I buy a DTS DVD, Why doesnt it default to DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ruben Zamora, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

THis pisses me off. IF YOU BUY a DTS DVD, why doesnt it Default to DTS. Is there a setting I need to enable in my DVD player?
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

2. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

IMHO, one more thing you can blame on J6P...supposedly (and I am not that tech-saavy) playing DTS on non-DTS equipment can be damaging...and most J6P could buy it without even knowing what the heck DTS is...just apretty red logo.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    You MUST
    see this Film!

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

The only DVD i had so far that has a DTS default track,is the re-release of the THIN RED LINE,2nd edition.
    1 only logical reason that i can think of why DTS DVD do not have DTS default track,all DVD players have DD decoders only,either processing full 5.1 tracks or downmix into 2ch stereo or stereo surround.
    If DTS DVDs default tracks are the DTS streams,what will happen is that users who do not have DTS 5.1 decoding installations and equipments will immediately hear rushing noises...if the users had set the volume to reference level,there may even be great danger that they will damage their gears.
    [Edited last by YANG on November 11, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Dolby Digital 5.1 is the standard in the specification, the DTS track is an extra.
    Makes perfect sense to have the disc default to the standard that people are supposed to be able to use universally.
    I think that even on DTS-only discs like the Jurassic Park DTS editions, the discs default to Dolby 2.0 - and that is how it's supposed to be, really.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Some DVD players have a feature which lets you have the player look for DTS first, then Dolby 5.1 and then anything else. My sony does.
    Capt

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I think that even on DTS-only discs like the Jurassic Park DTS editions, the discs default to Dolby 2.0 - and that is how it's supposed to be, really.

7. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Makes sense to me.... DD is the default specification standard of DVD, and that is true of ANY disc labeled DVD. Even "dts specific" discs MUST contain a DD audio track, even if it's only 1 channel. As the unencoded dts track is potentially damaging to speakers - why would it be any other way?
    I think all of us would rather be safe than sorry. How would you feel if you lent a "dts spefic" disc to a buddy, only to find out it fried his tweeters? It is no great effort to select the dts track.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Alex Shk on November 11, 2001 at 06:40 PM]

8. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Having Analog L/R Cables hooked up from my DVD Player to my receiver in addition to the TOSLink Fiber Optic... I just switched my receiver to analog and did a quick test...
    I popped American Beauty, chose DTS and slowly increased the volume as the Flying Disk Intro played and...
    Spoiler:Nothing! No Sound At All!
    It's hard to damage equipment with nothing! So I guess those warnings about loud noises that could damage speakers on the analogs are full of crap!
    And my DVD Player was set to DTS as well (So it's not the player not set for DTS that was playing the DD2.0 version which I would have heard.)
    Same thing with the TOSLink BTW - Since my receiver isn't DTS Capable (Until I upgrade it Thursday)

9. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

quote: So I guess those warnings about loud noises that could damage speakers on the analogs are full of crap![/quote]
    Martin,
    Fact is, most DVD players will play loud static out the analogue outputs when playing a DTS track. I have no idea why you didn't experience this on your setup.
    To say that the warnings are 'full of crap' is completely unjustified.
    [Edited last by David Ely on November 11, 2001 at 09:19 PM]

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Most DVD players will not play loud blasts of static on DTS DVDs, although some first generation players might. All DVD players will play blasts of static through the analog outputs on DTS CDs, however. Personally, I think that DD 2.0 audio should be the default. I'm capable enough to select an audio track without wasting more than a few seconds, and I'm realistic enough to realize that by far the majority of people with DVD players will be watching via some form of 2-channel sound. The only time where it even comes close to being an annoyance is with 2-disc sets with an intermission such as Lawrence of Arabia.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Makes sense to me that it does not default to DTS. And I believe they set it up like that because they probably assume that it you buy a DTS disc then you will conscienciously look to set your equipment to reproduce DTS. And defaulting to prologic is a safety precaution as to not damage your equipment.

12. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

All of my Sony players will output static when playing a DTS DVD. I have just tested with Interview with the Vampire. There are not first generation models.

13. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

For everyone who wants to have dts as the default track. Here is a list of things that you must have and do in order for this to work. If you cannot perform any of these functions, and don't have certain equipment THIS WON'T WORK!
    1. You must have a Sony dvd changer or single tray or any dvd player that has an automatic track setup feature. I noticed that Sony is the only one that I know that has this feature. Denon has a similar feature, but this only applies to Dolby Digital. First, you have to setup your Sony Dvd player to automatically search for the track with the most channels. The Sony manual specifically states,"The machine looks for the track with the most channels. So, the player looks for dts, (because of 1509 kb/s, then 754 kb/s) then it looks for Dolby Digital (because of 448, then 384), and last but not least any audio track that is PCM."
    2. Next, all you have to do is find out what where the movie is on the disc, and then program it to run. For instance, most movies on dvds are: Title 1. Program your Sony dvd player to run the movie and if you have completed these steps, that will help you have dts as a default track.
    *** Dvds are produced very differently***
    So, this may not work for all dts dvds!! ESPECIALLY the first batch of older dts dvds with the Dolby 2.0 track.
    If there are any further questions, please don't hesitate to email me.