I am so confused

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Grant B, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I think computers were put on this earth to humble people....and I am
    I have only been trying to burn a DVD with my burner for a year and a half so I guess I am a newbee. I have plenty of nice silver $5 coasters but none of which are watchable unless you are blind.
    My latest attempt is this:
    We had a pal tape of our trip to Egypt transfered to a DVD by a store and it works fine,
    The DVD-R has 2 vob files each about 1 Gig and around an hour or so.
    I would like to edit it down and since all you hear is blowing stand add a little music and make it watchable.
    Seems pretty straight forward.
    When I add them to my Project in Roxio Easy DVD builder 6, they show up as 12 and 30 seconds!!!!
    What happaned to the rest of my video? 1 Gigabite=12 seconds??

Yesterday a friend came over and I just started going over all the things I did in the past few days to my computer. He couldnt believe all the info I knew to which I exclaimed...
    "I NEVER WANTED TO KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT MY FRIGGIN GD COMPUTER IN MY LIFE, I JUST WANT TO MAKE A @#$%^&* DVD OF MY TRIP"

Outside of the internet and email I have had boatanchors more usefull. Is it too much to ask without getting a mind meld with Bill Gates to actually get an application to work????
    Sorry, I just hate computers with a passion right now (I know I am subtle about it)

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Are you demuxing the VOB files? You need to strip out the audio and video streams and them perform the editing on them using a video editing package.

Ideally, the editing should have been done before converting to DVD.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Rob
    Thanks, no I have never run across that.What program would demux a VOB File?
    Since I sold all my PAL equipment when I left England, I needed to have it converted to NTSC somehow.
    Same cost for DVD or vhs so I had it converted to DVD thinking it would be easier to edit it.
    Silly Me

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Grant, your best bet is to go www.dvdrhelp.com and trawl through the various how-to guides. Be warned though, it's not something you can learn in five minutes flat and this type of project is definitely not for a computer novice.