I can see the Rodeo wildfire smoke plume.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Hurst, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst Stunt Coordinator

Wow just noticed looking out the window that I can see the smoke plume from the Rodeo wildfire. Not to worry fellow forum members, we are about 100 miles from the fire. I am just amazed that we can see it this far.

2. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    I haven't been able to see the mountains (about 8 miles away) for the last 10 days. Unfortunately for those of us here in Denver, we are IN the smoke plume. [​IMG]
    That being said, it is amazing how far those things are visible. A friend of mine was flying back from California last Sunday, and took some pictures of the Coal Seam (in Glenwood Springs) from the plane. When you consider that he was about 25 miles away at 35k feet, the amount of fire that was visible is amazing. He got some pretty decent digital pictures of it.
    A few years ago during another fire, I took a look out my office window and saw the smoke plume rising and then getting caught in the upper-level winds. When you consider that the view had been clear a few hours before, I couldn't believe how much smoke was generated in such a short period of time.

3. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Michael,
    My office is on the first floor of the Esplanade, and the fire is visible from offices in the floors above. Scary. I can't believe how bad this fire is. In three days it has charred the same amount of acreage as the Colorado fire, only the CO fire has been burning for nearly two weeks. Officials are estimating that it could easily burn over 300,000 acres before it is contained. Considering that today is the first official day of summer, there may not be anything left of scenic Northern Arizona by the time this fire season is over.
    Rodeo Fire

4. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator