What's new

I bought a 12inch Klipsch and I am unimpressed (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Currently, I have the sub that came with a Onkyo HTIB. 150 Watts/ 8inch. For the money, it sounds great to me. But I know that there is more out there. So, I went to Best Buy and ahhhh "rented" a sub for a few weeks. It was a sealed Klipsch, 12 inch, 250 watt I think. I expected a big difference. What I got was a little different, but not much. Any ideas why I hardly noticed anything? Maybe I am just to simple to notice much. I was thinking about getting the SVS-PB10 (the 20-39 is what I want, but that sub would cost me the house, custody of my children and force me to spend time with a lawyer). But if it isn't going to make that much of a difference to me, I won't bother.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

It's worth it and you will be able to tell the difference big time. No comparison really.

Things get a little shaky around here now and then, but the calm is always around the corner. Go for it and tell us what you think and if it was worth it or not? Rah! Rah! Rah!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Klipsch doesn't make good subs IMO until you get to the RSW series.

Something like the SVS PB10 will get you into the performance category of the RSW series...you can't go wrong as long as you can accomodate the slightly larger enclosure.

Here is another deal for just $100 more:
http://www.stryke.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231

Much better looking...able to go lower and louder. John is a great guy to work with as well.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Most Klipsch lovers, love their speakers but use different subs like SVS.... Usually if you like bright speakers you love loud and kicking bass as well. Even if you don't like bright speakers lot's of folks like kicking tacticle feeling bass too though come to think of it!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first thing to look at might be your placement and setup of the sub itself. I would expect any half decent 12" sub to walk all over your 8" HTiB one. Proper setup can make a huge difference with a sub. Having said that, a PB-10 will likely still make a more noticable difference. Mine still gives me silly grins :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Daniel:

I heard the PB10 out in LA last year in a demo room we had set up and it kicked out some serious bass. I would pick up the phone, order one and if you don't like it they have a very generous return policy.

What really kicks ass about SVS though is their service after the sale. They are not afraid to work with people to get just what they want. They are about a serious as you can get to getting it right when it comes to bass that kicks butt.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I just picked up a PB10, too.....in large part due to what both Parker and John Garcia said about it. They were both right....it's an amazing sub. I'm actually used to larger SVSs, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this 'entry level' one......but I'm smiling as much as John is, I'm sure.

Whenever I find a scene in a film that I feel really shows off my system I call my brother over to demo it for him. Just after I set up my PB10 and got it calibrated, I watched Gladiator again. There is a scene in the very beginning when there are large wooden catapults that launch fireballs onto the heads of the enemy. When the wood parts strike together, the bass impact is just awesome. Along with my Magnepan speakers, the realism of the battle scene combined with the visceral impact of the low end (coutesy of SVS) made for one hell of a viewing experience.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Before you return the Klipsch, I'd make sure you had it calibrated correctly. Might as well compare apples to apples. If the sub is indeed underperforming, it will make you appreciate the difference between your HTiB sub, the klipsch and whatever you decide to buy that much more.

david*mt

Second Unit
I have been thinking of picking up the PB10 to replace my HTIB sub as well. You cannot adjust the crossover frequency on my Yamaha HTR-5560, however. Is that important with the SVS?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
David, that depends on your setup. If you are using the Yammie's pre-out for a sub currently (with most or all other speakers set to small), then it wouldn't really be any different with the PB-10.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John’s right, even a mediocre 12” sub like that should trample an 8-incher from a HTIB. I’m going to hazard a guess that you have it in a poor location. Try a corner and it should come alive.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks