What's new

I bought Galaxy Quest DTS...guess what? No DTS Track!! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
This is interesting. I bought a new copy of Galaxy Quest at Hastings- it was the DTS version. However, the disc does NOT have a DTS track- only 3 tracks are available: 5.1, 2.0 and Themian 2.0. But it says DTS all over the box.

What should I do here? Is this a known problem?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
There were two versions of this produced, one with dolby digital 5.1, and the other dts 5.1.

It sounds like your copy has the dts box, but includes a copy of the dolby digital release.

I would simply exchange it, techincally the box did not include the movie advertised. If the next copy you get is the same, perhaps they can give you a cash refund and you can purchase it elsewhere.

On another note, I have never heard the dts version, though I have the dolby digital and it sounds fantastic. You may have to decide how much trouble this is worth.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
That was the last copy I grabbed...in fact, it was there for quite some time before I buckled down and bought it. Figures I get one thats mispackaged :thumbsdown:

Ill have to watch the movie again and see if the DD is up to par...but still, I did pay for DTS, and Im bummed I didnt get it. :frowning:

Thanks for your help!

David Galindo

Screenwriter
So what did you do, Michael? I found out Hastings has no more GQ copies, and returning opened DVDs there is NOT a pleasent experience...

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Same thing happened to me when I ordered it from Amazon. Box said DTS, disc was Dolby Digital version. They sent me another copy and luckily it was the correct disc. Strange that this has happened to several people.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well I bought it at a Tower Records over a year ago. They basically had no idea what I was talking about and had no additional copies in stock. I was told that they really couldn't give me a refund because there was really nothing wrong. I did not feel like fighting with these guys so I just booked.

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
I got this film when it first came out. I also got the DD version in a DTS box. My copy came from Amazon.com.

I couldn't be bothered to return it and kept it.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If I were in that situation, I would ask them to put the thing in a DVD player and show me where this DTS track is.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Odd. I JUST ordered this from DeepDiscount after catching a little of it on TV. Hope I don't get a DTS version because I have a DD setup.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Man, I didnt realize this was a regular occurance.

I took it back today, the employees looked at me like I was crazy. They told me to come back tomorrow for a supervisor...wish me luck!

Mario V

Auditioning
This title must be cursed. I bought the DD version back when it came out (since I didn't have a DTS receiver yet), and DVDEmpire sent me the DTS one. They agreed to exchange it, of course, but they made me pay for the shipping - all the way from Europe! :angry: :thumbsdown:

If I had known there was this big a chance to get a DD disc in that case I wouldn't have bothered to send it back. :rolleyes

I agree that the DD track rocks. If the DTS is even better, you're in for a treat. And I love the movie! :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
These are new copies folks are ordering?

I tried ordering the DTS version used on Amazon and even after SEVERAL emails confirming with the seller that it was the "DTS" version...they sent me the DD version. After the fact they realized what I had been talking about and that they had made an error and refunded my purchase and let me keep the disc...but I still would love to get the DTS version.

Those who have compared...is the audio noticeably improved?

-dave :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I seem to recall that back when this title was first released some of the reviewers stated that in a side by side comparison of this particular film the DD & DTS tracks were conspicuously similar to each other, something along the lines of Big Trouble In Little China's tracks.
I can't confirm this as I only have the DD version (and am quite happy with it BTW) but I do recall quite a few people saying this years ago.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have both, and the sonic difference between them is very small. Quite surprising considering the DTS is 1509kbps, and from DreamWorks who used to consistently tweak their DTS tracks back in the early days.

Adam

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Boy I am proud of you folks, for once a thread regarding Dolby Digital & DTS didn't deteriorate into yet another "Dolby vs. DTS" argument......(sniff).....proud I tell ya......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks