What's new

I bought The Musketeer, should I open it? (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen the Musketeer yet, don't really want to, but from the trailer the ending fight scene looks like a direct rip-off of the ending fight scene in Once Upon a Time in China. The fight choreographer for Musketeer was a stunt double in Once. It's an amazing fight sequence, but couldn't he come up with something new? Anybody seen both? How close are they?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I watched this last night and went back and forth. There were parts of it I really liked (ie. the DTS track) and parts I hated (ie. POOR editing & directing). I think I disliked Double Jeopardy more though.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Ross,

TOTAL ripoff of Once Upon a Time. I've got that one, and that was the first thing that popped in my head. "This looks really familiar. Where have I seen...oh...HEY...WTF?"

This was my first rental ever at Blockbuster, and I'm glad I rented it instead of buying it. I was bored.

I LOVED Disney's 3 Musketeers, and Man in the Iron Mask. Good swashbuckling movies are few and far between. This one didn't hold up at all in my opinion.

Seth

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Bad acting and storyline I can deal with if the action is good. My problem was I felt there was too much of an Asian influence on the fight sequences and especially the sword fights. They style didn't fit the period and seemed way out of play for me. This is what ultimately killed the believability and immersion factor.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
This doesnt look like even a rental for me. I loved Three Musketeers with Sutherland and Iron Mask with Dicaprio but this looks like tripe.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
It seems Mirimax has now aligned themselves with Universal versus their previous deal with Buena Vista distribution
Last I heard, Buena Vista owned (partially?) Miramax and nothing has changed there.

It's probably just a co-production where Universal has the home-video rights, the opposite of Shakespeare In Love - a co-production between Universal and Miramax but where Miramax released the DVD.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I watched it last night and have to say that I enjoyed it. Some of the stuff was pretty cool while there were parts that just left me flat. The acting was less that stellar at times and the film was a bit uneven, but at this time, I still have only ONE DVD that I regret buying in my collection and while The Musketeer isn't great...I don't regret buying it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I was going to start a thread on The Musketeer over in Movies but it really doesn't deserve two threads dedicated to it. I rented this the other day - it was one of those "what the heck" decisions. I wish I hadn't bothered. Yech! This movie is nothing more then a marketing ploy. "Hmmm, let's take a classic story, throw in a pretty-boy actor as the lead, hire a hot fight choreographer, and get Tim Roth to play the villain. He's good at that!" Didn't work. Roth looked bored out of his mind. Picking up a paycheck I suppose. The fight scenes didn't impress me, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't even finish watching it. :thumbsdown:

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody find the "fade to black" in chapter 11 funny? Right in the middle of an "exciting" scene it just fades out! I was rolling on the floor laughing. This movie was so bad it was funny!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Joey,

I wish I could share in your humor, I really do. But, this movie bored me stiff. It's been awhile since such a wantonly ambitious film has come wrapped in so little inspiration. Nothing redeeming about the film. Nothing. The video was poor (fine detail was atrocious) and the audio was only so-so and definitely sounded cooked. In short, only worth watching to say you've seen it.

Bruce

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I picked this one up and watched it last night. It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. However, Disney's The 3 Musketeers is still the best adaptaion.

John

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
It had some nice sets, and Tim Roth was good as usual... but that's about it. Not a horrible film, but not very polished either. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The Musketeer is a great movie to own...
...if you plan to start up your very own MST3K group! You could riff on this movie for hours! :laugh:

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Ron...
It seems that you and I have the same taste in movies. I quite enjoyed this one for what it is, a popcorn movie!
:D
Regards,
Stacey

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I actually saw this at the theater and rather enjoyed it. Its a pretty good popcorn film and Tim Roth is just awesome. But I probably wont get the disc.

Oscar

Second Unit
I am a heavily open minded person.
And DEFINETLY DIDN´T LIKE THIS MOVIE!.
I give it a :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
:angry: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
IMO, this one is a turd, no matter what way I tried to look at it, it always looked like a turd.

Stephen Rea was pathetic as Cardinal Richlieu, Tim Roth has defeinitely had better roles in his lifetime and the director never hit me with a sense of urgency.

Even when the Cardinals Guards were chasing after the Musketeers after the prison break...they were jogging after the coach. And one other question, when he is climbing the tower, wouldn't you have just cut his rope to let him drop? Not them, they go out after him...whatever.

I wanted to like it, I really did but couldn't bring myself to do so.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I tried watching it twice. I fell asleep both times. Great movie as an insomnia cure. :emoji_thumbsup:

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I had this on pre-order but cancelled it based on all the negative comments here.Then I was at a fair and a guy was selling dvds (legit copies). He had The Musketeer for $15 brand new, so I said what the heck and bought it. I just finished it and I'm glad I got it. I thought it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the fight seens. They reminded me of Xena.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks