I bought a ps2 after seeing sega sports tennis...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Oct 6, 2002.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of gettng xbox or ps2 casually, then I walked into best buy looking for dvd movies and came across this sega sports tennis, it caught my eye so I went over and watched some kids play.
    When I got a chance I started playing it and thought, "man, I need to get this", so I ended up buying the game and then the ps2 system. I'm used to playing pc games only, so I didn't give much extra thought into wondering if I made the right choice not getting an xbox, becuase I have and hdtv and wanted to take advantage of using it. I guess it took one game I liked from ps2 to make the plunge, so I've got a ps2 now.

John

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

John, if that's the only game you want, you could save around $150+ by getting basically the same version on Dreamcast. Just an FYI.

3. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

If I'm not mistaken, the Sega Tennis series is Xbox bound also, and hopefully with Xbox Live capabilities built-in.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Tennis was one of my favorite games on Dreamcast, I would very much like to have an XBox version. I wonder why Sega Sports went multi platform with their other titles but made this one just for PS2.....

5. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Could you imagine if you got just a couple of glitches of lag during a tennis match? I don't see that one making a good online game for taht reason alone.

6. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

If you're enjoying the game, you probably didn't make a bad decision.

As far as HDTV support, there are a few PlayStation2 games trickling out in 480p (Sega Sports Tennis is not one of them.) I suspect more are coming. 480p is a defacto standard for Xbox, and a few Xbox games are supporting 720p now. But unless you have a display that can show 720p or convert it to 1080i, you won't be able to take advantage of that. For this generation of console hardware, I'm afraid we won't see much more than 480p out there for any console.

There are plenty of great games for PlayStation2 out there, particularly in the sports category. There are, of course, plenty of great Xbox games, too. But since you seem to be a casual console gamer, and one mostly interested in one particular title, I would think the PS2 would do well for now.

7. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'm not big into console gaming, so that's why I chose the ps2. I did pick up knockout kings 2002 late last night at wal mart, but haven't played it yet. Plus there's some people at work who will let me try games out and all of them have ps2, so it will work out for me, gamewise.

Also my hdtv is 55"mitsubishi which upconverts 720p to 1080i. And my last true console game was, atari 2600. After that I got into only pc gaming,ex. commodore 64, 386,486,pentium 100, 133, pentium III 500, and now a P4 2.26ghz screamer!
    John

8. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

John,

Make sure you pick up Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for the PS2 at the end of the month. Grand Theft Auto 3 is arguably one of the best games for the PS2, and Vice City looks to top it with its Scarface influence.

Another game I reccommend for the PS2 would be Silent Hill 2.

-Dean-

9. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

11. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Dialup I can see, but peer-to-peer broadband should have no problem with singles or even doubles I would guess.

12. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dean, nope, was stripped by the creative team, who said that 56K was just too laggy

14. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

15. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

I play mostly 2D fighters on my DC because they are just sooo fun...

PS2 is a good choice. Not the "best" in terms of graphics, but the number of games released for this system just about outdoes any other console. And it has a HUGE Playstation 1 library that it can play as well.

Some recommendations for PS2

1. Silent Hill (PS1) and Silent Hill 2(PS2)
    2. Gran Turismo 3: ASpec - the definitive simulation series (PS2)
    3. Final Fantasy X - the latest in a long series of outstanding games by Squaresoft (PS2)
    4. SSX Tricky (PS2) - Great snowboarding game.
    5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 - the third in the series with more moves and more tricks.
    6. Grand Theft Auto - Great game that well, redefined the M video game. Play it. Experience it. Then get Vice City.

Try these....

16. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So