I Am So Mad!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Johnson, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

alright...tonight me and 3 friends were gonna go out to the race track to see some cool cars ya know..no harm... so we all get on the highway and my friend in front guns it to merge with traffic.... and me and my other two friends follow... bout then i see flashing lights fly past me..they pull over my friend that got on the highway first...

well, we slow down and pull to the shoulder to wait for the officer to give my friend the ticket and be on our way.. (didn't wanna get seperated in traffic) well the officer tickets my friend, and right when we're gettin ready to leave and the officer is walking back to his car he waves his arms at us to pull up..thinking he's just gonna wave us on, back into the traffic we pull on up..well get this... HE STOPS US AND TICKETS US TOO!...

now thats not even right man... first off... i never did speed...sure i gunned it and accelerated fast to get on, but i never went over 70mph... and second....he didn't even write my car down right on the ticket! he wrote 88' 2dr Plymouth..and it's a freakin 91' Eagle Talon TSi

and 3rd... he wrote down 85 in a 70 on MY ticket... and he radared my friend that he pulled over.....what's up with that? can cops just GUESS your speed like that... if they can than that's fu**ed up! every mph over the speed limit cost money out of MY POCKET.... and cops are allowed to just GUESS your damn speed....

and btw, right after we did finally leave the cop pulls over what seemed to be the next car that passed...i mean, i don't even think his lights went off....

do you think there's any way to fight this? i mean come on...i drive on the interstate every day like that and the cops don't do anything they pretty much sit on there fat asses and eat donuts all month...but then when it comes time for them to get there quota in they pull you over if you look at em wrong...

needless to say, i'm outraged by this...

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

fight it

well actually look into the law a bit first. there's always someone that will say you can get out of a speeding ticket if they mis-spell your name. not sure if this is an urban legend or what, but it's definitely worth your time to attempt to fight it.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Shouldn't be a problem getting out of that ... wrong car.

4. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I would fight it, show up at court, chances are your officer won't be there (not if he's giving tickets to everyone getting on the interstate) Most people when they feel they have been wronged just pay the ticket and that's why this guy probably hands out so many, I mean if you were to write 100 tickets a day and only 2 showed up at court and got out of paying the ticket that would make your day worth while with 98 paid tickets. And when cops have to show up at court it eat into their time...that's why many don't show up and things get thrown out of court. Write down all the facts that you remember, and point out in court that if this officer can't even get the type of car you are driving right then maybe he didn't get the speed right either.

I am not in any way saying that cops are bad, I appreciate law enforcement and am glad that it is around, but if you feel honestly that you have been slighted then by all means fight it.

Good luck to you.

Eve

5. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Get the cop to swear as to the make and model of the vehicle that was speeding and then present the judge with the registration to your vehicle pointing out that it is not the car cited.

That should do it.

6. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

thanks for all the imput guys (and gals, eve [​IMG] ) i've decided to fight it... everyone i've told about this thinks i should too... the idea of making the cop swear to the make and model of the car speeding is a very good plan...that's what i'm gonna do right there...
    does anyone have any idea about court costs, etc? is it gonna cost any extra to fight it?
    what if i lose?

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Make a court date. Then, call at the last minute and cancel. The cop, you see, probably has a day set aside to go to court and go through all of his tickets; if you get the court to reschedule at the last minute, they'll just throw in the next available date, and the cop will have more difficulties.

Of course, seeing as how he put the wrong car on the ticket, it'll get thrown out.

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Don't forget he did not radar your car, just your friends. Therefore he cannot say exactly how fast you were going. And your right, cops can't just guess how fast you are going and write a ticket.

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

They can "guess" what speed you are going in many states. They are required to take exams that test their ability to judge speed over flat ground. In GA I have had friends who have gotten non-radar tickets for this very thing.

All things considered Zane, you should have no trouble beating this ticket. Make sure you ask the officer for the videotape of him pulling you over, radar tracks, and the make/model of your car.

I think TX requires their state troopers to videotape, and he should bring it to court.

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

That sonofabitchin bastard! I can't wait to see what comes out of this...I hope he pays YOU restitution then gets demoted, stuck at a desk job, and eventually has a mental breakdown. Then he'll have to spend the rest of his life in a rubber closet where he'll drink his food thru a straw.

11. Rain

Rain Producer

[sarcasm]Wow, a cop abusing his power...that hardly ever happens.[/sarcasm]

12. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Ok, lets go through this whole thing.

#1 - What type of radar did he have? If he had lazer radar, he could have gotten you, your friend, the car behind you, and the car behind them. Lazer radar is target specific. You need to find that out before you make the assumption.

#2 - Wrong car on your ticket. It happens. If the prosecutor feels it is a problem, they will dismiss that ticket, and have the officer write a new ticket, with the correct information. It doesn't automatically mean that you win. Sorry!

#3 - If you truly believe you have been wrongfully charged, fight the ticket in court. Bring witnesses who were with you to testify. Hire an attorney, if need be. Police officers do make mistakes. That's why we have court.

#4 - Please remember that other police officers are home theater forum members. Comments like

13. Rain

Rain Producer

14. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Look in the phone book and find one of the lawfirms in your town that specialize in traffic citations. They usually guarantee their service (you win the case or your money back), they usually have a flat fee (I think here in S. Florida it's like $100), and generally are very good (I've had a 100% success rate with them).

If you don't want to go the lawyer route, don't just show up in court hoping the officer won't show up, do some preperation work before the case. There are a bunch of books written about the subject, hit Amazon and take a look for them.

And as for my rant about cops and such. Every officer I have met while not on the recieving end of a violation have been very nice. And usually when getting a ticket they are at least cordial. I couldn't imagine the kind of stress there must be having to go through that all the time, so if an officer is a little short with you, remember every time he walks up to a car somewhere in his mind he knows it could be his last. Now one time I came across one idiot, he violated a few civil rights and was generally a moron. I quick call to his department and a nice chat with his supervisor after it was all over with was all I needed to do to feel better. Comments about other things like sitting around ticketing people for no good reason, etc. Remember, in those cases an officer is following what his boss's tell him to do, I would bet that not a single uniformed officer wakes up in the morning saying "Now am I going to go out and investigate crimes and capture criminals, or am I going to go out and ticket people for going 5mph over the limit".....

Andrew