I am upgrading my JBL HT system and need some pointers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., May 7, 2002.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Basically I really want to upgrade to some Towers. My setup right now is

Vr-507

Toshiba sd-1700

JBL N26

JBL N24

JBL NCenter

Sony Sawm-40

Phillips/Magnavox 27"

I was looking into the N38's and Nd310's. I have found the N38's for $120 each shipped and the 310's for $180 each. How do these speakers compare to what i have?

I was either thinking of selling the N26's and keeping the N24's for surround or selling the N24's and moving the N26's to the rear.

Please help me out. Any info would be great. Maybe i dont even need to upgrade since i bought everything in Dec/Jan 2002

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

Not to disagree with Phil who gets JBL its proper respect here on the forum, but if you need to upgrade, the N38s are awesome and blend very very well with the sony WM40 once tweaked. The sony is more than adequate to reproduce Dolby and DTS tracks (but then again, so is the whole setup you already have). I have not heard the N26 so I can't say for certain the N38 or above would offer you the leap you are looking for. You may just want to stick with what you have.

And as far as subs go:

I love the Sony with the N series.

I love the SVS with the S series.

4. James_Lyles

James_Lyles Auditioning

Check your local Best Buy for the N38s.With the new series II out, they have the series I on sale!!! I just picked up a pair of N38s for $99 each and a pair of N28s for $69 each!!!! IMO The N38s are smoother sounding compared to the N26s with music and HT.Go with the N38s up front with the N26s for surrounds.

5. Jeff Sch.

Hey. I just called around and found that 4 stores near me are selling them for $129 a piece. Which sotre had them for $99. Maybe I could have them Pm that store.

6. James_Lyles

James_Lyles Auditioning

It was the Best Buy on Two Notch Road in Columbia,SC.

7. Jeff Sch.

Could you post a reciept because every place up here has them for $130 a piece.

8. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

We just sold our N38/N-Center/N24 speaker displays as a package today for $300. They were in great shape as no one had poked the dust caps or tweeters in. Every store is different. The actual close-out price for these were:

$260 a pair N38

$120 a pair N24

$120 for N-Center

So Jeff, it is really up to the store. We try and move the old to get in the new as fast as possible (no crazy $1.50 speaker sets, but within reason).

9. Jeff Sch.

Yea..i called around and found that 2 places and each had 1 speaker left. I might stop in and see if they could give me a deal

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Don't forget about the JBL series one Studio stuff being cleared out right now. Deals to be had.

11. Dennis Walsh

Dennis Walsh Auditioning

I was at Best Buy yesterday, looking at the JBL studio and ND floorstanding speakers. It sure wasn't an ideal listening environment, but I came away unimpressed with their sound. I had just come from Tweeter where I had listened to some Klipsch, Boston Acoustic and Mirage speakers which all had sounded better than the JBL s.

Just my two cents. Dennis

12. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My Bestbuy demos using a cheap yamaha integrated receiver and cheap speaker wire through an unreliable switchboard. (Usually one or more is broken)
    I'd be suprised if the speakers you demoed didn't have smashed in tweeters.
    However, after inspection that the speakers are in good condition and you find a song you are familiar with - I find bestbuy to be great to get a feel for a speaker.
    JBL may not be the best but it sure beats the tar out of other brands at best buy. [​IMG]

13. Dennis Walsh

Dennis Walsh Auditioning

I'm looking into Paradigm Studio 60 or 80, Axiom M80 or M60ti, MIrage frx 7 or 9, B & W DM603 or 604 series 2, KLipsch RF 7 or 5, or JBL Studio. Any suggestions? Dennis