I am so amazed sometimes by... (doctors)...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Sep 9, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Jul 8, 1999
    I was watching a show last night on Discovery Health channel called Super Surgery. About the reconstruction of a woman's face. Her face was deformed by a genetic disease. And to fix it. They had to break and rearrange bones, add bone and fat. Sanddown some protruding bone in her forehead. It was amazing.
    It really was amazing what surgeons can do these days.
  2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    11 years back I had major eye surgery (warning, description is graphic). I had a glass smashed in my face that caused a 3/4" shard to penetrate my eye just above the top lid. I eventually made it to the Mass. Eye and Ear institute. One of the top surgeons in the country removed the damaged vitrous gel from my eye, reattached my retina with a laser "spot weld" and closed up my eye. To keep the eye from deflating due to the loss of vitreous, he filled it with inert argon gas like he was filling a basketball. I thought I was going to be blind and now I have around 20/40 vision when I wear my replacement lens (my real lens inside my eye was damaged and removed). This was all done by a big hulking german guy who had fingers that looked like knockwursts. How he could do something so delicate, I don't know. I'm not a sentimental guy, but when I got the lens and looked at a somewhat blury eyechart, seeing from the eye for the first time in 6 months, I cried. The doctor asked in accented english "Are you happy?" I told him, through my tears, "Yes". He only replied "Then I am happy".

Years later I learned from my current opthamologist that Dr. Jalk (the surgeon from above) spends a few months in Lebanon every 2 years. He does retinas and my current doc does corneas. All for free. The next time someone complains about the cost of medical care, remember Dr. Jalk.

Oh and I forgot to tell... I had no medical insurance at the time of my injury and the doc's reply to this was "Money? I don't vorry about money. Let the front desk vorry about money. I just fix eyes." Yes, and "just" fixing eyes is more than enough.[​IMG]
  3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Aug 29, 1999
    Great story, Jeff. [​IMG] Glad you're OK now, thanks to Dr. Jalk.

I'm also glad physicians and surgeons make enough money that they can afford to give up their time and expertise for months at a time.

The fees that are charged to insurance companies and passed on through insurance premiums can be eyeopening, however.