I bought my camera.. but not a Canon.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Darren Mortensen, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Last week I started a thread searching for input for a $250.00 digital camera. The Canon A70 seemed to be a hit for alot of the HTF readers here. So I went to WalMart with my wife as she had put a Kodak 2.1 megapixel on layaway. I told her we needed a better camera with more megapixels, such as the Canon as suggested.
    Well, the Canon A70 was on sale for the same amount as the new Kodak DX4530 with 5.0 Megapixels and 32MB internal memory plus expansion slot. So with the suggestion of the salesclerk we put the Kodak DX4530 along with the LoadingDock in layaway. The cost was about $289.00 plus $77.00 for the Docking Station. Did we do good? Is this a quality camera?

Here is a link to the camera specs and pictures.

http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.j...q-locale=en_US

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Darren,

It looks like a good camera (don't know it myself), and here's a rather positive review on Steve's Digicams site. Couldn't find many other reviews yet.
    Your price seems to be not too bad as well!

Cees

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I have a kodak 3 megapixel camera, and I have come to learn that other brands offer MUCH better picture quality. My next camera will be a nikon without a doubt.

edit: my suspicions were confirmed when I looked the sample pictures from Cees link, you can see the posterization in the blue sky which is also present on my camera.

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The Kodak cameras are certainly good buys but they don't have as good a lense as the Canon, Nikon, etc. If you're just going to be making 4X6 prints it will be OK. Enjoy!

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I think Kodak focuses on ease of use more than image quality with their current digital cameras.

Also, there is a rebate for a 128MB SD card with the purchase of a 6000-series camera and printer or camera dock.

Disclaimer: I work at Kodak but don't speak for Kodak.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Darren- I looked at that camera, but ended up going with the A70 simply because it does a lot better in lower light conditions. My previous digicam was a Canon 1.3 MP, and it gave horrible artifacts when used in less than full daylight, many times with the flash on. Read Steve's review and see if there are some people in the dpreview.com forums that have experience with this model.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

You get what you pay for.

*strokes Olympus Camedia digicam*

I still prefer an analogue-SLR (Canon AE1-P) camera for lens selection and picture quality though. I still use it to take all of my "professional" (hah) shots. A fine analogue will last you for the rest of your life. [​IMG]

Those new digital Canon Rebel SLR cameras certainly do look rather delectable though... that will probably be my next digital camera.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I hate to say it but the guys above are right in that the kodak won't have as good a lens and the canon. I've used four kodaks both at work and one's I've purchased in past and truthfully I've never been impressed with the picture quality esp. compared to my Canon or my buddies Nikon