What's new

I am still choosing the righ amps, help... (1 Viewer)

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Mirage M5 which are not on the efficient side for sure, ~83dB in a chamber and about 87dB in room sensitivity, 6 ohms nominal load. When paired with a Bryston 4BSST and they sounded great, but this is also a great 300w/ch stereo amp with plenty of current. I may upgrade the speakers at some point but future sensitivity is unknown...

I will need amplification for more channels though. My eyes were set on Bryston 9BSST but I could not try it to see if:

- it will be enough to drive the speakers to moderately loud level (I value my ears) with perfect clarity.

- the 4BSST is a superior sounding amp in general.

So based on the above, I could decide if I would go with:

- 4BSST for the fronts (or even 6BSST to cover the center as well) and 9BST (used, not an SST version) for the rest, or

- 9BSST for all channels except the rears which will be driven by an old 2 channel Rotel (not a concern for me)

Opinions are appreciated,

GK

Yogi

Screenwriter
I would suggest a 4BSST for the fronts and maybe a 3BSST bi-amping the center as the center carries most of the load in movie soundtracks so, IMHO its amplification should be at par with the front L/R if not better. The rest of the channels can be driven by any competent amp that can drive em to reference levels and a 9BSST would be perfectly fine in your case. I dont know if my suggestion makes financial sense but IMHO would be the best way to realise the full potential of your front three channels.

P.S. Sorry I wasnt familiar with the 6BSST (when I posted my response) but in your case it would make the most sense to have the front three driven by it. So you can disregard my last suggestion.

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Yogi,

Did you mean bridging the 3BSST? To follow you suggestion, I might go straight to the 3 channel Bryston 6BSST which should be the same as 4BSST quality and power wise but with one more channel. The extra channel in the 6BSST would be cheaper compared to a bridged 3BSST. Then the rest, rear and side surround, can be driven by:

- existing Rotel for the surrounds and a cheap and small amp for the rears, if I have a third amp box it should be tiny

- Anthem PVA7, an economic alternative with three extra channels to spare, potentially for a second zone (not a near term plan)

- using a Bryston 9BST for the rear and surrounds only seems overkill to me.

I could try to stretch to get a 4BSST (L and R) and 9BSST (center and the rest), the most expensive option, which will probably give the parity across the fronts (???), and across the rear, as a side effect.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Sorry, I did mean bridged. Thanks for correcting me. Also I agree the 6BSST would be cheaper than the bridged 3BSST. The options for the surround channels are in the same priority you put them in. The cheapest being the Rotel + a third small amp and then PVA7 and the last option being the 9BSST which would infact be an overkill for the surrounds.

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
Fresh from the news... just got it from Bryston's rep while asking a few questions (to which I got virtually instantaneous response BTW).

9B SST just got a Class A rating in the April Issue of Stereophile. Cannot wait to read this. Any idea when this comes out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks