What's new

I am upgrading my JBL HT system and need some pointers. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Basically I really want to upgrade to some Towers. My setup right now is

Vr-507

Toshiba sd-1700

JBL N26

JBL N24

JBL NCenter

Sony Sawm-40

Phillips/Magnavox 27"

I was looking into the N38's and Nd310's. I have found the N38's for $120 each shipped and the 310's for $180 each. How do these speakers compare to what i have?

I was either thinking of selling the N26's and keeping the N24's for surround or selling the N24's and moving the N26's to the rear.

Please help me out. Any info would be great. Maybe i dont even need to upgrade since i bought everything in Dec/Jan 2002

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... N38's and Nd310's... How do these speakers compare to what i have?
Since you have a Sony Sawm40 sub, from your AV Receivers x-over on up to 20 kHz, the sound should be timbre-matched and about the same.
My experience (and MO) is that floorstanding speakers front baffle area will contribute to limiting some of the imaging that a smaller point source satellite / bookshelf baffle speaker excels. Also Tom Nousaine (Sound&Vision contributer) has noted that there is common typical floor bounce, in the 300Hz area (revealed as a dip / depression in the speaker graph) common to floorstandings because of the speaker cabinet coupling with the floor. I've heard this floor bounce w/some floorstanding speaker demo's (some are better than others usually costing more though), in the midrange area as a somewhat distant voice or instrument compared to my satellite / bookshelf - which IMHO was not a desirable trait for my listening / playback tastes!
Many @ HTF here love floorstanding speakers, and I can't really argue the cool looking factor that these super looking speakers create in your HT room! But, if your reason to upgrade is to improve the sound, ... then my recommendation would be to save another $369 + S/H ($180+369=$549) and purchase the SVS 25-31PCi! Now that investment will audibly blow you away w/sub-sonic impact, blending in seamlessly up to your crystal clear highs (after REF Calibrating of course) - literally!!! :D
Phil

David King

Stunt Coordinator
Not to disagree with Phil who gets JBL its proper respect here on the forum, but if you need to upgrade, the N38s are awesome and blend very very well with the sony WM40 once tweaked. The sony is more than adequate to reproduce Dolby and DTS tracks (but then again, so is the whole setup you already have). I have not heard the N26 so I can't say for certain the N38 or above would offer you the leap you are looking for. You may just want to stick with what you have.

And as far as subs go:

I love the Sony with the N series.

I love the SVS with the S series.

James_Lyles

Auditioning
Check your local Best Buy for the N38s.With the new series II out, they have the series I on sale!!! I just picked up a pair of N38s for $99 each and a pair of N28s for $69 each!!!! IMO The N38s are smoother sounding compared to the N26s with music and HT.Go with the N38s up front with the N26s for surrounds.

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey. I just called around and found that 4 stores near me are selling them for $129 a piece. Which sotre had them for $99. Maybe I could have them Pm that store.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
We just sold our N38/N-Center/N24 speaker displays as a package today for $300. They were in great shape as no one had poked the dust caps or tweeters in. Every store is different. The actual close-out price for these were:

$260 a pair N38

$120 a pair N24

$120 for N-Center

So Jeff, it is really up to the store. We try and move the old to get in the new as fast as possible (no crazy $1.50 speaker sets, but within reason).

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Yea..i called around and found that 2 places and each had 1 speaker left. I might stop in and see if they could give me a deal

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget about the JBL series one Studio stuff being cleared out right now. Deals to be had.

Dennis Walsh

Auditioning
I was at Best Buy yesterday, looking at the JBL studio and ND floorstanding speakers. It sure wasn't an ideal listening environment, but I came away unimpressed with their sound. I had just come from Tweeter where I had listened to some Klipsch, Boston Acoustic and Mirage speakers which all had sounded better than the JBL s.

Just my two cents. Dennis

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My Bestbuy demos using a cheap yamaha integrated receiver and cheap speaker wire through an unreliable switchboard. (Usually one or more is broken)
I'd be suprised if the speakers you demoed didn't have smashed in tweeters.
However, after inspection that the speakers are in good condition and you find a song you are familiar with - I find bestbuy to be great to get a feel for a speaker.
JBL may not be the best but it sure beats the tar out of other brands at best buy. :)

Dennis Walsh

Auditioning
I'm looking into Paradigm Studio 60 or 80, Axiom M80 or M60ti, MIrage frx 7 or 9, B & W DM603 or 604 series 2, KLipsch RF 7 or 5, or JBL Studio. Any suggestions? Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks