I am thinking about doing clinical testing to pay for my big screen. Advice? anyone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Need that Mitsubishi....

I am going to try and do clinical testing. Simple enough. Anyone do this yet? Horror stories? Success?

Will I grow a 3rd nipple or something?:b

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I did a clinical trial about 6 years ago, Acid Reflux GERD. I think overall I was paid $800. They gave me one of 3 medicines, unmarked, I went in once a month. They picked me up, jacked me up with Demerol

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Thank you Zen for making sense of the post...Wasn't sure what was meant by "clinical trial". [​IMG]
    How much does the sperm bank pay? Although I suppose they'd turn me away since I'm not 6 feet tall, blonde, and blue-eyed, which seems to be all the rage nowadays. :wink:

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I used to do asthma studies, and the clinics loved me because I have pretty sever asthma. The only problem is, the studies are pretty long, and if I didnt get the real drug or if I had to go off some of my other medication, I was fucked, and by the time the study was over, I was so miserable it wasnt worth it. Although, they did pay a few thousand dollars IIR.

5. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Charles,

Was your testing through MDS in Lincoln? Or was it from somewhere here in town?

And you would say it is not worth it? Any other reasons? How long was your test?

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Dude, this is your BODY we're talking about. You won't get another one. It just seems too risky to me. But then again, everything could quite possibly turn out alright.

There must be easier ways of coming up with that kind of cash.

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Well, to answer a couple questions,
    Jeff, two or three were through Creighton Asthma and Imunology center and then I did two at University of Iowa Hospital and Schools while I was in college. The two at Iowa were much less disruptive to my existing treatment, and therefore, much less disruptive to my life. And to address Matt, at least two of the 4-5 studies were for new deliver methods of approved asthma drugs. Drug manufacturers have been looking for years for ways to get rid of CFC deliver methods for inhaled medication. So, how well I felt during the study depended on if I was on real medication or placebo, if they required me to go off any of my other medication, and if the deliver method (dry powder, battery operated device, etc) was effective enough to deliver the drug, even if it was real. Also, there was never any risk of damaging my body (worse than it already is) becuase none of these could be considered "highly experimental" by any stretch of the imagination. I just found that with a disease like asthma, and breathing being such an important activity, that by the end of the study, I often wondered if the payoff was worth the discomfort.

Also, Jeff, maybe you should give some detail as to what kind of study this is. If someone wants to pay you $1000 to see if taking 500mg of a decongestant once a day is more effective than taking 250mg twice a day, then go for it, but if they want to shoot some experimental formula into your testicles just to see what happens, then thats different.

8. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Ever thought of doing comsumer product surveys/focus groups. You can get your name on a list and youcan give your opinions on anything from beer bottle design(I did one like this) toys to clothing colors. Thes best one I did was the "chili" survey. I got paid $300 to take an antacid reducing tablet(placebo or real)and eat a bowl of chili. Then after about an hour, tell them wether I was experiencing any heartburn. Too easy!

Pay generally ranges in the $50-65 for a couple of hours.

9. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I called Creighton and signed up for the allergy one.
    I sit in a park for 15 hours with 100 other people and jot down results. I get 250 for the ordeal.
    Not too shabby[​IMG]

10. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I had a buddy in college who financed his alcoholism through UIUC's Psych Dept. testing...

11. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I just broke down and bought the t.v. [​IMG] I will still do the testing though!

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Did you take advantage of Mits one year no interest/no payments offer? I did it this way and paid it off in 10 months.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

You bet I did. Here Mitsubishi is doing the 17 month NO PAYMENTS OR INTEREST!! NOT too bad at all! I'll have that puppy paid in no time![​IMG]
    Sinve you have a Mits t.v. you might want to help me. I have a few questions over in the HT Basics thread. It entitled "help the noobie with a few HT terms"

14. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I've had a steady income from the huge number of schools in the Atlanta area for years. There are always plenty of income sources to be had.

Currently I'm in an anthrax study testing how best to administer the vaccine, which should pay about $1250 ($50 / session) and I get a nice vacine to protect me against the crazies out there mailing spores about.

Likewise I'm in a study studying leg muscles where they hook up electrodes to your leg (no pain at all, just measuring current). This one pays $150 for 3 sessions, each one taking a few hours on the weekend.

My wife is involved too. She's taking a pysch study about memory/visual stimulus, but the pay isn't nearly as good, coming in at $10/session for 25 one hour visits.