I appologize for contributing the the gross of Slackers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Sweet Lord, that was the single worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a complementary set of cyanide pills...[​IMG]

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

So...you didn't like it? [​IMG]

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

You can now say you have something in common with Roger Ebert - he gave the movie a zero out of five![​IMG]

4. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Well, if anyone asks what happened to Jason Schwartzmann's career, we can just point to this film.

Unfourtantely we can't say the same for Devon Sawa. We'll never get rid of him.

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    A whopping 7% on the ol' RottenTomatoes.com tomatometer. Between this and Kung Pow (which is still at a low of 4%) I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Freddy Got Fingered (which at least managed 10%) was a masterpiece after all.

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Typical JAN/FEB release crap (not including Oscar films going wide release).
    Are we surprised?
    Play it safe and see Brotherhood of the Wolf instead of this type of schlock.
    Don't look now but the ruined version of Rollerball will be out soon too, please don't help it's gross. [​IMG]

7. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Or better yet, go and see The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring...again and again and again and again and...
    [​IMG]

8. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

SCREENIT! gave it a 0 out of 10!

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Yea, but the twins are fine.

10. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Awww C'mon it wasn't that bad.... right?
    right?.......
    Crickets chirping
    I didn't think it was that bad. Judging from crowd reaction they seemed to like it. Even got some applause. ??

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Except for some middle schoolers in the front, no one was laughing at my theater...they were yelling though. I checked rottentomateos before I went, and it made me exited to go see it. I was hoping that it would be like a Battlefield Earth movie, where it's so bad that you die laughing, but it wasn't...it was just awful. It was like no one involved knew anything about movies. It was just plain stupid. Right in the middle (just about the time that I was beating my head on the railing next to me) my friend turned to me and said..."This is going to kill the career of anyone that touched this film" ...I coulnd't agree with him more.

12. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

13. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Paul,
    That is some nice Transformer artwork!!
    I take it that a new comic series is beginning soon??!?!!
    If, so is it Pre-Transformers The Movie? Will they say the word shit in it [​IMG]

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

This film sucked (and the film only got five laughs from me tops). The film was beyond god awful. I want my $5.25 back. I snuck into it with a bunch of friends by buying a ticket to LOTR and I should've saw that again instead of going to see this piece of shit. Dewon Sawa doesn't deserve to act again and I'm sorry for the other actors who had to be apart of this tragedy. No wonder it was delayed for over a year. I'm just thanking god it wasn't as bad as Imposter.
    It's also sad when the film's best joke deals with a guy making his penis sing.
    [​IMG]½ out of [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Oh yes, I forgot to add: The theater I saw this on put it on one of their biggest screens. I went to a 3:35pm show, in a 400+ seat theater, only around 35 people were there and none were laughing.

15. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

By no means am I defending it. I'm duly harsh in my review, but I really didn't detest Slackers. Schwartzman made me laugh some, and I thought James King gave a nice performance for this kind of film. I certainly wouldn't put it in the Scary Movie 2 crowd.

And it's a lot funnier than Kung Pow!.

16. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The first 20 - 30 minutes was actually funny, as there were lots of silly skits (as in when Sawa imagines what they do to celebrate). It was just plain stupid fun. In fact, I think that if you want to leave the theater to enjoy the movie, to walk right out after the half hour...

However, you'd better close your eyes and plug your ears, because after that it gets incredibly disgusting and makes you wish you had of stayed home and slept.

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I agree with Mike that the first third of Slackers offers some semi-promising gags. After the 30 minute mark, it all comes crashing down and the result is one wretched flick. (My review is available through the link below if you REALLY care what I think! [​IMG] )

18. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

There was a profile of Jason Schwartzman in EW this week. The tone of the piece was nothing if not standoffish. Just from reading the interview, I knew this would be a colossal, world-class POS.

(I'd insert a "world-class POS" smilie if I could find one.)

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I agree that the first 30 minutes was better than the rest...but by no means was it promising. It was just awful, and when I thought it wasn't possible to get more awful, ...IT DID! It blew me away with its awful-ness.

Hehe...I'm going to be b*tching about this one for a while...hehe.

20. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

The funniest joke in the whole movie comes in the form of an outtake at the very end of the credits (after the Sound format logos). Come to think of it it's in the same place as the gag in Jay and Silent Bob. Some theaters may cut it off, if that's the case make sure you complain as it is by far the best gag in this otherwise terribly unfunny film.