I broke the first rule of speaker shopping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick-J, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

After having the heat fail in my appartment I decided to poke arround and look at AV equipment for a while while I waited for the temp to rise above 50 in my living room. I didn't bring any CDs or DVDs with me, just a quick tour around Best Buy and then back home.
    Well, you guessed it, I ended up in a demo room at New England Hi-Fi demoing Paradigm speakers. I listed to Monitor 20 and 40s as well as reference studio 20s and 40s. I think overall I liked the Studio 20s the best. Excellent sound stage, very clean sounding mids and highs, very respectable bass. Since now at this point I've already listened to a bunch of speakers with music I don't love and A movie I can't stand I decided to compound my bad habbits and drive 30 minutes to a different store and different listening conditions and audition a bunch of B&W 600 series speakers. The various 600s sounded very good, but I thought they were a bit behind the studio 20s in the highs. I'm strongly leaning towards these speakers, I might also audition Energy C-3s. The only real question mark in my mind are those Rocket RS 250s. I've heard a lot of comparisions between the 750s and other speakers, but has anyone ever done a head to head between the 20s and Rocket 250s? I haven't found one yet.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

but if someone did, what would it prove? they liked A over B? and if they did, was it really because A sounded better? maybe the horizontal dispersion patterns of A was different from B? Maybe the placement was better for A? Maybe the person was subconciously influenced by the appearance, the price, a myriad of reasons. to get an objective assessment of the speakers without the usual "Diana Krall sounded absolutely compelling" crap which tells you nothing, is not such an easy thing to do. we all got different tastes and we all got different rooms and for some, maybe a $100 swing is a not insubstantial influence. you might want to post what state you live in and perhaps there's someone in your area who'll extend a courtesy and invite you over for a listen. fwiw, the rockets seem to gather a fair amount of attention over at hometheatertalk so you might want to ask around there.

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

4. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Luke,

Your right, Monitor 3s and 5s. If anyone has the Rockets in Maine, I'd like to get a listen to them.

Patrick

5. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

Patrick-j,
    I am in NH and just got a set of 250's shipped in. I plan on doing a side by side comparison to Studio 20's and Boston Acoustics VR-M60's.

6. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Glenn,

I'll be Curious to hear your opinions. I'm going to try and Audition some Energys this week.

Patrick

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The first rule of speaker shopping is you do not talk about speaker shopping.[​IMG]

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

But you did'nt buy based on the first audition. Go back with music/movies you do enjoy and re-audition. When you find speakers that sound good consistantly over a few weeks, then you know what to buy.

9. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

"But you did'nt buy based on the first audition."

Exactly, I've learned enough from lurking on this excellent board not to make that mistake. Afterall, what do I care if it plays steely-dan well, I don't listen to the stuff. I think I'm going to freak the sales guy out with the mix of punk and opera I'm going to bring [​IMG]

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A salesman told me the difference between Music and HT speakers:

Music speakers are about accuracy. HT speakers are about impact.

Keep this in mind when doing your auditions. Turn off the subwoofers to try and eliminate them as a variable. But take note of how low the speakers go. My guess is the harder rock/punk music will sound better on whichever speaker goes lower. To eliminate this, ask the dealer to define the speakers as SMALL on the receiver which should prevent them from getting sound below about 80 hz. Now you can compare the 80 hz and above performance for both speakers.