I believe in Maggies! (except for my kind of music)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Feb 23, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Last week I heard some Magnepans(M 1.6) hooked up to Meridian CD Player, pre amp and power amp. Listened to the one disc I had (Madonnas Ray Of Light) and the detail I heard was nothing short of stunning.

I thought about them all week and yesterday returned with some typical discs that I like to listen to. These Maggies almost made me rethink my speaker/amp plans for I was considering putting together a seperate 2 channel system.

Unfortenetly, as great as they sounded, the style of music I listen to they didn't quite sound right. Is there such thing as too much detail? I know they're not a Friday night speaker but they just didn't have the "oomphh" I wanted, even when paired with a Ruark subwoofer. The Cds I was demoed by my retailer all sounded phenomenal with depth I never knew even existed but alas, just not my style. My Julie Miller discs sounded quite good(I use her Blue Pony disc as my reference), I even heard some recording anomilies I never knew were there. But when I put in some 80s and typical rock I was a little dissapointed.

I know these are geared for certain types of music and a good recording is a absolute must have. Its really too bad for I think these are some of the most attractive speakers around. The Ribbon tweeters are THE nicest sounding I have ever heard.

Instead I'll just expand on my Mirage bipolar speakers like I have been planning. I'm satisfied that I made a good choice with my current speakers considering the style of music I listen to, because this is what the chief designer of Mirage wanted. Instead of a dipole like the maggies they are a bipole, but with a little more juice. They don't have that kind of detail but do sound better for my musical tastes.

One day years down the road when my musical tastes change I'll look into these again. Matched with the Meridean equipment they're hard to beat. And maybe by then the Meridian hardware won't be so damn expensive...

2. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Glad you like the Maggies, even though it might not suit your style.

What you heard were not real ribbon tweeters. If you want real highs, listen to the MG-3.6R, which contains real ribbons and more extended bass. That might expose every piece of weak component upstream. Too much detail means different things to different recording. A bad recording becomes unlistenable and a good recording becomes ever so real in its reproduction.

A note about maggie bass. People used to punchy boxy bass from dynamic woofers are frequently disatisfied with the maggie bass, which are more natural, loads the room differently, but lacks the sock'em in the chest slam. Even if you parallel up 10 bass panels from the Tympani speakers, it would not knock you off your feet with its bass. If you want that slam, cross the maggies to a sub at a relatively high crossover freq.

A note about the Meridian processor, there is a Trifield music mode which seems to complement the maggies very well. Magnepan has expansive soundstage at a cost of slight lack of focus in its imaging. With the Trifield mode, the imaging snaps into focus, L-R soundstage becomes wider and more linear. I don't think your setup had this capability, unless you were listening to a Meridian pre/proc, along with having a Magnepan center channel speaker.

3. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator