What's new

I am sorry I did it anyway (plus ?) (1 Viewer)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Well, I would like to start off by saying I am sorry. I came in here looking for advise, I recieved some but then went against what I was told. Then again, I am completely happy with my setup. I was told by someone not to go with the Onkyo system at Circuit City, but I got it anyway. I don't see what is so bad with it. It sounds pretty good how I have it setup, and for 280 bucks I have 5 new speakers, a sub and a 5 year warranty. I really like it.

I do have a question on sub placement though. I have two subs now. The 50 watt Sony that came in my HTiB and the 150 Watt Onkyo. What would be the best way to set them up? Should I have one near the back and one near the front or right by each other? Any help would be great.

Casey Stoddard

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Considering the two subs in question, if I were hooking them up, I would use to 50W Sony as a dedicated surround sub (wire the surround speakers through it) and the 150W sub as an LFE sub up front. Of course the real test is the listening test. If the 50W sub muddied up the soundstage then I would do without it and use the one sub up front.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
if you are talking about the onkyo htib, i have read some very good reviews on it, i like their receivers but have not heard their speakers.
afa subs, 2 isn't necessarily better than one. depending on room size and placement, one might do nicely alone. another idea is to place them next to each other to help increase output levels.

David Dhaus

Agent
Why would you be sorry??!? I too came here for advice. Due to my very limited budget and future considerations (braces for youngest, college for oldest, food, etc., etc.) I determined that HTIB was the way to go - for me. And the Onkyo 650 was, for me, the best of the HTIBs in my price range. But where did you get it for $280????? (I'm assuming it is the 650 as you reference a 150W sub.) I can't add anything to the second sub issue. Enjoy your system.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Casey what's the scoop? You have yourself a great starter system. I would put it a notch or two above the Ken 504 and the 505. Trust me on this, you "can" spend allot more money and not be able to tell that big of a difference if any? The sub you can replace down the road and that will give you the most audible impact. The 650 will do a good job for you. Just be sure to calibrate and replace wire with 14 gage and proper setup. Your cook-in! IMO--I would closet the Sony amp and have it for a spare if your Onkyo sub should break down. You can never have to many subs laying around.:b

CaseyLS

Second Unit
For now I diconnected the Sony sub it just didn't sound right. I was also wondering if a sub cable is just a regular RCA cable or is it something completely different. I know an RCA cable will work, but I am not sure if I am getting the full effect.

Here's a complete list of what I have now:
Sony 80x5 Reciever
Onkyo 5.1 speaker system
32" RCA TV
Sony DVD NSP715 (I think)

Anyway the DVD is connected to the reciever with a digital coax and to the tv with component inputs. Not bad for a college dorm. My brother also gave a spool of AR 18 speaker wire. If I get the time and a set of wire cutters I will run all the wire .too

I have found that working two jobs during the summer leaves you with little time to jack around but the payoff has been awesome. I also have all my bills paid for the year.

Casey Stoddard

David Dhaus

Agent
Now I see. You got the onkyo speaker package, not the full receiver/speaker package. If you have a home depot nearby, check them out for speaker wire. I think you may want to go down a bit from the 18 ga. I have 16 ga. and it certainly seems to be sufficient for me. You will probably want to upgrade the sub cable as well. Acoustic Resources at Best Buy for $15.00 did the trick for me. I really like the system. Good luck with it.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
0They're putting a ome depot in here in Manhattan in a month or so so I might check it out

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
as long as you like your system, that's all that matters. pretty much everything you read here is subjective anyway. it sounds like you've got a really decent setup. enjoy!
regarding the subs, i also wonder if two subs will really work better for you. i worry about cancellation effects. i would definitely run the more powerful sub first. then add the second one to see if you like it.
a tip on sub placement. put the sub where you want, then get on your hands and knees. crawl around the room until you find where the sub sounds "best". that should be the optimal position for your sub. at least that's what i've heard...never tried it myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks