while to get through the hundreds of thousands of films they included. It sure is nice having every movie ever made on just one DVD, and the image and sound are fantastic. I hope the "Every Album Ever Made" CD is as good, as I hope to order it next week.

In all seriousness, I remember years ago hearing about projects that would make it possible to store large amounts of audio or video on one disc. It was probably a combination of a huge storage capacity and highly compressed data, but I don't remember the details. Obviously we've made some progress (and Blu-Ray may bring us another step closer), but we're still a long way from the kind of storage capacity/compression techniques that would make it possible to store many movies on one disc. But when I look at my ever-increasing DVD collection, being able to have multiple movies on one disc is certainly a space-saving dream.

Steve K.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

And it was then that I decided to stop keeping up with the new formats and just enjoy my CED videodisc collection on my 40-year-old player that still works great. My collection includes one of the last surviving copies of Al Jolson's "The Jazz Singer" in its original black-and-white and mono presentation, without the CGI enhancements, 10-channel sound mix and politically-correct alterations.

12. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Does any one know when season 78 of Law & Order is coming out?

13. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The same day that season 8 of CSI: Sioux City Iowa* comes out.

*The 84th CSI series.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Sure, Steve. But I still won't get it since its missing Song of the South!

No SotS = No Sale.

Jack: I'm gonna go fire up my Betamax while I ponder what you've done here.

15. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Walt Disney Treasures: The Trial of Michael Eisner was my favorite release in 2014. The security camera footage of Eisner refusing to let go of his desk as he was being fired back in 2005 was priceless. His bloody rampage at Disneyland the following week, after he was told that he had to wait in line like everybody else, still brings a shiver to my spine. I never thought Goofy's Bounce House would see such horror.

16. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

Thread =[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!!

17. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

Ah, but it still didn't stop him being re-elected as President, did it?

18. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Funny stuff guys. The post about the Micheal Eisner being fired was the best.

19. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    duplicate post

20. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

And finally, next week, we'll see the complete Twin Peaks TV series collection, complete with outtakes and a trailer for the 2030 remake, starring J.Lo jr and Ben Affleck IIIrd...