I am so screwed... (machine screwed actually)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Greg Yeatts, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I built my Tumult enclosure. When it came time to use t-nuts and machine screws I used some #8-24 t-nuts and screws that I had on-hand and I bought some addittional t-muts and machine screws at a local big box home improvement store. Initially, #8-24 machine screws were common locally. I had to get some more screws and t-nuts because a t-nut and screw stripped. I did not want to re-use several of the machine screws because the heads were showing signs of wear.

Now, no #8-24 screws are available. Not only are they not in stock at the big box retailer and a local hardware store, the labels in the bins are no longer there. It appears that no local retailers carry these t-nuts and screws. I already have the t-nuts mounted in a box. What can I do?

I thought about converting to threaded inserts. but there is very little meat available in the driver recess. The driver is a Tumult and I used a cutout of 14.125" (this is what was recommended, but is a little large.) There is less than 1/4" space between the #8 screw hole and the edge of the recess.

I will appreciate any input in this matter.

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

when i built my tempest i got a box of 10-24 along with 8-24 machine screws at my local fastener supply store it was an entire box of each with accompanying t-nuts. it was like 36 bucks, i actually gave the left over hardware to the guy who helped me build my tempest. To bad i will soon need more hardware and will have to shell out about 40 more bucks for screws and nuts.

try a commercial fastener place and buy the box, and now you can justify building another sub, or two or three [​IMG]

3. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

That's good advice, and you can usually buy them by the piece. When we built a deck we found that the Depot was literally 5 times more for galvanized bolts etc. Unbelievable how they ream you on fasteners.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I installed Hurricane nuts I got from PE on an AV12/PR project I finished yesterday and I'll never use anything else. Much easier to use than ordinary T-nuts. They have the machine screws, too. I tend to use 10/24 or 10/32 on sub projects.

[​IMG]

5. www.mcmaster.com

you can get any screw you want from there [​IMG]

My lab orders stuff from them weekly and have gotten numerous odd-ball threadings/materials for some of our equipment. Not the cheapest, but they have practically everything.