What's new

I bought HTD Level III Speakers (1 Viewer)

tomCurran

Auditioning
Well after quietly reading thread after thread on this forum and the Avs forum I finally decided to take a chance on the Home Theater Direct (HTD) Level III "Combo Y" Tower Speaker setup. I was a little bit worried about this since I'd not seen or heard the speakers before ordering, however I was reassured by the 30 day return policy (with even return shipping at their expense), plus the mostly positive reviews of those who'd purchased them.

I ordered them last Thursday night. HTD had them shipped before COB the next day. They arrived by UPS late Tuesday. I had them wired and running on my new Pioneer 1014 the next day. I am very happy. The speakers sound very clear, smooth, and distortion free. I find the sound very easy on my ears. I don't have to strain to hear, there is no annoying booming sound from the bass, the treble is clean, but not "bright".
Cosmetically, the speakers look great. We bought the Dark Cherry Wood ones.

I'd heard the subs were the weak link in the system. I can see why people would say that. The sub gives a very clear bass without booming but doesn't cover those last few HZ at the lowest end of the spectrum (20-28HZ). I once heard a Carver Sunfire that did reproduce those last few Hz. I haven't heard the HSU or SWS subs, but I imagine they are also a little better. However, all these subs cost more--in some cases a lot more. For what I paid, the sub sounds very, very good. To me it sounds better than any subs I've auditioned at BB or Circuit City. BTW, the Sub does have binding posts just like the other speakers now. I read a review somewhere that talked about clip connections for the subs. They obviously have upgraded those connections since that review came out.

I have never heard Rocket, Axiom, or Ascend speakers so I can't compare the HTDs to them. I think you will pay more for each of them unless you can catch them on sale. All I can say, is that for $1,000 I think it will be difficult to find any systems any better. Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Tu Pham

Auditioning
I have the Level 3 towers for about a year and a half now. They are very nice considering their modest price. I went with the Level 3 bookshelves as well for surrounds. I chose a Jbl center instead of HTD, though. Enjoy your new speakers.

tomCurran

Auditioning
Quote:
"Without listening to the others you'll never know."

Oh, I agree. I was trying to be very careful to say I had no idea how they compared to the other mail order brands. It is really hard to find anyone who has heard all these systems under the same conditions and can definitively say which is the "best" (Have you?). Even then I imagine it would be that person's particular listening preferences and that another person might have chose differently.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I apologize. I've been up most of the night with a cranky baby and am feeling a little surly. I shouldn't have posted anything to take away from you pleasure of your new speakers. Congrats on your new system.

I've heard HTD level IVs, Rocket 250s and ELTcse, Axiom M22, and Ascend Acoustics 170s and 200s. All heard at the same audio gathering with the same front end used with all of the above.

tomCurran

Auditioning
No problem, Chris. I had a colic baby just a couple of short years ago, myself. My wife and lived about 9 months with very little sleep. One of the reasons I had to delay upgrading my audio system.

I did read about the get together in Austin, Texas last October. I just rechecked it and realized you were one of the participants. I'm envious. What was disappointing to me about that get together is that none of you posted reviews (except one person) giving your opinions of how all the systems sounded compared to each other. I suppose I can understand that however, since it is a rather subjective thing, plus it would be difficult for the various vendors not to favor their own products.

I personally suspect that all of the brands are excellent with some doing better at particular aspects of reproduction than others.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"I have never heard Rocket, Axiom, or Ascend speakers so I can't compare the HTDs to them. I think you will pay more for each of them unless you can catch them on sale."

Rockets can be had on sale if someone is patient. Not much chance of seeing a sale at Ascend. Different business model. I don't follow Axiom so I don't know if "sales" are part of their stategy. I don't believe they are.

David

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Unlikely to see a sale on Axiom. The US dollar has lost a lot of value against the Canadian dollar in the past year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks