What's new

I bought another MK-150THX subwoofer (1 Viewer)

The domestic tranquility of my home was shattered today. I wonder if you heard the acrimony. If you didn’t, allow me to tell you about myself and my wife.

We have been married, many, many, many years. Most of them have been comfortable and pleasant. However, there is one issue that seems to create disharmony for weeks at a time. It concerns the expanding universe of our home theater.

Before home theater, we watched TV on a set that approached 20.” We then bought a large 32” size set. When I brought it home, my wife said that, “it ruined” the look of our living room. This initial discomfort soon passed and we both enjoyed looking at a larger screen.

A few years later, I replaced the 32” TV with a huge 50” Hitachi. I moved it in while my wife was at work. The moment she entered our living room she went ballistic! I honestly believe that people in our neighboring state could hear her cries of despair.

But as happens most often with the passage of time, my wife began to thrill with the movie-like images we were able to view in “our own home.”

A little later, I took the big plunge and began to build a home theater. I bought an AV receiver, five speakers and a subwoofer and then connected everything with about 10,000 or so cables and wires.

Needless to say, my wife almost had a heart attack. She screamed how I was making our living room into either a TV studio or the bar. This tirade lasted for many, many, many weeks.

But, as had happened in the past, the wonderful rich images and sound of movies and music passing through our home theater equipment soothed my wife’s angst. Thus, for the next few years we thoroughly enjoyed our home theater system.

Since then, I have upgraded at least twice all of the devices that comprise my home theater system. Since no visible changes with regard to size and location were evident, our peaceful home front was devoid of contention.

That is until today. Earlier this month I got the itch again. I began to search for a new subwoofer. Today, I replaced my modestly-sized subwoofer with a REAL subwoofer. A REAL BIG subwoofer.

It was delivered this morning while my wife was visiting a neighbor. When she came home, she failed to go into the living room. Late this afternoon she did. This is why I asked in the beginning of this post if you heard her.

When she walked into our living room and saw the subwoofer, she turned white and in a brittle voice asked, “What is that black refrigerator doing in our living room sticking up behind the chair?” Now honestly, it doesn’t look like a refrigerator . . . maybe a wine cooler but certainly not a refrigerator.

I fully expect that my wife will question me about this for many moons to come. That is, until that time in the future when she will find that music and movies are simply not enjoyable unless every wall in our house vibrates with the resonance of a truly fine subwoofer.

Regards to all.

Joey_V

Second Unit
great great story! the difference between your wife and my girlfriend is that my girlfriend does not "notice" the difference between tv speakers and my axiom set. booo.... :angry:

Richard_M

Second Unit
Maurice

Great story, I have been down this road for nearly 30 years, and the other twist when I mention that it is fantastic, I get reminded that was what I said the last time :D

The other snap of the tail occurs if I have sold one of the apparatus and sold it too cheap (In her opinion):angry:

So Maurice you are not alone in this venture :D

We should have a show and tell of what excuses or story we use to get past this hump...

I remember once when I bought a new amp, I left it in the box in the middle of the lounge floor.

Question whats that???
Answer Errr new amp..
Question How much???
Answer $1000.00
Reply ##>

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Maurice,

Thanks for the stories of your various upgrades. I wish there was a better approach to the introduction and upgrades of various components for "us males." However, the only thing I can put out there is that we only have one life in this lifetime. We better make the best of it ... with good HT gear. :D :D

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I can most definitely relate to all of these stories.

I had been living in my own place for 2 1/2 years. I got engaged and we started to build a house together. Well I had all of my HT gear already set up in my place, except the 53" panny, and she loved coming over to watch the movies etc... Well the time got closer to when we were to move into our new house. And the complaints started to roll in.

"When we move in to our new I do not want all of these wires showing everywhere"

I just ignored her. We finally moved in and I waited to set up my HT gear till she was gone one day. This way I didn't have to listen to all the complaining at least while I was setting it up. I had to go out and buy a new rack, speaker stands etc... She came home and bam, it all rained down out of her mouth. But she got used to it and like those above said, time heals all wounds. Then a few weeks go by and I order my 53" panny. I have it delivered and set it up with her at work and just like before, she freaked when she got home. Well today I can say that she said that she has gotten used to the tv and everything else and actually likes everything. I did learn to hide the wires a bit better to make her a little happier.

I think women just will never understand this need for Home Theater.

Oh yea, I am getting married to her this Saturday. Two days and counting.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you run into the "why do you have all these remotes", then get a universal remote. It's the best $100-$400(for a good one) that you will spend if you wife or family doesn't like to go fiddling around with them.
I have experience with that sub. It really isn't that big.

If you want BIG, then show her a picture of a PB2+ or Ultra from SVS. THOSE are huge but then again its something you have to have if you want powerful bass. Honestly the M&K subs are not that big at all. Even the 5000THX isn't that big.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

The Axiom's sound that bad?:p)

Have to agree with Shame- M&K MX-range is not that big; pretty small really, after owning a big ported sub ;-). And the ikkle sealed 10" just look like shoeboxes! :D

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
LMAO! :D Great story! Well-written...a bit of satyrical prose to brighten my day. Thanks, and good luck w/The Bellowing Beauty. ;)

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I just tell my wife that I do all of this so that my child can experience Finding Nemo in all of it's cinematic glory.

Joey_V

Second Unit

LOL... she says they sound good, but she still doesnt understand what's the big hoopla when tv's already have speakers built-in.

gah!!! lets see what she thinks once the SVS gets here. :D

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Before you bring home the SVS, get a big Sonotube section, paint it black, and tell her you're keeping it for a coworker. Then mysteriously one day a SVS appears in its place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks