I broke the first rule of HT!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

NEVER audition speakers that are more expensive than yours when you are broke!
    So yesterday I happened to be near my regular dealer so I went to visit him. I have Paradigm Monitor 7s as mains. I was very happy with them until I got the brilliant idea to hear what the big deal was with the studio line. Holy shit. And the only one I listened to was the Studio 20. I ABed it with the monitor 5 and while the latter onviously has more bass, the Studio 20s were so much clearer and smoother... I am not sure what "audiophile" words I should use to describe this. I guess I would say it was significanly better.
    I have had renewed love for music lately, got a real CD changer, trying to position my speakers correctly for best imaging etc... and now I feel I MUST have speakers from this line... ARRGHH!!!!
    I am broke now, but I can still dream...
    I am thinking studio 40, because I heard it was the "steal" of the studio line and it would be in my price range in the future. But I have been used to the fullness of towers vs bookshelves and I am not sure I can go back to the latter, despite the fact that my towers are currently crossed at 80Hz and the SVS takes it from there. I like towers because I believe they would assure a better blend with the sub. Has any one even done a similar move?
    Last, how much better is the studio 60?
    --
    Holadem

2. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

The 20's in the Reference Studio series are my favorites..
    But what do I know?? I got the Active 40's !!
    -- John
    ------------------

3. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I have had my Paradigm Ref. 20's for about two years now I have been very satisfied with them. I have them in front and for my surrounds along with the Studio CC and they all blend well together. I had Paradigm Titans before these and the Studios are much more detailed. I did buy an external 5 channel amp(Outlaw 750) and this helped significantly with getting all I can out of these fine speakers. I may get the Active 20 and move the fronts to center surrounds. Good luck.
    ------------------

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I forgot to mention that my receiver is an Onkyo 575x. Will this be able to power the 40's enough to make them sound better than my current mains? (monitor 7)
    --
    Holadem - I hate upgraditis!!!

6. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

Holadem,
    If you are considering the Studio 20/40's I would suggest you should also look at Diva Swan speakers (http://www.av123.com
    The guy I demo'd them at told me that someone else is selling his Studio/60 after listening to the Diva's [​IMG]
    Just a thought...

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Yeah, you broke the first rule of HT...
    DO NOT TALK ABOUT HT! (Oh wait... nevermind.)

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Wow... while I never heard them, they certainly look wicked!!! [​IMG] I have a thing for those B&W like tweeters! What is it called? "external tweeters?"
    --
    Holadem

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i agree! the B&W's with 'external tweeters' look magnificant.
    just for my personal speaker comparison, what's the going price on these Paradigm 20's and 40's? i know they're only available for retail sale [​IMG], but i wish i could get a list of prices on the Paradigm lines.
    thanks
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT