What's new

I believe this is a first for this show...Mister Rogers' Neighborhood coming to DVD on 3/27/2018 (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The thing is, most of the people who buy this set are adult collectors that watched the show when they were kids. As an adult collector, I want the openings and closings intact.

Of course, children won't care about the openings and closings but today's children probably wont watch this DVD anyways.

Actually, not much is cut at the beginning. Just up through the title of the show. It always reverts to the specific episode in question by the time Mr. Rogers starts singing.

Still, a pretty stupid mistake.

Also, as one of those adult collectors, I would have preferred more episodes from the era when I actually watched the show (roughly the first few years) rather than all these 1980s/1990s/2000s shows. But I understand at this point, a lot of people remember those. But I never would have seen them when I watched the show as a kid.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The thing is, most of the people who buy this set are adult collectors that watched the show when they were kids. As an adult collector, I want the openings and closings intact.

Of course, children won't care about the openings and closings but today's children probably wont watch this DVD anyways.

While I agree with what you're saying, Trent...I disagree with one thought (about kids not caring about the openings/closings). One of the great things about this show was the repetition of the mundane soothing details--walking onto the set, zippering the cardigan, tying the shoes, etc. The opening through the toy neighborhood is not unimportant.

But, full disclosure, I have yet to watch any of the other episodes (outside #1001) on the set yet.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
True BUT does that still apply to the kids of today? Seems like all the kids I know fast forward through opening credits and the repetitive stuff. Their attention spans are shot.

By the way, do I know you from another board or did you see my name on this site somewhere. I'm trying to figure out how you knew my name lol.
While I agree with what you're saying, Trent...I disagree with one thought (about kids not caring about the openings/closings). One of the great things about this show was the repetition of the mundane soothing details--walking onto the set, zippering the cardigan, tying the shoes, etc. The opening through the toy neighborhood is not unimportant.

But, full disclosure, I have yet to watch any of the other episodes (outside #1001) on the set yet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I bought the set despite the error, it'll be cool to have both versions. Hoping they'll put out more of the older shows in the future.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Excellent news! Congrats to PBS for doing things as they should be done.

Mister Rogers would approve! :)

I took care of mine yesterday as I had to go to several Target stores just to track the original set down and I found one final copy near me for $16 and change and then followed the instructions to get the replacement disc needed and they e-mailed me to verify they got the proof of everything and now just waiting for it to get here to the house to then give to my friend, who still loves the show.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The content is excellent on these discs. These are wonderful shows and their message resonates with me still. Video quality is strong.

The technical aspects leave something to be desired though. Another issue I've noticed is that the subtitle placements are sometimes so far to the edge of the screen that the words are cut off.

And, yes, please issue a vol 2 with earlier episodes. Vol 3 and thereafter can be complete seasons. From 1976 - 2001 most seasons were 15 episodes presented as theme weeks. The bulk of the episodes were from the '68 - '74 run which were 65 episodes per season.

I would buy each and every one and share them with the young people in my life to ensure the Neighborhood legacy continues.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got word that I was being sent a corrected set free of charge, and I intended to keep them both so I thought I should start on watching the "faulty" one that I have, and the far more serious problem with it is that ALL of the shows are at the wrong frame rate, just as Time-Life screwed up all of Laugh-In! They ALL look jittery, even the later shows made around the year 2000. I watched the first two and it was pretty painful- the doors and such on the main set often become squiggly as the camera pans across them!

This is becoming an epidemic! Have people watched so much low-quality online video that they don't know what proper video looks like anymore? Meanwhile I'm currently unemployed- I guarantee that anyone who hires me to do quality control for them would never in a billion years have something like this slip by!

(The authoring on this is pretty silly also- the openings and closings from all of the shows are gone, replaced with a fade-in and fade-out. Part of the original color opening with the NET logo is a separate title that plays first if you hit Play All or select an individual show. The ending credits which are still different for each show are on each disc twice: as individual titles, with fade-ups at the beginning, that play after an individual show is selected, or all of them edited together with dissolves as one title that plays after the last show if Play All is selected.)

Does anyone have the Amazon set of the early shows and can say that they're at the proper frame rate and hopefully complete?

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I heard those replacement discs should be coming in from PBS either next week or for sure the week after, for those that went through the trouble of letting PBS know about the faulty discs in the original set.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
UPDATE: Jut received a package from PBS Distribution and i was shocked to find out they didn't send me just a replacement disc, but they ended up sending me a whole new DVD set that has the replacement disc included as I was only expecting a disc from them, but they truly came through but just watch for your mail as I got mine today (5/10/018)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Got mine today, and unbelievably the frame rate is STILL messed up, even on the 'corrected' bonus episode! If I didn't have this weird thing about keeping every piece of media, I'd throw both of these sets in the trash.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In other Mister Rogers news, here's the trailer to that documentary coming up in June (this looks fantastic!):

download-white.png

Peg and I went and saw this tonight in the theater.

ANYONE who is a fan of Fred Rogers and watched his show as a child or parent should go see this documentary. I can't recommend it highly enough. Lots of interviews with Fred, his wife, kids, co-workers, etc. Great insight into the man and what drove him and what defined his vision. It was deep, moving, funny and educational.

be-my-neighbor.jpg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I did see the hour long PBS retrospective hosted by Michael Keaton that was shown a few months ago and I was disappointed that they did not talk about his private life and early years. I wanted to know more about him and how he got started on tv.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed that they did not talk about his private life and early years.

I thought there was actually precious little in Won't You Be My Neighbor? about Fred's life as a young man and boy.

In the final third of the film there is a quick reveal that Fred was a fat child and that that may have had something to do with his driven message to kids that they are each special and each loved. But it was passed over quickly and without very much consideration. Most of the film focuses on Fred's career in television...from a local channel in Pittsburgh to his retirement from PBS an latter projects.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
So...given the success of the movie, any rumblings about a possible second volume, particularly earlier (pre-1979) episodes?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks