I bought the Athena 5 point MKII set...looking for $300.00 Subwoofers now

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by sabryan, Oct 30, 2003.

1. sabryan

sabryan Extra

I got the set for $399.00 at Best Buy and apparently they are the only ones that carry them in the usa.

Very hard to find thoughts and reviews on this puppies.
    The were displayed next to the Kplish Quintent Home theater set also going for the same money, I went back and forh trying to figure out, which one to buy (Conditions to listens to speakers in a store are not adequate) and I decided to for the Athena's, they just sounded Bigger, Better and sharper.

I am not an expert on Sound, I just let my ear decide, they were for my Master Bedroom so they are kind of big, Kplish quintet size were the kind of size I was looking for.

They are connected to a Kenwood VR-6050 (ecost $99.00 shipped) receiver and I am yet not able to find the seetings that makes me happy.

I have connected my TV, DVD and Xbox (Xbox with Toslink)

When I go from DVD Mode to TV or xbox, I find myself adjusting the settings, as I find them not to be properly adjusted.

Speakers sound awesome, and because of that I found myself being more demanding on the sound quality output, I was very happy with a JVC 27" tv set which it had only one front speaker.

I am using my Subwoofer Onkyo SKW-210 from my Onkyo Home Theater setup Downstairs, and I just not getting the type of bass that I would be happy with.

So I am looking for and affordable Subwoofer, I was advised in another place to buy the matching Athena Subwoofer, which are Tuned to match the Athena's MKII, I just do not have $400.00 to spend.

By these Speaker awesome looking and Wall Brackets design it is just awesome and make a breeze to installed them.

If anyone here disagree with my opinions on these Speakers, I would like to hear it, maybe there is something better for the same money, I just do not know about sound and Home Theater setups, I still have 30 days to take then back.

2. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

3. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Debbie L said:

"Its highly regarded here at HTF and very well priced."

Highly regarded by me, anyway. I own one of the previous version of this sub. One of our DIY guys here said he couldn't build one as good as this for the money. ($125 plus shipping)

5. sabryan

sabryan Extra

Are these Dayton 10" SubWoofers compatible to any other brands?.

I am not knowledgeable of what makes a Subwoofer a good choice when buying it.

Between the Flaunce HTB's what are the difference between the SX-HTB and the AV-HTB?

And would choose the Fluance HTB's or the Athena MKII for Master bedroom Home theater setup?

yes, My wife and Kids spend lots of time in the bedroom, watching TV+ TIVO, Movies, Xbox, PS2...my master bedroom should be called Family Room.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

That would be me! [​IMG] Sabryan, don't worry about "compatibility". The Dayton sub is THE choice for quality sound on a budget, IMHO.

7. Troy S

Troy S Agent

Jack and Brian...Are these only available through mail order? I am just now getting into HT and this would be a perfect beginner sub for me I think. How is the bass? Are there many different models? Is there one that you would recommend for someone like me that likes strong bass for both music and movies?

I have been reading through the thread about the SVS subs and the music that people use with lots of bass...will Dayton's handle low and powerful bass like this?

Thanks for the help!

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Troy,

This sub is only available through Parts Express and it's dealers. I have not heard this latest model, but don't see any reason why it would be any less competent than the original. They also sell a small sealed 10" sub that comes in kit form that you have to assemble that I've heard great things about. It's a higher quality 10" driver so it costs about 3x as much as this little guy.

The Dayton is a great little sub with plenty of bass output for small to medium sized rooms. If you're wanting earthshaking, rap music bass there are better subs out there (but at a higher cost). But if you like tight, clean bass with good low end extension (not boomy rap music bass) then this is the sub for you.

I've not had a single person whom I've recommended this sub to tell me they were unsatisfied with the sound so I'm pretty confident you'll be pleased too. If not, simply ship it back to PE and get your money back.

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

The Partsexpress Dayton sub is a great deal at $124 + shipping, which should come out to around $150.

Just in case you're interested in the Vance Dickason Titanic sub that Brian mentioned above, it's $349 with free shipping: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15171&DID=7

Also, AV123 is having a sale on a 2.1 ELT system for $450: http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1525

The sub alone is $299. And the 2 bookshelves are $249/pair.

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=13

Hometheaterdirect also has some subs in your price range you might want to take a look at.

10. sabryan

sabryan Extra

I am still interested in what everyone thinks about the Athena series MKII series Speakers, is that a good deal for $400.00, or maybe I should have bought something else.

are the Fluance SX-HTB or AV-HTB a better deal?

PLease reply

11. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

sabryan asks:

"I am still interested in what everyone thinks about the Athena series MKII series Speakers, is that a good deal for $400.00, or maybe I should have bought something else."

If what you bought and set up sounds good to you, then you got a good deal. Might the other speakers you mentioned sound better? Possibly, possibly not. You could get the others and A/B them in your home. You might find something you like better or you might drive yourself crazy. The most likely scenerio is that you will find thengs you like and things you dislike about anything you listen to relative to anything else. Since even the very best and most expensive speakers designed involve some compromise, you aren't gonna find perfect ones.

so unless there is some glaring fault in the speakers you have, enjoy them until it's time to upgrade!

Don't worry. Everyone here wants to upgrade sooner or later.

12. sabryan

sabryan Extra

Are the Fluance (SX-HTB or AV-HTB)any better than the Kplish Quintet?

I was having that argument with a friend of mine who swears by Kplish.

13. Shawn N

Shawn N Agent

Sabryan,

How do you like these speakers? For HT or music?

14. sabryan

sabryan Extra

I am having problems making a decision, I like the Athena's, but when I go from HT mode to Music or Xbox digital mode, oe even different SP modes etc, they sound so different, sometimes really good and sometimes average.

What confuses me is that I have an Onkyo HT-S767C Home Theater downstairs, they come with Speakers SKS-HT510, and no matter what mode do I put it on, it always sounds really good, the reason why I do not get the same set of speakers, for the bedroom upstairs, it is because they are too big to conceal in a Master Bedroom application.

Speakers upstairs are connected to a Kenwood VR-6050 (ecost $99.00 shipped) receiver and I am yet not able to find the settings that makes me happy.

I took the subwoofer from Downstairs "Onkyo SKW-210" temporarily, to test it for a couple of days, and I am yet to enjoy any kind of "Bass" that I would say "Wow, tis is really good, Cletus"

I might end up returning these speakers after all, I am searching for a package within the $400.00 range, that is why I want to know about the Fluance HT.

My wife is going to kill me in my sleep....

15. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

sabryan, I am fairly certain that Best Buy only carries the PS-300 sub. I suggest you go back to BB and give it a listen. I am very happy with mine.

16. sabryan

sabryan Extra

Bump..arooo!

17. sabryan

sabryan Extra

I just wanted it to add to my post, my impressions on the Athena 5.1 MKII as of today.

As mentioned before, I am not a Sound guru, I am just a guy that sold his body to his wife, in order to get a HT.

I was not happy with the Athena MKII since I could not get the right settings for my receiver "Kenwood VR-6050".

It seemed that every mode I would try, would sound some unpleasant, that I would have to re-adjust the setting on the receiver every time I went fromMusic, Theater, or just regular TV, Iwas ready to return the receiver and speakers.

Well, all that has changed all of the sudden, the speakers have come to life and I am really having a hell of a time with my new speakers.

I was not aware that speakers have to be burnt-in (over 10 hours and up of play time) before the quality of the sound starts improving.

It has improved remarkably, and I am not longer interested in switching them for the Fluance SX-HTB.

I am leaning on getting the Sub-woofer from PartsExpress, it seems like a good match.

I was not aware either that there is an Avia DVD to calibrate the HT setup + the radio Shack SPL tool.

I got the Radio Shack tool, thinking that is all needed, but, that is not the case, and I found myself flat broke, I will not be able to calibrate my setup without the disk.

I do not understand why it is so hard to find information on this Athena MKII HT 5.1 setup, maybe is the price?
    or people get turned off because never heard of them.

I suggest people giving them a try, the Kplish Quintet were displayed at the store next to the Athena's, and by far the Athena's sounded better, then again my ears are not trained to make a sound judgement.

18. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I think there are quite a few Athena fans on this site, as well as AVS. Have you done a search for Athena?

I'm not crazy about the Klipsch they have at BB. I was more impressed with the new Yamaha speakers they have there (moreso than even the Athenas). BB's atmosphere does not lend to very favorable listening sessions, however [​IMG]